cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Nova Scotia to Dunedin, Florida

Stormyjij
Explorer
Explorer
Can we really do this? Am I crazy to think that we can pack up our 36' Cedar Creek and head out just before Christmas to Florida for 9 weeks, returning the last week of February??? It seems a daunting task, and so very far to travel.
We are new to RV'ing, late 40's, and find ourselves with time off in the darkest part of winter. It's an idea in our heads right now, but it seems a monumental task. I picture ourselves hauling the beast back in horrific snowstorms. Ok, I'm a little freaked out by it. I want to do this, but where do I begin? People do this all the time....right??
-Michelle
18 REPLIES 18

BillMFl
Explorer
Explorer
Hug the coast on I95. Not my favorite route to Maine and back every year, south of DC is fine, but it often only rains along the coast while snowing furthur inland.
Order is illusion. Chaos is reality. But right or wrong I'm still the captain. ๐Ÿ™‚

lexxie
Explorer
Explorer
Michelle Winterize-de winterize a handy thing to know and easy to do.I just watched a rv tech do it once and now do it myself .You could probably get all you need to know for your rig online. Greg

JordanH
Explorer II
Explorer II
I say go for it! I know I would if I had the chance
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie
2001 Dutchmen Sport 25f
2010 Honda EU3000iS
2008 Summit x 800r
2008 Outlander 800XT
2003 HD Heritage Softail
2012 Lund WC-14 with 2013 Evinrude 15hp
1994 Ford Mustang V6
2014 Nights camping: 10

Stormyjij
Explorer
Explorer
Houlton, sorry.
-M

Stormyjij
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the tips! We'll look at your route and study it. We make the drive to Boston frequently and I agree with the Houghton route. I don't think I want to try Calais to Bangor on Route 9 hauling the Behemoth!
I hadn't even thought of de-winterizing....you're right of course, we will be winterized and will need to remedy that. Can you have that done for you at the stop you mentioned? Then I suppose we'll have to do it all again on the way back.
These forums are great for newbies, there are so many things we simply don't think of.
Thanks again,
Michelle

lexxie
Explorer
Explorer
Michelle. We have tried various routes to and from Florida depending on if you want to avoid the bigger cities ,our favorite is a little longer but I believe better as far as traffic goes. Day one we go as far as the Mass. welcome center via the trans Canada through Houlton Maine and down the 95. The highway from N.S. to Maine is four lanes so I feel much safer than the road though Calais.Day two we take the 495 to the 90 then west on the 84 to the 81.This year we made it to the Virginia welcome center and spent the night there. Day three stayed on 81 till the 77 then the 26 which put us on the 95 just north of Charleston,there is a nice koa there so you can de -winterize if you haven`t done so already.Day two was a long day so only do what you feel comfortable with,I went a little farther that day than I usually do.When on the road we stay at truck stops ,Walmarts, rest areas and welcome centers and have never had a problem, just use common sense when picking a spot. Greg and Roxanne

Stormyjij
Explorer
Explorer
Lexxie, thanks. It seems so far away, but where we need to go to get that warm weather. I fly to Florida often, but this will be our first time driving, let alone hauling a behemoth of an RV behind us!
Any more tips for the long haul? Certain routes that may be more RV friendly?

lexxie
Explorer
Explorer
As a fellow Nova Scotian I have made the trip to and from Florida many times.I try to leave with a forecast of three good days,this usually gets me far enough south that I don`t have to worry about ice and snow,that being said I have also run into bad weather and had to modify my travelling plans.Coming back in Feb.could be a little tougher but definitely doable just allow enough time so if weather is an issue you can wait it out.Nine weeks is plenty of time to do this,I only went for four weeks this year and it was well worth it.

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
You might have to choose your way back carefully due to weather from NY northward...but doable...just stay longer:B

Stormyjij
Explorer
Explorer
That would be our choice as well but sadly, my company shut down are those 9 weeks only! No retirement for us for many years...and by then we'll be so broke we won't be able to go anywhere! Save money....pfttttttt!

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
Flawed thinking.

Did the Christmas to the last week of Feb last year. Big mistake, came home to a cold foreign white substance.

So we smartened up this year. Christmas to the end of March. STILL had that STUFF show up.

Time out, gotta rethink the whole thing.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
"Can we really do this?"
Yes you can, in fact 1000's of 'snowbirds' do it annually for varying lengths of time. The biggest problem you may encounter is weather conditions anywhere north of Georgia.
Watch the long range forecast before heading out, either sb or nb. I would suggest allowing at least a week between the date you want to leave and your reservations. Safer to stay a night or 2 OFF the road somewhere than risk driving in bad conditions.

Beverley and Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

Stormyjij
Explorer
Explorer
Dunedin RV Park. It's a Carefree Park, and I had to find a spot I could walk/bike to everywhere like beach, grocery and drug stores as I will be on my own with no vehicle for several weeks in the middle of the trip.
-Michelle

Tachdriver
Explorer
Explorer
What park in Dunedin?

Just curious as I am staying in Ft. Desoto in a month and wondering what other parks there are out there.