cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Reno to Portland

siguccs
Explorer
Explorer
I'd like suggestions about the best way to go from reno to Portland. I don't need the scenic route. Thanks.
14 REPLIES 14

siguccs
Explorer
Explorer
we took the advice 395 to Susanville, then 36 44 89 to I5 and it worked out fine. 89 was a little narrow and I5 was a surprising (to me) collection of steep up and downs, but the advice was right on and I appreciate the help!

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III
395/44/89 is my backyard.

395 between Bordertown and Susanville does not have much in the way of services -- 1 gas station in Doyle.

Between Susanville and Mcloud there are not many either. Slightly off route in the community of Old Station (where 44 & 89 split) 1 gas station. 2 miles off route at the 89/299 intersection is Burney -- a full service town. Between Burney and Mcloud there are no services, and the gas station in Mcloud is not big rig friendly. Mt Shasta is the next stop with easy fuel.

On the plus side -- the road is all good and no uphill grades of any concern. One steep downgrade into Old Station for about a mile or so.

Lots of boondocking opportunities if you want to stop enroute.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

fireman93514
Explorer
Explorer
bdpreece wrote:
395 to Susanville
36, 44,89 to I5 then North to Portland

This is the route we take to visit our daughter in Portland. You won't have any problems here.
John & Judy
2007 Winnebago Access 31C
2008 Ford Focus

Oregon_Ms
Explorer
Explorer
bdpreece wrote:
395 to Susanville

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
dkreuzen wrote:
FYI 395 doesn't go to Klamath Falls or Bend...:h
True it goes to Burns, then go to Bend to Madras to Portland. It all depends on your time line and desires for traffic. We went from Portland to Burns in late June as part of our route back to Great Falls,MT.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
dkreuzen wrote:

395 north out of Reno, then follow the signs.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

dkreuzen
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis
2012 Monaco Knight 36PFT
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon on 2007 16' Car Trailer

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
395 north, thru bend and Klamath falls. connect wit I-84 west
395 north, thru Klamath Falls, then Bend and connect to Hwy 26 to Portland...... ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
bdpreece wrote:
395 to Susanville

This is the route I would take. Good roads and the quickest way to get there.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
395 to Alturus and head over to Klamth Falls, 97 north. Depending on where in Portland area either cut over to the valley on 58 or continue further and take 26. That is the route most locals used to take to Reno for gambling weekends as it is the fastest.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
395 north, thru bend and Klamath falls. connect wit I-84 west
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
395, 36, 44, 89, and that will take you north of Shasta Mountain, towards the city of Mt Shasta, I 5, then north towards Weed, then take I 5 all the way north to Portland.

Just don't fill up with fuel in California, if you can possibly avoid it! Especially Susanville CA, just look at the prices there, and laugh at the people who live there and pay well over $4 per gallon!

While a lot of the highways are two lanes, and not to frequent passing lanes, the distance between Reno and Mt Shasta (the city) is not that far, and very scenic. So if you 'have' to go slowly someplace, this would be a great place to take in the sights!

It also saves driving all the way to Sacramento, and cuts out about 100 - 150 miles, so you will more than make it up in time saved as well as saving fuel costs.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
Avoid Sacramento. It's out of the way. Heck of a hill to go down with bad traffic.

When you reach I5 keep North. Plenty of services and rest stops. Portland traffic at rush hour is not fun.

bdpreece
Explorer II
Explorer II
395 to Susanville
Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)

2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor PDQ40
2014 Ford Explorer toad