cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Phoenix to Vegas/Reno to WA state

yellowschoolbus
Explorer
Explorer
Leaving Phoenix in a couple of weeks and want to go to Las Vegas or Reno. We have a 40 ft. class A and are towing a 2002 Jeep Liberty. We will not be able to unhook the Jeep and drive it due to engine issues. What route should we take which doesn't have a lot of up hill driving or passes? We will then head home to Washington state. What route should we take from Vegas to Washington or Reno to Washington. Is there a website that tells you this information?
5 REPLIES 5

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
We just came home to Reno from Pahrump, NV (just West from Vegas).

We drove N. of Pahrump and hooked up with 95. Stayed over night in Hawthorne at Whiskey Flats RV Park and didn't unhook.

Then 95 to I-80 to Reno. No big climbs at all.

From Reno I would take 395 to get you further North.
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

rollexx
Explorer
Explorer
Fastest and easyest way from Reno to Wa State is 395 to Susanville
....44 to 89...and 89 to I5 North.

jamesu
Explorer
Explorer
Last September we towed to a family reunion in Reno. Coming home we took the OR-31 route mentioned between just north of Lakeview to LaPine. A beautiful remote drive, but my advice is to avoid it big time. Of the 120 miles on that route easily half or more of it is extreme washboard. Posted 55 mph and I never went over 45. What's that: 60-70 miles of washboard? Was not fun.
2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!

busguy22
Explorer
Explorer
If you use Google maps and input Las Vegas and Puyallup, any of the three route choices that come up would work great.

I hate I-5 with a passion (Especially between Portland and Seattle) so I would choose the shortest route taking US-93 north from Vegas to Twin Falls Idaho, then I-84 in Oregon and I-82 in Washington coming out in Bellevue.

We actually did this route in the opposite direction about a month ago on a 19 day trip to Vegas/Grand Canyon/Mesa Verde/Moab and would gladly drive over that route between Seattle and Vegas anytime. I-84 and I-82 are both great roads which you can make good time on.

There are definitely a few hills along I-84 but the hills are longer and steeper going from North to South than they are the other way. We loved US-93 in Nevada. Nice scenery (very different from the Northwest), well travelled by RV's (saw a tonne of Snowbirds heading North) and a very good road (especially for one with only two lanes).

Some great RV parks and State Parks along that route as well.
2011 Jayco Greyhawk 31 DS

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
We lived in the Bend area for 10 yrs. Our route has been:

From Reno, we take 395 north to Lakeview, Or. From Lakeview, go up and catch 31 to south of LaPine. From LaPine (south of Bend), go north to 26 into Portland OR north to Biggs Junction and 84. (all according to where in WA you want to go)

NOTE: Check the weather DAILY....especially www.tripcheck.com for the weather in Oregon. Snowing on the Cascades right now....not sure of other areas.
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend