cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

rapid city to Custer, SD

wali461
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone taken the route from Rapid City to Custer, SD with their motorhome. Have 38' Class A gas -- how are roads, steep, etc???
Thanks for info.
6 REPLIES 6

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
There is no charge to drive straight through Custer State Park on hwy. 16A
Hwy. 16 through Hill City is the faster easier route. Use the towed to see the park.

bobx2
Explorer
Explorer
I will be making that same drive with the FW in July. Find a good map of the area and it will spell it out for you pretty well. There are a lot of low clearance tunnels in that area, so make sure you don't end up on one of those roads. There is a route with no tunnels that the RV crowd uses, just can't tell you the road numbers off the top of my head.
Becky, Bob, Taylie and Bode
2009 Silverado Duramax/Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 245RL
2015 Polaris Sportsman 570 Touring - Mine
2015 Polaris Sportsman 570 Touring - Wifes

jrp
Explorer
Explorer
There are several possible routes, but as long as you stick to the main roads, 16 to 385/16 via Hill City to Custer, there are no issues other than the summer time traffic jams. If you make a wrong turn onto Needles hwy or Iron Mtn rd you'll find some impassable (in a big rig) single lane 11 ft high tunnels and 180 degree switchbacks.
South on 79 and west on 36/16 is an option from RC, but you'll pay a fee just to drive through the park, and hit lots of slow moving park traffic depending on your timing. Best to wait till you're parked and use the toad for driving around the park.
Remember, you're in the mountains, so regardless of the route you're going to do a lot of up, down & around.

wali461 wrote:
Has anyone taken the route from Rapid City to Custer, SD with their motorhome. Have 38' Class A gas -- how are roads, steep, etc???
Thanks for info.
Jim

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I've driven 16A, but in the toad. Its fun, but I swear that there are a few turns where, if you look at the right time, you can see your own tail lights. ๐Ÿ™‚
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

danpreszler
Explorer
Explorer
You'll have no problems. Been there done that - many times.
Dan & Karen Preszler
Bismarck, ND
2007 Leisure Travel Free Spirit LSS

ADAD437
Explorer
Explorer
no problem, go 79 to 36 thru csp. if you don't want to go thru the park take 16 to 385 to custer. both good routes. DO NOT TAKE 16A IRON MOUNTAIN ROAD.

James,Gail & Pancho
2005 georgie boy Pursuit

๐Ÿ˜›