cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roll Call Alaska 2014

sljohnson1938
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone traveling to Alaska in 2014? We ,my wife and I, are planning a trip and was wondering if anyone is planning on going in 2014 also.
Would go this year, except we have two weddings to go to in MI, one in late June the other in early August.
So next year we are planning to leave home in NC in mid July, we plan a 2 month trip. We were there in 2004, only that time we were with paid RV tour. Loved it, and would take another paid tour in a 'heart beat', but the cost is now too much.
The reason for the mid July date is looking at the 2013 Alaska postings the wx, road conditions and insects are at their worst. Later in the season all three are better. Plus I want to travel back on the Cassiar Hwy in Sept is supposed to be the best time of the year on the Cassiar, plus less travelers.
Finally, money is an issue with us. So we will 'boon dock', stay at
free or low cost CG's, rest areas, etc. when ever possible.

Hope you all have a great trip and hope to see you some where along the way.
1999 Dodge 3500 CTD dually
Ham radio - WU4S
1,645 REPLIES 1,645

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
Reports have been that the Cassiar is in good shape, gets better as you go south.

Some have indicated that the Alaska Highway between Fort Nelson and Fort St John is extremely busy and crowded with oil/gas field workers -- hard to find a campsite in the area.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

daily_double
Explorer
Explorer
For those of you who traveled the Cassier on the way home, what kind of shape was it in?

daily_double
Explorer
Explorer
Pioneer park in Fairbanks has 2 other RVs besides mine for those of you who remember what it was like in June & july.

NewallaBus
Explorer
Explorer
Joe B, thanks for the reply. Richard

NewallaBus
Explorer
Explorer
Joe B, thanks for the reply. Richard

traveylin
Explorer
Explorer
The mile post book...this was my second time to use it extensively and found it to be useful for areas north of Dawson creek. Areas south seem to be complicated by the need to consider too many alternate roads and byways. Comes off reading to much like a GPS database for the inhabited areas of British Columbia.

krlgswanson
Explorer
Explorer
Here we are in North Pole! The ride from Anchorage was long, had lots of construction but was mostly uneventful. We saw one moose and ended up with a rock chip in the passenger window from a truck in the Denali area.

Tomorrow we start to explore Fairbanks. We will be here at least a week and are very excited!

Alaska continues to challenge and amaze but it is totally worth it.

We are having a great time and enjoy the travels!
Ken Swanson
2003 Winnebago Brave
2007 Jeep Liberty
2005 Honda Metropolitan

sheltieRV
Explorer
Explorer
What do you wish you'd known before heading to Alaska?
We did a ton of research for this our first trip, so it was more a case of finding what you like and want to do. The next trip we will be more selective.

We knew the roads were going to be bad on the way up and were looking for frost heaves, but all the other roads issues were worse than I had thought but we took it slow.

What words of wisdom would you share with other RVers planning their Alaska trip?

1. Drive slow
2. take your time, saw too many people rushing to "get it done"
3. Expect a gravel parking lot, if it is nicer than you are pleasantly surprised and never disappointed.
4. Weathermen cannot predict weather, don't depend on the reports. Plan for the worst and enjoy it.

What were your favorite activities in Alaska?
See my best of list posting earlier.

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
daily double wrote:
only seen 1 roll call sign and they were not friendly,

How sucky, to have that happen. geeez.....

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

Graydust
Explorer
Explorer
After 12500 milers we are home. What a trip. We talked to so many people and made a lot of friends. No flat tires, grill good, windshield no nicks of crack. Everything went great. My wife did a blog. She has to do some finishing on it. When it is finished we will try to post it. Gas prices were the worst for out 5.7 himi. Campgrounds were great. We used Church Campgrounds and Milepost.

daily_double
Explorer
Explorer
We are going to Fairbanks to get mail and spend a few days. We have been here 2 months and have only seen 1 roll call sign and they were not friendly, go figure.Not looking forward to going home but sure don't want to se the snow start flying!

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
traveylin wrote:
Crossed the border at Oroville wa yesterday and spending a couple days here. Most discouraging question at customs was do you have any fruit or vegitibles. I explained that I had purged the Rv of such items and passed many Canadian fruit stands in the last sixty miles much to the wife's irritation. Response was,,,you could have brought the fruit veggies in because they are in season...we finished the day with a visit to the copper winery and fruit stand north of town, bought a couple of bottles to imbibe on the porch and listen to the Oroville police chief sing golden oldies. A great way to finish the Alaskan trip. Took down the roll call Alaska 2014 signs.
We will start a new journey tomorrow going south on us 97 as far as Nevada before heading east.

The trip to Alaska is unique in that we traveled with like minded folks and would meet the same individual several times along the way unplanned.

My question now is where do travelers go after Alaska....both forum and trip planning ...

Veggies, fruits and wood are THE big things at the border. The last time they took my tomatoes and some small wood pieces for BBQ, the one you buy in a bag for BBQ. The guy gave me a very long list of things not allowed to cross to USA depending where it comes from and what time of the year. I just do not take any anymore, too much problems depending on who's you talk to at the border.

Once you say what you have, depending on who's in the shack and how knowledgeable he is, they will pull you over to search the hole camper. NO to all questions usually gets you across easier.
Monaco Cayman 34 2003, Cummins 300HP
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.

reelgalnita
Explorer
Explorer
What do you wish you'd known before heading to Alaska? I wish I'd known how expensive the gas was compared to what I was paying in Montana, esp around the Muncho Lake area where I had to get gas (small gas tank in my Jeep) - also wish I'd known how nice the provincial parks were, I made reservations in a lot of campgrounds (worried about caravans, busy weekends) and wish I'd stayed in provincial parks in many instances. The reviews on the internet are a must to read. Everyone should travel with milepost, invaluable....

What words of wisdom would you share with other RVers planning their Alaska trip? Slow down on the rough roads, pay attention to those little orange flags and posts! Slow down and enjoy the scenery and have bug spray handy when you stop to photograph bears along side the road... eat in the small family owned restaurants along the way - most are surprisingly good! Travel with a sense of humor - you never know what is around the next bend.

What were your favorite activities in Alaska? Enjoyed our stay in Fairbanks - don't think I'd do the Riverboat cruise again, a bit too commercial for my taste. Visit the museums, visitor centers and talk with the people about things to do. take lots of pictures... we enjoyed our stay in Denali in Teklanika for 4 nights over July 4, glad we had reservations there as they were booked! Get the TEK pass and use it everyday to go out and see the park and what it has to offer. Drive to the Arctic Circle, at least to cross it and get your certificate from BLM Dottie at the BLM center at the Yukon Bridge. Also, get your certificate at Delta Junction visitor center once you have driven the Alaskan Highway - corny but fun! Try to go up AK highway and return on the Cassiar - we didn't and found it to be a bit boring but lovely drive. I know Kelowna is not in Alaska but we stayed there 9 days before returning home - what a delight! Do a tour with Sam Wilson in his '56 Caddy and enjoy the good eats and wine.

We traveled for 2 months in a Jeep, pulling an 18 foot R-pod with 2 golden retrievers and had a ball!

traveylin
Explorer
Explorer
Sue t. You might ask your questions again in late October after some reflection time. I have many stories about our encounters yet need to look forward to the next 2000 miles of our trip home.

One suggestion for travelers is to bring a comprehensive medical kit.. We used ours a number of times for ourselves and fellow travelers.

Pops

traveylin
Explorer
Explorer
Crossed the border at Oroville wa yesterday and spending a couple days here. Most discouraging question at customs was do you have any fruit or vegitibles. I explained that I had purged the Rv of such items and passed many Canadian fruit stands in the last sixty miles much to the wife's irritation. Response was,,,you could have brought the fruit veggies in because they are in season...we finished the day with a visit to the copper winery and fruit stand north of town, bought a couple of bottles to imbibe on the porch and listen to the Oroville police chief sing golden oldies. A great way to finish the Alaskan trip. Took down the roll call Alaska 2014 signs.
We will start a new journey tomorrow going south on us 97 as far as Nevada before heading east.

The trip to Alaska is unique in that we traveled with like minded folks and would meet the same individual several times along the way unplanned.

My question now is where do travelers go after Alaska....both forum and trip planning ...