cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Please critique my itinerary to WA/OR

rp18104
Explorer
Explorer
We're planning a six week trip from western VA to WA and OR in Sept./Oct. There are some people we plan to meet up with out there, so our itinerary has to mesh with the times they are available. So I'm working around that.

I've done a lot of research and have short listed the sights we're interested in, activities we'd like to do, and gathered information on campground choices. We love mountains and water, hiking, photography, kayaking (we're taking ours), fishing, learning about nature, and just hanging out in places with beautiful scenery and talking to fellow campers. Not so keen on cities, but will hit a few spots in Seattle and Portland. We've visited many western states, but this is our first time to WA/OR.

Our rig is a fairly new Silverado 1500 towing a 2285 Lance travel trailer. Our route will be mainly I-80, I-90, then up to WA.

These are the areas we would base and then branch out from there for day trips.

Here goes:

8/30 - 9/5 Travel starting in western VA (we have a couple purposeful stops along the way-visting friends, etc.)
9/5-8 โ€“ Coulee, Wenatchee, Lake Chelan
9/8-10 - North Cascades NP
9/10-9/15 โ€“ Seattle area (meeting sons here for a long weekend)
9/15-9/18 - Olympic NP
9/18-9/20 - Mt. Rainier
9/20-9/22 Mt. St. Helens
9/22-9/25 - Columbia River Gorge area
9/25-9/27 - Mt. Hood area
9/27-9/30 โ€“ Portland (day trip to Silver Falls SP)
9/30-10/4 โ€“Coast (all the way to CA border - may hop over to Redwoods)
10/4-10/6 - Crater Lake
10/6-10/10 - Bend area (we have friends to meet up with here for kayaking and fishing)
10/10-10/15 - Drive home to western VA

I'd appreciate it if you commented on the length of time allotted for the various areas. Would you add or subtract time from some of them? Is there anything spectacular that I've omitted? We like to stay in a place long enough to immerse ourselves and relax rather than go, go, go.

The only reservations I've made so far are at the KOA near SeaTac. We're just going to wing it for the most part and don't mind boon docking, if need be.

Thanks to my veteran RVers for their great comments.
29 REPLIES 29

Cottontop
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.freeguidetonwcamping.com/oregon_washington_main/Oregon/Portland_Area/Portland_Area.htm

this might help while you are in northwest
1998 Beaver Patriot (Magnum)
FMCA- Good Sam - CAT (3126)
PT Cruiser AUTO with Remco 4down

rp18104
Explorer
Explorer
Roy&Lynne wrote:

Since I hate big cities I would skip Portland all together and instead go to the McMinnville (?) to the Evergreen Aviation and Space Museum, and I'm not even a plane enthusiast and thought it was wonderful. The town has a couple of nice RV parks and Portland is really limited.

We don't like big cities either, so we'll probably take the time allotted to Portland and base somewhere in between the Evergreen Museum, Oregon Gardens, and Silver Falls SP so it won't be a long drive to see any of the three.

I think what will probably happen is that we'll base in one spot for 2-3 nights and see what we can within an hour or so of there, then move on to the next base. After driving cross country, the last thing we'll want to do is drive for hours to see sights.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cottontop wrote:
/snip/ By the way Dennis that is hwy 14 on the WA side.

Oops! Fingers work faster than this old brain....thanks for the correction....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Cottontop
Explorer
Explorer
As mention before if you go to the Evergreen Aviation Museum. There is a RV park next door and they will send a golf cart over to bring you to the museum.
The park is Olde Stone Village Park 4155 Three Mile Lane 877-472-4315. We will be there in October. By the way Dennis that is hwy 14 on the WA side.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Guess I'll jump on the "spend more time on the coast" bandwagon. While you don't say who will be traveling, (kids?) that may make a difference. We liked the shopping in Newport, the cheese/ice cream in Tillamook, clamming and bald eagles in Port Garibaldi, whale watching all along the coast, the column in Astoria and visiting all the lighthouses along Hwy 101...the sand dunes in Florence, the old town in Bandon and jet boating the Rogue River. Walking along uncrowded beaches gathering up sand dollars, allowing our dog to roam freely on most of the beaches and picking up various sea shells and pieces of driftwood.

Yes, you'll not see too much of the yellow orb in the sky, but being from VA you're already prepared for inclement weather.

Plan on spending some time along the Columbia river. We spent a day visiting the Bonneville Lock and Dam and could have spent longer. Take Washington Hwy 12 along the north side of the river. It's more scenic than the south route of I-84. Cross over using the Bridge of the gods. Watch the wind surfers all along the river. Many scenic campgrounds along the gorge. There's an excellent COE campground in Plymouth, Wa. ($9/night with the geezer card)...Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
First I have been to Crater Lake in the snow and it's awesome. Our weather in Sept can be beautiful, but cold, much like your winters, a chance of snow, but some gorgeous days.
Personally I would make both Mt St. Helens and Mr Rainier a day trip as there isn't a lot to see or do unless you plan to hike around on some of the trails. If you plan on camping on Mt Rainier you might need reservations as your choices are limited. I think there are only 3 campgrounds.

Since I hate big cities I would skip Portland all together and instead go to the McMinnville (?) to the Evergreen Aviation and Space Museum, and I'm not even a plane enthusiast and thought it was wonderful. The town has a couple of nice RV parks and Portland is really limited.

And I wouldn't make any reservations at that time of year, except with the above exception, just call ahead and see if they have space. You might like to stay longer at one place and skip another and reservations make nearly impossible.

J_herb
Explorer
Explorer
You got a lot of good INFO and one thing no one said is that we are in a drought in the PNW and some lakes and rivers will be very low, the Rogue River Jets may not be running do to low water. By the end of Sept.some campgrounds will be closed , most State CG will be open.
You have a lot of places to see and not enough time so do the best that you can and come back and see what you have missed.
J herb

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Still pretty aggressive, but better. Bring warm clothes and good rain coats. Might not need them, but better prepared than the alternative

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
I too will say not enough time on the coast - I would cancel any or all other plans so I could experience the coast

We lived in Lincoln City on the central Oregon coast and go back often. In 2014 we spent 7 weeks in January and February on the coast and again in 2015 we spent 3 weeks on the coast.

The Whale watching tours in Depoe Bay are great, we spotted whales both years from shore.

Any one of the Mo's restaurants on the coast is great. For the view we like the one in the south end of Lincoln City on Siletz Bay - from the restaurant we always see bald eagles and sea lions on the sand bar across the water.

You will also see lots of sea lions on the water front in Newport.

Of course no trip to the coast would be complete without going agate hunting on the beaches.

For the view go to the Inn at Spanish Head in Lincoln City and go to the top floor. I was General Manager there in 1972.

Pier 101 in Lincoln City has razor clams to die for. I attended the opening of the restaurant 40 years ago.

A free attraction with a world class view is The Lookout Observatory & Gift Shop 3 miles South of Depoe Bay @ Cape Foulweather (spotted whales from here in 2015) โ€“ it is now run by the state of Oregon
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

rp18104
Explorer
Explorer
I massaged the itinerary a bit to hit the coast a bit earlier and added a few more days to the coast time. After researching Crater Lake more, I thought it best to be out of there by Oct. 1 as it seems that everything shuts down around then. I left the Columbia River Gorge until last because that would be the warmest spot to visit and also it gets us heading in the right direction toward home. I wanted to avoid as much backtracking as possible.

Here's the new plan:

8/30-9/5- Travel from western VA
9/5-8 โ€“ Wenatchee - Lake Chelan
9/8-10 - North Cascades NP
9/10-9/18 โ€“ Seattle area/Olympic NP
9/18-9/20 - Mt. Rainier
9/20-9/22 Mt. St. Helens
9/22-9/29 - Coast (dune buggy ride at Coos Bay, jetboat ride on Rogue River)
9/29-10/1 - Crater Lake
10/1-10/5 โ€“ Salem/Bend
10/5-10/7 โ€“ Portland/Mt. Hood
10/7-10/10 - Columbia River Gorge

This gets us started, but our attitude is that if we like a spot and want to stay there longer, we'll do it. The reverse is also true - if we get somewhere and see all we want to see before the allotted time is over, we'll head out early.

In general, I'd rather skip things than give them short shrift. On our last trip, we lost a day with a flat tire and ended up only having a couple of hours for Arches Park before it got dark. I would rather have skipped it altogether than gotten such a small nibble of it and left so unsatisfied. We decided not to make that mistake again.

Thanks for the suggestions of places to see. Oregon Gardens sounds awesome and is close to Silver Falls SP so we'll allot time there.

Nothing says we can't come back again in the future.

RedJeep
Explorer
Explorer
You'll be fine with your plan.
2008 Georgetown DS350 Class A
Wife, kids, dog and cat

Cottontop
Explorer
Explorer
Any rain fall in the northwest will not bother anyone from VA. If you have every been on the east coast it knows how to rain there. I have lived in the northwest for over 50 years and have never owned a rain coat. These states do not close down for the weather and there are things to see all year around.

SteveAE
Explorer
Explorer
shh, don't tell anyone that September/October is absolutely the best time in Oregon.
BTW, the weather in Bend will be fine in earl October. By late October, there will be some light snow in the mts, but unlikely to have much, if any, in town.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ed_Gee wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
Second generation Oregonian, I have seen hard freeze every month of the year in Central Oregon. While Sept on the coast is usually nice, by the second week of October the rains can set in pretty steady. Everbody has their opinions, and I expressed mine. You are welcome to express yours!

Donn, my perceptions are different than yours. Our annual rainfall avg. here on the Central coast is only 5" in October, and negligible in Sept. However, it certainly can vary year to year.... and be more up North.....but my point is that it is nothing to be of concern for the planned trip by the original poster. Your temps in the Bend / Central Oregon area are the same situation ... I don't consider temps in the upper 20s to low 30s to be of great concern...although if it rains at those times that could be a problem on the passes. The zero degrees I experienced in Burns a couple Winters ago is definitely a "hard freeze", though. I just did not want the original poster to be too dissuaded from his trip during that period of the year as most of it should be just dandy for him.

Me neither, but he really needs to be prepared for the worst. I have walked on the beach in short sleeves in January. I have also seen snow on the beach in January. My point is Oregon is one of the most unpredictable areas of the country.