cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Zion National Park

Diannat60
Explorer
Explorer
Going to Zion in September. We will traveling from Louisiana. Which entrance has better campgrounds? We'll be pulling a fifth wheel.

Thanks
7 REPLIES 7

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
x2 4runnerguy
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Read the park restrictions on total length of your rig and height of your rig.

If your rig is under those, you can come into the main park from the east (there is no place to stay and really no place to pull over a large truck/trailer on the east side of the tunnel.

The road downhill from the tunnel will test your brakes, just go slow. The five or six switchback turns are plenty wide for your rig.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
More options coming in from Springdale. As several have said, Watchman in the park is what I'd consider your best option. BUT, make reservations soon, as September is quite busy.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
West entrance has better campground. Watchman is good place to stay.
East entrance has restrictions as to length. max length is 50 feet. If less then 50 feet you still need to pay extra fee for tunnel and switch-backs.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Diannat60 wrote:
Going to Zion in September. We will traveling from Louisiana. Which entrance has better campgrounds? We'll be pulling a fifth wheel.

Thanks

As others have said try to stay in the park - but the biggest question is What will be the Route to Zion?

Lot's to see and do along the way.

Where will you go after?

How long do you plan on staying?

Will this just be a trip to Utah, or will you also catch Colorado (Last 10 days or so in Colorado is SPECIAL ).

September is a great time to be in the SouthWest.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
I would make plans to stay inside the Park in the Watchman CG. There are 30 and 50 amp sites. Water and a dump station.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
The west entrance has the campgrounds both inside and outside the park. The ones inside the park are easy walking to the main shuttle stop. Most of your site seeing will also be on the west side of the tunnel.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)