cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Prince Rupert

55cruisers
Explorer
Explorer
Our research for our 2014 trip is well underway. Don't seem to have come across any information about Prince Rupert. Is there anything there to make the side trip worthwhile? We will be coming down via the Cassiar Highway. Would love to hear your comments.

Diane
10 REPLIES 10

55cruisers
Explorer
Explorer
thanks everyone for your wonderful suggestions. I think we will do as garyhaupt suggested: "When you get to Kitwanga, check the weather forecast and if`s calling for nice, then absolutely, you want to drive out. On the other hand, if the weather is fog and rain....I`d say turn left and eastward ho."

Diane

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
We enjoyed camping at Lava Bed Provincial Park an hour north of Terrace. There is a very nice canoeing opportunity at the park entrance, a lovely walk to the cone of Canada's most recently active volcano, a fine Indian community on a roaring salmon river and a local non commercial hotspring.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
I too live up here. Couple hours away from Rupert. So, I offer a guideline, because the drive from Terrace to Rupert and Prince Rupert itself can be drop dead gorgeous. When you get to Kitwanga, check the weather forecast and if`s calling for nice, then absolutely, you want to drive out. On the other hand, if the weather is fog and rain....I`d say turn left and eastward ho.

This is a page from my Blog and has some Prince Rupert pix. Just ignore the bbq stuff. It also has some info and pix from Kitwanga and surrounding areas.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/2012_09_01_archive.html

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

StewB
Explorer
Explorer
I lived in PR for the first 29 years of my life and am there at least once a month.
It does get foggy but no worse than any coastal town.

Lots to do there. For sure go to the North Pacific Cannery museum. (web site is down today but google it)

Adventure tours do whale watching and grizzly bear watching tours on a beatuiful big boat with very reasonable prices. This is a great company with knowagable employees, that do an amazing job.
http://www.adventuretours.net

Lots of charter boats for a day of salmon and halibut fishing or harbour tours.

Float plane or helicopter tours of the area.

Great museum in the downtown area with lots of first nations exibits.

Not lots of shopping but there are some jems in the downtown area as well as on the waterfront in the cow bay area.

Well worth the visit for a couple of days.

MARKW8
Explorer
Explorer
BobsYourUncle wrote:
Occasionally once in a while the fog actually lifts so you can see the place!

100% of my Rupert trips I have never seen the place. The fog has been so thick that the visibility was very poor.
Maybe you will have more luck than me.

No fog at all when we were there.

Mark

Occasionally once in a while the fog actually lifts so you can see the place!

100% of my Rupert trips I have never seen the place. The fog has been so thick that the visibility was very poor.
Maybe you will have more luck than me.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
5 day itinerary.
Be sure to go to the city garbage dump to see the eagles. See (day 5)
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

MARKW8
Explorer
Explorer
We liked it in 08. Took a float plane ride and IIRC that's where they have an old cannery complex you can go thru.

Mark

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
It depends on what you like. There is always places for us to visit.
Prince Rupert Tourism
At the sound end of the Cassiar is Kitwanga. It has many totem poles.
I cannot rememebr the name of the town on BC 16 that had bears in the river near it. I am thinking it was about half way to PR.
We did some fishing near Exstew

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
Its someplace you have never been before?
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot