cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Newfoundland

jobythebay
Explorer
Explorer
Hi we are planning a trip for about 5 weeks from MA. I've read the posts but have a couple of questions. I called and was told that we could stay in the MH with out dogs. If we take them out they have to be muzzled!! No way. They are wee wee pad trained when they can't go out so that isn't a problem. Anyone with experience with dogs?

Any info about phones? i.e do we need a special phone or plan to go to that part of Canada. BTW, we have done Nova Scotia, PEI, etc. and didn't want to come home!!

Any other tips would be great. We just got a Frommer's book out of the library - they are something like $24.00 to buy (: so I know we'll get info there but it's always better to hear from RVers. Thanks:W
Jo, Elliott, Cloey and Zoey, Havanese sisters
who JUST bought a Georgetown 328TS Class A and will be towing a 2010 Toyota Corolla.
31 REPLIES 31

trailerbikecamp
Explorer
Explorer
jobythebay wrote:
trailerbikecamper wrote:
I am planning a trip for my parents to come for a visit here. Just to yake in 3 festivals of the many that happen every summer, will take them at least 3 weeks. To take in the many sights around our place is another 2 weeks.

My suggestion is to plan your trip then add 50% on to the time to allow for extended stays when you find something interesting.

Also check out icebergfinder.com while you are here. If you are here early enough you ma
y see some from places like Twilingate, or St. Anthony.

We are planning 5 weeks. We could do longer but I have an elderly mom who freaks out when I'm gone...not really..she is taken care of very well but she misses me.

If you send me the tentative dates I can send a few ideas on where to go and things to see. There are lots of festivals and concerts all over the island in the summer.
Dan

jobythebay
Explorer
Explorer
trailerbikecamper wrote:
I am planning a trip for my parents to come for a visit here. Just to yake in 3 festivals of the many that happen every summer, will take them at least 3 weeks. To take in the many sights around our place is another 2 weeks.

My suggestion is to plan your trip then add 50% on to the time to allow for extended stays when you find something interesting.

Also check out icebergfinder.com while you are here. If you are here early enough you ma
y see some from places like Twilingate, or St. Anthony.

We are planning 5 weeks. We could do longer but I have an elderly mom who freaks out when I'm gone...not really..she is taken care of very well but she misses me.
who JUST bought a Georgetown 328TS Class A and will be towing a 2010 Toyota Corolla.

trailerbikecamp
Explorer
Explorer

Also check out icebergfinder.com while you are here. If you are here early enough you may see some from places like Twilingate, or St. Anthony.
Dan

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
We went for only three weeks and saw a great deal. But I'd stay at least a month next time and be open to lingering when we find a great spot. A whole summer would be great.

I planned our trip very carefully and stuck to the plan because we had scheduled about five visits (not overnights) with my husband's relatives all around the island. His late mother was born there on the Baie Verte Peninsula near La Scie.

You probably already know that Newfoundlanders are warm and welcoming. A great many have Irish roots because men came to work in the fisheries in the 1800s. An excellent museum called The Rooms in St. John's tells the history. A lot of the small coastal towns like La Scie were "Outports" that could only be reached by boat and had no electric, phone, etc until the 1950s when some were connected by road (others were closed by the government and the people relocated.)

I wrote an article about our visit that was published in MotorHome Magazine last year. If you'd like a copy, send me a private message with your email, and I'll email it to you.

jobythebay
Explorer
Explorer
NCWriter wrote:
It would be a shame if you cancel based on worries about Hwy One, the TransCanada in Newfoundland! It's a major highway, better than many stretches of US Interstates I've driven.

Newfoundland is a delightful RV destination and we are sure to return after the great experience we had in 2012.

The short ferry is much less expensive, so we took it both ways and found fun things to see driving back, like the wonderful aviation museum at Gander.

Have a great trip!

Thanks.yes we will go and do the 500 miles back so we can take the shorter ferry back too. How long did you go for?

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
It would be a shame if you cancel based on worries about Hwy One, the TransCanada in Newfoundland! It's a major highway, better than many stretches of US Interstates I've driven.

Newfoundland is a delightful RV destination and we are sure to return after the great experience we had in 2012.

The short ferry is much less expensive, so we took it both ways and found fun things to see driving back, like the wonderful aviation museum at Gander.

Have a great trip!

trailerbikecamp
Explorer
Explorer
I also want to add that even though the roads are paved some roads inside some of the historic towns are VERY narrow. I will use Brigus, since it is close to me, but the roads are so narrow within the town itself, that when 2 cars pass each has to be part way on to the shoulder.

Not all towns are like this, only the historical ones, that promote their historical significance, and only within the town itself. Even so I didn't have any trouble towing my 30ft fiver through the town last year.
Dan

Z-Peller
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveller wrote:
CA Traveler wrote:

Call Verizon before you leave the US and add Telus cell for $15/month, no change to your plan. Data will be expensive. Minimum cell towers so don't expect coverage as you're driving.

For 9 years I did nothing and had no damage to the toad - but welcome to the Alaskan Highway. Replaced the windshield and have rock damage on the paint. Been a lot of years since we've been to Newfoundland but would expect the same today.

What to do:
1. If you have a rear mud flap near the bumper that is less that 5" from the ground remove it. It will kick up the rocks and it's only purpose is for advertising and marketing anyway.
2. A vertical shield will reflect rocks forward and damage MH paint or radiator. At least put damping material on it. Anything below the shield like a radiator won't be protected.
3. A custom made tight fitting bra works but does require washing every day to remove the dirt under it. Otherwise the paint will be rubbed off.
4. The Protect A Tow type device is the best protection.
5. Cover the side mirrors.
6. When meeting traffic pull over as far as possible and slow way down or better yet stop.

I'd say the MH was hit by about 8-10 rocks from oncoming traffic last year. Truckers were the best as they would pull over as far as possible. RVs and tourists were clueless. The worst were the locals. Rock damage is a way of life and they drove fast.

Better check your geography CA Traveller.....OP asking about Newfoundland, not Alaska highway. You are about 4500 miles too far west!
Port Aux Basque to St Johns is a very good highway.
Bill..
2017 Bigfoot 10.4 camper...2016 GMC 3500 4x4 Xcab Duramax Dually...

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good to know that the roads have improved since I was there last. Actually paved roads could be worse than gravel roads due to the type of paving ie chip seal and speed not that I said anything about gravel roads.

The suggestions I made were mainly concerning rock damage to a toad and are applicable to any road.

BTW The entire 1,300+ miles of the Alaskan Highway are paved and a number of us did have rock damage in 2013. The OP is concerned about a new rig and itโ€™s good to be prepared. But sorry if I hit a nerve with anyone.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
Been to Ireland and been to Newfoundland last year...DIFFERENT.

Tch 1 is a major road and it is wide and paved and most of the other roads are just fine...not gravel! Yeah there are some very minor gravel road but you don't need to go there at all.

Don't miss out...it will be a very memorable trip!

trailerbikecamp
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
Call Verizon before you leave the US and add Telus cell for $15/month, no change to your plan. Data will be expensive. Minimum cell towers so don't expect coverage as you're driving.

For 9 years I did nothing and had no damage to the toad - but welcome to the Alaskan Highway. Replaced the windshield and have rock damage on the paint. Been a lot of years since we've been to Newfoundland but would expect the same today.

What to do:
1. If you have a rear mud flap near the bumper that is less that 5" from the ground remove it. It will kick up the rocks and it's only purpose is for advertising and marketing anyway.
2. A vertical shield will reflect rocks forward and damage MH paint or radiator. At least put damping material on it. Anything below the shield like a radiator won't be protected.
3. A custom made tight fitting bra works but does require washing every day to remove the dirt under it. Otherwise the paint will be rubbed off.
6. When meeting traffic pull over as far as possible and slow way down or better yet stop.

I'd say the MH was hit by about 8-10 rocks from oncoming traffic last year. Truckers were the best as they would pull over as far as possible. RVs and tourists were clueless. The worst were the locals. Rock damage is a way of life and they drove fast.

Where do you think we live? You make it sound like we're still in igloos!!!

Newfoundland has paved roads, including secondaries!!! The only gravel roads are a few local roads.

Yes there are frost heaves in the spring but they are mostly gone now.

Been driving here for close to 10yrs. Never had so much as a rock chip on my personal vehicle. Even when I took it to the construction site where I work, (they have all gravel roads).

Talk to the ones who live here to find the truth.
Dan

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
The dogs will be fine. The Protect A Tow is about $220. We always enjoy Canada. Go for it!

Bob

jobythebay
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:

What to do:

Ok so I'd say this trip is getting less and less likely. Between the dogs and the fact our MH is brand new and hubby doesn't do his own anything (unless it involves numbers)this is starting to sound scarier than the roads in Ireland, where btw, we took out unlimited car insurance - oh it was called walk away- which was great since we damaged the passenger mirror. :E

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III

What to do:

Bob