cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roll Call Alaska 2014

sljohnson1938
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone traveling to Alaska in 2014? We ,my wife and I, are planning a trip and was wondering if anyone is planning on going in 2014 also.
Would go this year, except we have two weddings to go to in MI, one in late June the other in early August.
So next year we are planning to leave home in NC in mid July, we plan a 2 month trip. We were there in 2004, only that time we were with paid RV tour. Loved it, and would take another paid tour in a 'heart beat', but the cost is now too much.
The reason for the mid July date is looking at the 2013 Alaska postings the wx, road conditions and insects are at their worst. Later in the season all three are better. Plus I want to travel back on the Cassiar Hwy in Sept is supposed to be the best time of the year on the Cassiar, plus less travelers.
Finally, money is an issue with us. So we will 'boon dock', stay at
free or low cost CG's, rest areas, etc. when ever possible.

Hope you all have a great trip and hope to see you some where along the way.
1999 Dodge 3500 CTD dually
Ham radio - WU4S
1,645 REPLIES 1,645

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
That will get the tourists moving.

I always like your road cam postings.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
It is raining in the Whitehorse area BUT this is the Alaska Highway through Fort Nelson this morning - SNOW!

Note these images will automatically update with new images from the webcam.

This is the Alaska Highway at Steamboat Hill, about 50 miles northwest of Fort Nelson

ON EDIT, ADDING A STEAMBOAT PICTURE THAT WON'T UPDATE, FOR COMPARISON - 7 Sept at 9:30 a.m.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

daily_double
Explorer
Explorer
We are in Tok for the nite, heading south in the morning. Diesel is $4.32 here but still cheaper than Canada.

soos
Explorer II
Explorer II
MORSNOW wrote:
Beautiful pictures soos (your blog was great). Even when you live up here, you still look forward to and enjoy the northern lights. Could you hear and feel them? The hair on the back of my head stands up in awe while viewing them.

Thanks! It was an amazing show! Our whole trip to Alaska was awesome but the Northern Lights was probably one of the top few things we've seen in our 5 years of fulltiming!

Sue
Sue
soos-ontheroad.blogspot.com
Fulltiming since 2009
2012 Mobile Suites 36 TKSB4 pulled by a
2011 Ford F450
2005 Lance 1181 TC- our Vacation Home

MORSNOW
Navigator II
Navigator II
Beautiful pictures soos (your blog was great). Even when you live up here, you still look forward to and enjoy the northern lights. Could you hear and feel them? The hair on the back of my head stands up in awe while viewing them.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

soos
Explorer II
Explorer II
So glad we stayed north long enough to see this! It was absolutely amazing!! More pictures on my blog page!

Sue
soos-ontheroad.blogspot.com
Fulltiming since 2009
2012 Mobile Suites 36 TKSB4 pulled by a
2011 Ford F450
2005 Lance 1181 TC- our Vacation Home

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
Because the Canadian government "encourages" the use of diesel by Canadians, you will find a far larger percentage of diesel-powered vehicles--both trucks and cars--than in the U.S. There may be several factors creating that difference--a desire by the government and oil companies to ship more gasoline to the U.S., the ability to produce diesel more cheaply than gasoline from Alberta's tar sands, and government taxes. Unlike the U.S., therefore, diesel is readily available at every fueling station along the major NW Canadian highways no matter how small the station or the community. Interesting in a place where nighttime temps get to 50 below zero--so low that older diesels would have to be left running all night or they wouldn't start the next morning.

Once you get to Alaska, you will be back to U.S. prices, with gasoline somewhat more expensive than the Lower 48, but generally cheaper than diesel. That may be due to the fact that most of Alaska's refineries have been shut down for environmental reasons in the past 20 years. So now, Alaska ships Alaska Pipeline crude to the Lower 48 and gets much of its fuel shipped in from Lower 48 refineries. Makes a lot of sense, huh?
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

trcgolf
Explorer
Explorer
We are going to add a yet to determined auxiliary tank so I can have an option and by pass the expensive stations.
Thank you one and all for the information. We are getting excited and it's 9 months away.
2013 GMC 2500 HD
6.0 L Crew 4x4
Crossroads Zinger

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
trcgolf,

The Alaskan Highway and the main Alaska roads do not go over mountains, just some rolling hills and a few low passes, basically not high elevations.

So your mileage might be a little less than your local travel. But what you should expect is to pay for costly fuel. In 2013 gasoline was about 20 cents more per gallon than diesel in Canada and that is not a typo.

Our diesel average cost in 2013 was $4.35/gallon and we have a long range and could bypass the $6/gal fuel. If you don't plan ahead for fuel then expect to sometimes pay $6/gal. For 10,000 miles at 7MPH and $4.50/gal the fuel cost is $6,428.

But the trip is an adventure.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

krlgswanson
Explorer
Explorer
I found that travelling at 55 mph gets me about 6.5 mpg. I am towing a ford e-150 conversion van. at 60 mph I only got 5.1 mpg Speed is a big deal. I don't worry about speed on the hills...when I am doing 28 at the top I am happy to be in my gas powered RV!!
Ken Swanson
2003 Winnebago Brave
2007 Jeep Liberty
2005 Honda Metropolitan

daily_double
Explorer
Explorer
Also gas and diesel are about the same price here. If you get west of Anchorage or Glenallen you might want a little more oomph.

Tee_Jay
Explorer
Explorer
You will likely get 6-7 mpg north of Dawson Creek, as there are a few steep climbs and a lot of rolling hills. It will improve once you pass Teslin, and drop again between the US Border and Tok.

trcgolf
Explorer
Explorer
We are part of the 2015 group. This information regarding all of your journeys is very interesting to us neophytes who anxiously awaiting for our turn. I do have a question for any of the fiver travelers using gas rather than diesel pick ups.
My wife and I are wondering if we have made a mistake by buying a gas pickup. We are pulling a 10000 lb. Zinger with a 2013 6.0 L GMC and around here we get 7-8 mph. So what should we expect on our planned trip next year. Any information will be appreciated.
2013 GMC 2500 HD
6.0 L Crew 4x4
Crossroads Zinger

Ernest
Explorer
Explorer
krlgswanson wrote:
Sorry to have missed you Ernest! Hope your trip south goes well for you.

Yesterday we went to the Morris Thompson visitor center at the recommendation of a fellow camper and he was right...wow is all I can add. It was fantastic. Then we stopped by Santa Clause House and had a wonderful time. I even had my picture taken with Santa!

Today we headed up to Circle...its the end of the road at the Yukon Flats. Not much to see or do but it was nice to be out of the RV and on the road for 7 hours. Tomorrow we are heading up to Chena Hot Springs for the day. I can't wait to feel those healing waters.

Safe journeys to all.

Hello Ken,
Glad you're have a good time in Fairbanks.
Well be in Haines for a few days then leave the MH @ Hitch-Up and fly over to Juneau to see some friends for my wife's birthday. We take the ferry over to Skagway on the 3rd.
We've been to Haines before but the wildlife really greeted us yesterday. The pinks are in and the Bears and eagles are enjoying the feast.
Once again have a great time and maybe our paths will cross.
Ernest & Joanne
2000 Tradewinds 300 CAT
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited
Travelingonthetradewinds.blogspot.com 2014 Alaska Blog
Travelingonthetradewinds1.blogspot.com 2017 South West Blog

krlgswanson
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry to have missed you Ernest! Hope your trip south goes well for you.

Yesterday we went to the Morris Thompson visitor center at the recommendation of a fellow camper and he was right...wow is all I can add. It was fantastic. Then we stopped by Santa Clause House and had a wonderful time. I even had my picture taken with Santa!

Today we headed up to Circle...its the end of the road at the Yukon Flats. Not much to see or do but it was nice to be out of the RV and on the road for 7 hours. Tomorrow we are heading up to Chena Hot Springs for the day. I can't wait to feel those healing waters.

Safe journeys to all.
Ken Swanson
2003 Winnebago Brave
2007 Jeep Liberty
2005 Honda Metropolitan