cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trip To Newfoundland Via Labrador

Turbo_Diesel_Du
Explorer
Explorer
Planning on a trip this summer to Newfoundland via Labrador. All the maps are somewhat confusing. I've read where the road to the coast has been completed where we can hookup with the ferry that crosses the seaway. As always, my questions seem to be posted in the wrong place ,so just bare with me if you would. Any help would be appreciated. Not a rookie tower and have the correct equipment, just need the correct directions. Do not want to go thru North Sydney in Nova Scotia, but thru Quebec. Thanks
charles weidman
12 REPLIES 12

JordanH
Explorer
Explorer
Hope you enjoy your visit here! Lots and lots of beautiful places to visit
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie
2001 Dutchmen Sport 25f
2010 Honda EU3000iS
2008 Summit x 800r
2008 Outlander 800XT
2003 HD Heritage Softail
2012 Lund WC-14 with 2013 Evinrude 15hp
1994 Ford Mustang V6
2014 Nights camping: 10

Neal47
Explorer
Explorer
We took this route last summer, but in reverse of your plan. Do a search for "Trans Labrador highway" to read our report. Good luck and have fun!

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I did it in 2006, The Trans Labrador Highway was not done then. You can drive the whole distance now.

Yes, it is important to drive slowly. Although some road is paved now, still drive slowly. For safety and scenery.

I have heard tell that Quebec is putting in more road along the North Shore of the St. Lawrence. That's when I'd like to go back.

Check pics in my signature.

:C
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
Little Kopit will probably chime in here - she has done the trip and posted some lovely pictures.

Maybe do a search under her name for further details.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

trailerbikecamp
Explorer
Explorer
never been to Labrador but live on Newfoundland. Check out the link below. They have the routes and rates for the trip from Labrador to the island. Friends and co-workers have worked in Labrador say that the Trans-Labrador highway is finished. Not sure about the Quebec section.

Marine Atlantic

The best time to come to the island is late July and early Auugust. Make sure to bring your rain jacket. We are an island out in the Atlantic. We sit just east of where the Gulf Stream and Labrador current meet.
Dan

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
That's at least in part why you need to bring a translation book and conversion chart if it matters to your height. Last time I was there (before 2013) I was a child but I knew things were in French only. Part of the fun and part of the flavor.

Oh, I found this link that might be of help but again...how up to date is it really? Quebec 389 attributes
Donna

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Two and a Half years ago we drove through Quebec and found the roads to be the worse in Canada, we were very happy to get to New Brunswick. Tunnel and bridge clearance signs were in French and meters instead of feet, I hadn't converted my height to meters and was scared leaving the COSTCO store in Q City when we encountered a tunnel. Just our $0.02 worth.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

answerswillvary
Explorer
Explorer
Moved from Roads and Routes to RVing in Canada
2009 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QBP

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
If you do a mapquest search you can get the mileage and see what your comfort level is considering that the going can be slow. The quebec part was pretty rough compared to the Labrador part.

You can read our 2013 account here.

We really didn't allow enough time and next time I would allow more time....we had reasons to get home and we knew we would come back.

Gaetan
Explorer
Explorer
This is a very interesting project.
For those who have done the trip how many days should we allow for such a trip, from their site they suggest 5. 6days itinaries this is 30 days.....,
What is the best time of the summer to do such a trip
Gaetan
Gaetan St-Hilaire
2004 silverado 4/4 2500HD long box Duramax/Allison
2003 everest 323k
2003 northernlite ten 2000 rd

Twomed
Explorer
Explorer
Or you can drive the Trans Lab HWY north out of Matane to Goose Bay and drive south, then ferry back. 🙂
Happy Trails 🙂
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Current thread in the Canada section on Labrador Hwy
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27589579.cfm

Which 'seaway' do you have in mind? For a full loop you will have 3 major water crossings -

- St Lawrence River (may use bridge or ferry depending on where you cross). The longest ferry here is Matane to Baie-Comeau.

- Labrador to Newfoundland ( St Barbe, NL - Blanc Sablon, QC ferry). It's Goosebay to Blanc Sablon that is new (and possibly still under construction).

- Newfoundland to Nova Scotia

http://www.tlhwy.com/

Once you get to Baie-Comeau, there is only one way to go - north to Labrador City, and then east to Goosebay.