Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing up to Big Sur, Ca

ducksquasher
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All,

Planning a trip this spring up to Big Sur, Ca. I am out in the Inland Empire and I wanted to get feedback on routes so I am battling as few hills as possible. My thought is to take the 5 freeway up to Highway 46 and then to Highway 1? Would you say that is the easiest "tow"? Open to any suggestions on the best routes for towing?

Thanks in advance!
17 REPLIES 17

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
We've gone to and from San Diego using the 101-126-5-210 route. Found it real easy. Only grade that comes to mind is the one after the Gaviota tunnel.
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
ducksquasher wrote:
My thought is to take the 210-134-101 up the coast to Pismo.....other option is 210-5-126-101......not sure which hill is worse? The 5 going up to Valencia (truck lane) or the hill dropping into Camarillo at Newberry Park?

Thoughts?

I would take the Canejo Grade anytime over the I 5 if I were going to Pismo, It is a 2 1/2 mile 7% grade compared to all the truck traffic and the more than 7 miles of 6% or more grades, and 10 miles further going to Castaic Junction and taking the 126.
I have done them both many times in a BIG RIG and the Canejo grade on 101 wins hands down.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

ducksquasher
Explorer
Explorer
My thought is to take the 210-134-101 up the coast to Pismo.....other option is 210-5-126-101......not sure which hill is worse? The 5 going up to Valencia (truck lane) or the hill dropping into Camarillo at Newberry Park?

Thoughts?

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
58 west of 99 is slow going through city traffic for a while. After 5 to 33 not sure of the road. From 33 to 101 will not be a happy drive pulling a trailer of his size. Better off going to 46 west to Paso Robles, then a couple miles south on 101 to 46 west or 10 miles to 41 to Morro Bay.

Redsky
Explorer
Explorer
I would take Hwy 15 north to Boron and then take Hwy 58 west to Hwy 101. You have the option once you get to I-5 to go north to Hwy 46 and take it west to Hwy 101.

When in the area check out the elephant seals that are 8 miles north of San Simeon. Well worth a visit.

The wine country around San Luis Obispo and Paso Robles is exceptional if you like to imbibe.

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
101 all the way to Pismo is an easy drive. Only climb is just after the Gavoita tunnel. Go to Google Earth and look at the road. Street view is also helpful when looking at routes.

Morro Bay has a few nice parks if you want to cut a couple hours out of your commute time to/from Pismo.

ducksquasher
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone......we have decided to stay in Pismo Beach, visit with family and hit Morro Bay on day trips, etc.

What routes would you suggest from Fontana, Ca? Trying to stay away from hills as much as possible.....

Thanks again!

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
Part of the problem is a lot of folks have never had to follow themselves up or down these tight stretches of Highway one. I would love to show them video shot from behind as they repeatedly cross over the double yellow line and kick up dirt with their rear wheels in the tight turns. Of course the fact that there are 7 vehicle backed up behind never seems to be an issue either.

The simple fact is that there are some roads like Highway One that are not engineered and or maintained for amateurs driving large RV's. If you cannot keep your rig between the lines and off of what little shoulder there may be you have no business being on that road. Sadly, lots of people "think" they are far better drivers than they are.

Feel free to disagree but once you have had the thrill of coming around a tight blind corner to find a 40' Class A 6' into your lane with nowhere to go you might just rethink your opinion. Been there done that. :R

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
I always add the disclaimer that it's all about how comfortable you are with driving your rig. Yes, I understand the road may scare some people. If you're afraid of tight corners and high cliffs, then stay off Highway 1. But that's up the individual to decide. Don't come on here and tell everybody else that just because you can't do it, that nobody else can either. Motorhomes drive down Highway 1 all the time, especially the stretch South of Monterey. Now Highway 1 does get more windy and more steep north of San Francisco, but it's still doable in an RV. I would however recommend if you schedule permits, to not do Highway 1 on weekends, as there are a lot of day trippers out on the weekends. You would be more comfortable in lighter traffic. And I also recommend that if you're only going to do it one-way, that it's best to go from North to South. A lot of people claim not to do that because you're on the cliff side. But you're also on the ocean side and that side of the road has the most turnouts which are important to let other traffic pass and to pull over and enjoy the view.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

SheriffAndy
Explorer
Explorer
I drove it recently. I came up I5 and then over to the 101 on the 126. I didn't find it that tough really.

Once you leave the San Simeon area the road gets steep and windy. There are some cliffs. It wasn't a big deal, watch your speed, use your gears.

I pull a 24 foot 4500lb travel trailer with a 2005 Toyota Tundra. I am well under my weight limits.

I do a lot of mountain driving so I guess I've gotten used to it. You live in California so you've probably done a few long grades yourself.

dave54
Nomad
Nomad
msmith1199 wrote:
And every time this comes up you have people saying to stay off of highway 1...

I have wondered about this myself. Some poster will comment 'Highway XX is a horrible road, cannot be safely used towing, you will regret it' etc, and often it is a road I have driven many times without any concern. CA Hwy 299 Redding to the coast is a good example. To me it is a snoozer -- an easy relaxing tow without any trouble. Utah 12 is another (admittedly, I have not towed on Hwy 1, only in a single vehicle, but I do not foresee any problems. It is straighter and wider than many other roads I have towed).

Conversely, people have stated no problem easy drive on some roads that left me wore out and white knuckled.

Of course, I spent all my working career driving remote unsurfaced forest roads that would give most city dwellers both a nervous breakdown and a heart attack, often at night, alone, foot of fresh snow...

Now put me on a flat and straight interstate with 40 mph crosswinds, and half groggy drivers passing me at 75 mph, and you have my full attention.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
And every time this comes up you have people saying to stay off of highway 1. Yes, it's a windy road and yes there are cliffs. But if you're comfortable with driving your RV, and your trailer or motorhome is not over 40 feet long, then you'll be fine on highway 1. No matter what if you want to get to Big Sur you're going to have to drive on Highway 1 and it's just as windy and the cliffs are just as high whether you come from the North or the South. I have a 35' DP and I tow a Dodge Dakota 4x4 toad, and I've driven the length of Highway 1 from Monterey to Morro Bay several times.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
It does not really matter what you will be towing or what you will be towing with, if your are larger than a car stay off highway 1 between Morro Bay and Big Sur. Hair pin turns will stand your hair on end. You can see your tail lights, the cliffs drop into the ocean and there is little or no shoulder, on the other side are rock cliffs protruding into the lanes. It is one of American's most beautiful drives, truly, and you should consider it in a car or small truck. Leave the RV at the basecamp. Honestly and sincerely.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
It would be helpful to know what kind of rig you'll be using...there are length restrictions on some of those roads, including Hwy 1.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG