Prescott to Newport Washington

hickoryt
Explorer
Explorer
We would like to visit:
1. Yellowstone
2. Jackson/ Grand Teton
3. Glacier Nat'l Park

Would like your input for Routes and Campgrounds. We will be in a 40' motorhome with a tow. We have about 3 weeks to complete our roundtrip

Thanks
05 Country Coach Inspire
08 Jeep Commander
94 Jeep Wrangler
7 REPLIES 7

jamesu
Explorer
Explorer
Old American Kampground (KM Resorts).
701 N Newport Ave
Newport, WA 99156
Phone: (509) 447-3663

We are KM members (8 RV resorts within Washington). You might call them to see about staying there. They've usually got "deals" to get you to stay for a couple of nights in exchange for listening to their spiel.
2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've camped in a nice COE campground near the town of Priest River (on US2). Then took an overnight drive to Priest Lake, staying at a Forest Service campground at the north end. There is a state park on the east side of the lake.

There are other COE campgrounds on the Priest river (the dam is near Newport), plus Round Lake State Park closer to Sandpoint.

I've also driven north to the Canadian border (20 and 31) but can't say much about camping options.

hickoryt
Explorer
Explorer
former neighbors that have moved to the area Stoneridge RV Resort
05 Country Coach Inspire
08 Jeep Commander
94 Jeep Wrangler

jamesu
Explorer
Explorer
Why Newport? Other than the scenery there's nothing there?
2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We've done this route many times with our 40'. 89 through Flagstaff to 89A south of Page where 89 continues to Page. 89 is presently closed so 89A over to Jacob Lake/Fredonia is the way to go.

As mentioned above, stay on 89 and you can easily work in Bryce Nat'l Park. We try to stay off interstates so we take 89 through Utah to Heber City. We then get on I-80 east to Evanston and pick up 16/30 to Montpelier and then pick up 89 again to Jackson, WY (Grand Teton Nat'l Park) and continue north to Yellowstone.

Your best bet for refueling before the Tetons is on 89 from Alpine to Hoback Junction. In Thayne there's an easy access Maverick station on the right with good prices. Just before entering Jackson there will be 2 major groceries and a liquor store if you need them. On the left is Smiths Plaza which also has fuel but not easy access with the MH. A little further north on the right is Albertsons. West Yellostone's groceries are very small but usually you can find normal items. West Yellowstone also has expensive fuel.

Try to get into Colter Bay RV for the Tetons for the best experience if you need hookups. Otherwise Gros Ventre or Colter Bay campground (next door to the RV park) are doable with a 40' but it's dry camping and no reservations but they each have 300 sites. We've always gotten a site.

Yellowstone: Fishing Bridge is the only full hookup. We've stayed at Bridge Bay, Madison, and Mammoth.

Out of Yellowstone to Glacier - depends which side of Glacier you want to stay. There are many nice routes. We have continued on 89 to East Glacier. Or for West Glacier you can take 287 to I-90 west to 93 at Missoula. There are also others depending on what you want to see. I think we've taken all the roads in that area with no problems. 191 out of Yellowstone is also good.

If you have time, you might want to purchase the Mountain Directory - West (online) which gives you detailed info about any questionable highway. We use it all the time. Have a great trip!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27066610/gotomsg/27067265.cfm
discusses Glacier to Idaho. US2 is a good choice to Newport.

DaveG39
Explorer
Explorer
I'd take 89 visit Bryce and stay at Ruby's there. Through Salina 89, 28 to Salt Lake City stay at KOA then 15 and 89 through Logan to bear lake then to Tetons and yellowstone then through west yellowstone to polson and flathead lake then to west of Glacier.
2007 TropiCal LX towing 2012 Honda
CRV, Goleta, CA