โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats
21 REPLIES 21

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
moisheh wrote:
The perps had weapons but were overwhelmed by the Army guys. No shoot out occurred. They were arrested and hauled away. Probably set them free within a few hours!!!! I really did not see any humour in the above comments.

Moisheh

This type of comment is exactly why I avoid the 5 0'clock news.
Crime is over-covered and overstated when compared to world events.
I'm plain sick of it.
It like a bunch of junior high school students.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
-Yeats

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
The perps had weapons but were overwhelmed by the Army guys. No shoot out occurred. They were arrested and hauled away. Probably set them free within a few hours!!!! I really did not see any humour in the above comments.

Moisheh

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
Big Hat No Horse wrote:
Extending information services even further, I wonder how the Chinese / Nicaraguan canal plan is going and how that will affect opinions in Central American and Mexico? There's a lot more going on in the world than just Mexico

The Chinese have a long and illustrious history building "Grand Canals". Heck, their first canal (the Han Gou) was started in ~486 BC. And, the Beijing-Hangzhou Grand Canal (hand dug, built over a number of centuries) acquired UNESCO World Heritage Site status. The issue with Nicaragua is: this "Gran Canal" will traverse one of the world's most bio diverse lowland jungles, effectively cutting off any north-->south-->north species movement (a job already effectively handled naturally over the past tens of thousands of years by the Rio Coco, thank you very much); remember the Paseo Pantera project? This is not to understate the complete severing of local 2-legged inhabitants' historical/traditional movements the same direction(s)...

The 2 (or, 3) Dutch firms purported to be undertaking the EIA for "Grand Canal" have yet to release any prelim (hmmm?).

If anyone is interested in reading the 06/13 "Acuerdo Marco de Implementaciรณn" (official proposal agreement) for this project, here they are:

Acuerdo...

...and:

Orientaciones del Presidente de la Republica, Comandante Daniel Ortega Saavedra: confidencial

I hope this helps?
Silver-
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
An almost shoot out?

Maybe they had guns and no amo and all shouted BANG, BANG, you are dead!

navegator

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
So what entails an almost shoot out? men without guns or guns without men?

....men with guns with opposing positions, loaded, but no triggers pulled; both side get preempted by Policรญa Federal, PF (??)
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

tepetapan
Explorer
Explorer
" Back in March or April there was an almost shoot out in Kino when a high level drug lord was arrested. "
So what entails an almost shoot out? men without guns or guns without men?

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Mexico News is an excellent source of business news as well as some political stuff. I have been reading this since it started and thoroughly enjoy the info. If you have been reading this paper you would know that Canada is losing much of it's auto industry to Mexico. Sad news but good to know. There used to be 2 English language dailies and one had a good website. But they are all gone. We have El Imparcial delivered to the house but it too leaves out a lot of news. Back in March or April there was an almost shoot out in Kino when a high level drug lord was arrested. Never made the newspaper.

Moisheh

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
I think it is good to have some news from a country I would like to visit. Is there other newspaper in English in Mexico? If so,let us know which one so we can have different point of view. I mean news from Mexico, not from USA about Mexico.
Monaco Cayman 34 2003, Cummins 300HP
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
. . .In short, believe .00000000001% of what you read about important social and crime issues. . .

Personally, I tend to skip over all of those type stories. Just like I refer to the US 5 o'clock TV news as the "Who killed who show." It's not really news and I avoid it.
When a large company has plans to develop something anywhere, it can affect friends and relatives - perhaps even myself. THAT is something worth observing.

Extending information services even further, I wonder how the Chinese / Nicaraguan canal plan is going and how that will affect opinions in Central American and Mexico?

There's a lot more going on in the world than just Mexico.
It doesn't hurt to have a window on news that is local to each country.
But that's just my opinion.
For many, ignorance is bliss.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
Eagle Cap Owners
-Yeats

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Wonderful. Business information serves a specific tiny segment of society. Suzuki plans new plant in Tijuana. Yawn. SecGob meets with Chinese Trade Representative (snark).

Accurate news is hard to come by as 99% of it comes incredibly filtered and tinted through the Mexican government. The back page of Mexican newspapers is full of crime reports, but it is all low level stuff. The kind of crime that avoids getting the editor beheaded and reporters boiled in a vat of acid.

The great problem is Mexican society itself. It has had centuries of experience to train and gain superlative expertise in the art of Machiavellian plots and conspiratorial finger pointing. In short, believe .00000000001% of what you read about important social and crime issues.

The government is about as transparent as lead and less honest than that guy who wants to ship you seven tons of gold from Nigeria.

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
MM49 wrote:
. . .
Most of the comments on this site are from operators in the tourist trade. Their information would not serve you well in some of the rougher parts of Mexico. . .
MM49

Totally false. The articles are each attributed to a source.
And they are not "comments".

For example:
Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company said last May it was planning a new consumer tire plant for North America to serve replacement and original equipment markets in North and Latin America. Initial production capacity was to be six million passenger and light truck/SUV tires per year.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
Eagle Cap Owners
-Yeats

tepetapan
Explorer
Explorer
qtla9111 wrote:
Beats the heck out of Borderland Beat that selectively chooses the articles to translate. Many people think it is "their" news. Just Mexican articles reported by Mexicans and then translated. The comments are mostly hateful remarks from another country.

Borderland Beat is not a news source by any stretch of the imagination. It is a trash rag, making " Soldier of Fortune" magazine look like "60 Minutes". No office address, no names of editors or owners and a statement in fine print saying they DO NOT fact check stories.
Anyone who believes what they post is a moron.

MM49
Explorer
Explorer
Kidoo wrote:
MM49 wrote:
This will go over like a lead balloon. No need for the truth on this website.
MM49

?? What do you mean?

Most of the comments on this site are from operators in the tourist trade. Their information would not serve you well in some of the rougher parts of Mexico. I know, I've been working in industry in Mexico for the past 37 years. The charlatans on this site should go back to selling fake jewelry on the beaches.
MM49

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Beats the heck out of Borderland Beat that selectively chooses the articles to translate. Many people think it is "their" news. Just Mexican articles reported by Mexicans and then translated. The comments are mostly hateful remarks from another country.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog