cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roads to avoid

Sandy___Shirley
Explorer
Explorer
As stated in another post, we are planning a 6 week trip from Baltimore to Oakland and back, southern route over and northern back. Thanks to all of the information so far, we are placing a lot of “dots” on the map for places to stop for a day or so and will soon start to connect as many dots as possible.

We will be driving a 37 foot Class A, gas not diesel, and we will be pulling a Ford Focus, about 3,000 lbs. Are there any routes through the mountains that we should avoid? Do all of the Interstates lower grades, or are some far more difficult to travel.

Again, thanks in advance for all the helpful answers that you can post for us.
Proud members of the S.K.I. club . . . $pending our Kids Inheritance

Their inheritance is now a 2015 Forest River Georgetown 378XL
14 REPLIES 14

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
William Willard wrote:
No Interstate Highway grade is over 6% -- That does not apply on other highways -- William Willard
The western approaches to both Vail Pass and the Eisenhower Tunnel on I-70 are both 7% grades for several miles.

East of the Rockies, we have found I-70 to be an easier drive than I-80. Fewers semis and generally better road conditions (maybe because there are fewer semis :h )
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

ohhell10339
Explorer
Explorer
You are pretty much exposed to a fair amount of climbing no matter which route you choose, as all east-west interstates traverse the Rockies. I consider everything east of the Rockies to be kind of a null, a big empty nothingness to be driven across as quickly as possible. So considering what happens as you go south to north:
1-90. Goes into some pretty country in western Montana and stays there all the way to Spokane. Grades pretty easy to handle. Fourth of July Pass east of Coeur D'Alene a trifle challenging, but not bad.
I-80. Probably the most direct route but Jesus, booooring and almost anti-scenic. 400+ miles of Wyoming desolation, a little bit of scenery through the Wasatch to Salt Lake, and then 600+ miles of Absolute. Nothing. to Reno. Then, Donner Summit (beautiful, but can be challenging in weather).
I-70. The prettiest route; also the most challenging as far as traversing the mountains goes. You'll have the choice of heading north via US 6 to I-80 or south through Vegas to hit I-40 after you emerge from the mountains.
I-40. Mostly booooring but scenery through New Mexico and eastern half of AZ can be interesting. A good choice if weather threatens. Pass crossings are gradual.
1-10. A whole lotta nothing. You drag yourself across Texas, then 4+ hours of desolation to Tucson, and 6 more hours of absolute nothingness (yes, that includes Yuma; Yuma is nothing) until San Diego. Gasp gasp.

My choice would probably be I-70 to US 6 to I-15N to I-80 west. It's one of the two quickest routes, and the Rockies crossing is a lot more interesting than on I-80.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Avoid all of Indiana! Although there has been some work done on the Interstates (and I-70 is greatly improved), they are still (all of them) too bumpy and those expansion joints at bridges are still horrible. About the time a section of Interstate gets all fixed, repaved, or widened, within 24 hours "they" are digging it back up again and then patching with massive bumps and stuff. So, any repairs on I-70 done in the last 3 months will be trashed by Spring!

Avoid Indiana, there just simply ain't any good Interstates. If you do come through Indiana, take US highways. They are MUCH MUCH smoother than the Interstates.

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
loggenrock wrote:
You asked about roads to avoid... Here's one - Interstate 78 from NJ into PA. Not because of grades, but just poor road condition. LOTS of potholes/broken surface. ... ST

😉 If potholes are the criteria to avoid a road: I-80 over Donner Pass, All Los Angeles freeways, I-5, CA 99, and I-580 into the SF Bay area. I am not sure if I-40 around Little Rock, and W. Memphis has been fixed up or not but it use to be a shocks shaker in the slow lane.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
the real problem with a gas MH going over the rockies is towing a 3K toad behind. I know cousins of mine who have disconnected the toad and DW driving the toad over the rockies then hooking back up and continuing

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
You asked about roads to avoid... Here's one - Interstate 78 from NJ into PA. Not because of grades, but just poor road condition. LOTS of potholes/broken surface. At times had to slow to almost 40 mph so didn't shake things loose! Figure coming from MD this might be a potential on your list... ST
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

the2sharps
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at https://www.flattestroute.com/
Gary and Cindy
2 Chihuahuas - Jack and Joe
2012 Fleetwood Jamboree 31M
2015 Ford Focus

Germania
Explorer
Explorer
If grades are your only consideration, then I70 is probably the toughest but certainly doable with your setup.Have been across a few times with 32 ft gasser towing 3000 lbs.Will it slow you down? Absolutely so get in the slow lane and enjoy.
For my money the scenery along I70 far surpasses any other Interstate route, especially in western Utahnjoy your trip no matter which you choose..

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sandy & Shirley wrote:
As stated in another post, we are planning a 6 week trip from Baltimore to Oakland and back, southern route over and northern back. Thanks to all of the information so far, we are placing a lot of “dots” on the map for places to stop for a day or so and will soon start to connect as many dots as possible.

We will be driving a 37 foot Class A, gas not diesel, and we will be pulling a Ford Focus, about 3,000 lbs. Are there any routes through the mountains that we should avoid? Do all of the Interstates lower grades, or are some far more difficult to travel.

Again, thanks in advance for all the helpful answers that you can post for us.

Presumably, your southern route would be either I-40/I-20/I-10 selection, and northern would be I-80 or I-90. That leaves I-70 as the NOT selected route, for either direction. Probably a good choice, at least for Colordao.

Though the maximum grade is 6% at the Eisenhower-Johnson Tunnels, as well as most of the other passes you would encounter, there would be a lot of Up/Down to traverse, either direction. For some folks it's no big deal. For others, who have no or little mountain driving experience, it can be intimidating. Avoidance resolves that!

On I-80, your highest elevation will be ~9600 feet, and that's between Laramie and Cheyenne WY. There's a significant hill outside of Laramie, climb going EB, decline going WB, with the high point being at the summit east of Laramie. Not really a pass, just a high point on the high plains. Heading WB it's more gradual than EB to the summit.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Google Earth Pro has a route profile feature that will give you the highest point and the grades along a route.

Simply set a start and end point in Earth and right click on the route. Select Profile. Looks like this.

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

CREATO
Explorer
Explorer
William Willard wrote:
No Interstate Highway grade is over 6% -- That does not apply on other highways -- William Willard

I-5 the grapevine is 7%
I dont rent out space in my brain

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don’t avoid I80, US50 or CA88. You’ll miss too much of the Sierras by going on a southerly route. If I had to choose I’d go US50 in Nevada and California. They all go up and then down...thousands of RVs use them every year.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

William_Willard
Explorer
Explorer

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the interstates have "challenging" sections when they cross the high ground. I-70, 80, 90 all have at least one or more "passes" that will slow you down. I've also been caught on I-90 behind slower moving vehicles to the point that the airflow through the rad was cut, and the temp gauge let us know pretty quickly. I think the more southerly interstate crossings might have slightly better grades for climb/descent. I would make sure the engine cooling system is in good shape, and change the rad fluid and the engine oil before you hit the hills, and you'll probably be fine.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)