cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Please help! Alaska itinerary for RV newbie.

greeholiday
Explorer
Explorer
RV newbie here, planning a family trip of 6 (kids aged 12 to 14) to Alaska in August. Below is our tentative itinerary. It has a couple of long drive days, but appreciate feedback if this seems reasonable to see the highlights surrounding Anchorage and welcome any tips. Family is most interested in hiking, kayaking, seeing amazing wildlife and experiencing the quirky side of Alaska โ€“ but trying to keep activities within a reasonable budget.

Day 1 Fly from East Coast to Seattle (decided to do this to avoid arriving in Anchorage at 2am!)
Day 2 Tour Seattle, adjust internal clocks
Day 3 Early flight to Anchorage, get RV, provision RV, drive to Talkeetna with stop at Musk Ox Farm. In Talkeetna, either do flightseeing trip, zip lining or fishing. RECOMMENDATION ON CAMPGROUND IN/NEAR TALKEETNA SO WE CAN WALK TO TOWN AND RESTURANTS?
Day 4 Drive to Denali National Park. Visitors Center, dog sled, overnight at Savage River Campground (boondocking for 2 days)
Day 5 Take Denali bus trip into park + hike, overnight at Savage River Campground
Day 6 Drive to Girdwood. Hike Winner Creek, pan for gold. RECOMMENDATION ON CAMPGROUND NEAR GIRDWOOD?
Day 7 Drive to Cooper Landing  with stop at Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center; take half day fishing charter and/or hike Russian River Falls. Overnight at Williwaw CG or Portage Valley CG?
Day 8 Drive to Seward, visit Alaska SeaLife Center, kayak trip into Resurrection Bay, hike Harding Icefield. We hope to overnight at the Seward waterfront RV park, but worry that it is Silver Salmon Derby and there might not be spaces with hookup available. SUGGESTIONS? SHOULD WE HEAD TO HOMER INSTEAD AND SKIP SEWARD?
Day 9 Full day Kenai Fjords cruise
Day 10 Return RV (evening) with stop at Exit Glacier. Late departure from Anchorage

Appreciate all your assistance.
38 REPLIES 38

greeholiday
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for our great feedback. Thinking about cutting out Seattle and flying straight into Anchorage to give us an extra day to explore. Clearly Denali and Seward are musts and will try to maximize time in each. Do you think a family of six can survive for 3 nights in one of the Denali National Park campgrounds without hookup? I like the suggestion to provision the RV on Day 1 and hit the road first thing the next day to Denali, but on the long ride from Denali to Seward, should we overnight somewhere?

fulltimedaniel
Explorer
Explorer
I would arrive in Anchorage at 2 am and get your rental that day and provision...then rest overnight in Anchorage.

Your itinerary is tight. but certainly doable.But you move virtually everyday. I know the tendency is to see as much as you can but it might be better to pick 3 things you really want to do and concentrate on those.

Keep in mind those drives are long and slower than the lower 48.

Dont fall into the trap of thinking this will be your only trip to Alaska and thus you must do everything.

For my money I would concentrate on Denali Natl Park, at least three nights, and stay in Teklanika campground not at the entrance.

Then Seward.

Talkeetna is a busy little tourist town that is charming for sure and great for a lunch stop but very busy but otherwise, well it's not as important as other places for scenery and what you want to do.

Just for context, I have lived in Alaska (in the service) and worked here more than once and this is my second trip here in the last 12 months (driving up) I am now in Fairbanks.

MORSNOW
Navigator II
Navigator II
WAY too much planned for almost every day and not taking into account the drive distances and time required. For example, the drive from Denali to Girdwood is at least 6 hours. We have 2 lane highways that slow down through every little town not 4 lane freeways. And then there are those pesky RV's that that slow down and stop in the road to take pictures of the wildlife along the way ๐Ÿ™‚
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

daily_double
Explorer
Explorer
You will be worn completely out at the end of your (vacation?) Alaska Wildlife Center will have Musk Ox and Caribou which is what you will see at the Musk Ox farm.

gmctoyman
Explorer
Explorer
To much planning, & to little time. But, based on your availability, probably about as good as you're going to do.
Dave W. AKA "Toyman"
KE5GOH - On 146.52
RV's ? What RV's ???
Apache Pop-up
Classic GMC Motorhome
07 Leisure Travel Sprinter
Do Boats Count ?

Jay_Pat
Explorer
Explorer
I would skip Girdwood before skipping Seward.
On the all day cruise out of Seward, you can sail thru some ocean swells... Take motion sickness pills before leaving rv that morning (follow pill directions)
Make all rv reservations, now!
And, send me a post card!!!!
Pat
2010 Ford F-350 SRW
2021 Grand Design Reflection 315

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You need to double your time!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
A word of advice when you are traveling/sight seeing in Alaska. Respect all "No Trespassing" and "Private Property" signs no matter how old or beaten up those signs look.

The few times I've been up there, I was told this by locals I was working with that there are many people within remote areas, side roads, that do not want to be bothered, or even found. Respect people's personal property and their right to not be bothered.
I love me some land yachting

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think you have too much in there, but not sure what to cut down on. Day three is too much. Should look at one on the flight seeing trips that land up on My McKinley. They leave you there usually while they pick up more people, basically a round trips hurtle service.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.