cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roll Call Alaska 2015

trcgolf
Explorer
Explorer
I know its early but we have been planning for the past 3 months. I know its another 15 months at least till we leave but we are just going crazy...
So here is our very rough plan overview. Leave mid June from western NY; travel west up through Ill., Wis., Min., ND, into Canada.
Diagonally across Saskatch. and Alberta, BC, and YT...
Our first destination is Fairbanks, via Top of the World Highway... thinking of doing the Dempster to the Arctic Circle. I know there will many stops... some short, some long but all will be great.
Fairbanks to Homer with the obligatory Denali stop for a few days.
Homer to Portland Or; Oregon to San Fran; San Fran to home via the Northern US.

We have so much planning yet to do but reading all the Roll Call posts in 2013, and 2014 just keeps us going. Started to plan finances which brings us to the first major question.
I have heard all the diesel advantages and draw backs of the gas engines. We invested in a 32' fifth wheel and 2013 GMC 2500 HD with 6.0L Crew 4x4. The fiver weighs about 8K empty, I would guess 10,500 loaded. ( I will get that checked for sure)Brand new to Rving

The truck is my every dayer.... need the 4 wheel drive here in winter. The decision with gas was pure economics. A Cummins diesel and matching tranny was $9500 more. Doing the math it was going to take a bunch of miles to save enough in mileage to pay for the increase in price. About 100000 mile by my calculation. We not going to be full timers; one long trip a year to Florida.
Traveling around NY and Pa and maybe Florida, that all makes sense but going on a trip like this, I am not so sure gas was the way to go. So I am asking for those who used a truck like mine to haul a fifth wheel through Canada...Alaska...et al... What kind of mileage can I expect? Sorry for the novelette...I will get better at this.

Edited to add 'Alaska' within the title.
2013 GMC 2500 HD
6.0 L Crew 4x4
Crossroads Zinger
715 REPLIES 715

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Alaska fires to date....

and this from the Facebook page...

Due to the close proximity of the Anaconda Creek Fire and extreme weather conditions, Alaska State Parks has closed trails and backcountry public use cabins in the Chena River State Recreation Area along the north side of Chena Hot Springs Road.

The closed trails are the Compeau, Stiles Creek, Stiles Creek Extension, Chena Dome, and Angel Creek Hillside trails. The closed cabins are the Colorado, Stiles, Upper and Lower Angel Creek cabins.

Alaska State Parks is in the process of posting the closures at trailheads, closing gates, and cancelling cabin reservations. Campgrounds, road-accessible cabins, and all trails on the south side of the road including the Chena River remain open.

This temporary restriction will be lifted once area fire danger diminishes.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
We drove up from Tok to Chicken thought we would get away from the Long Lake and Chrisana II fire but the smoke is as bad or worse up here. A fellow said there was a fire up by Eagle? may just be smoke from the Dot Lake fire, haven't heard of one near Eagle.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
Yesterday we drove from Nikiski to Cooper Landing. Didn't see any flames or smoke and there was no traffic. Card Street Fire, Stetson Creek, and Juneau Lake fires were partially contained, last I heard. Kenai NWR is still mostly closed - Skilak Lake Road is only partly open but all the campgrounds seem to be closed. No campfires allowed in the area, though some camp hosts will still sell you firewood. It is supposed to rain this weekend so that should help.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Two fires became one yesterday and overnight. In reading the info...smoke is going to be an even bigger factor than it has been.

https://www.facebook.com/AK.Forestry?fref=ts

Gary Haupt

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
It's convenient for us locals to have a single spot to put updates about conditions or emerging situations, knowing those that are on their journey will likely check into that spot. Makes it convenient for us.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Started in 2013 and there is a lot of very valuable information in the threads. Unsubscribe and don't add more useless posts.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

daily_double
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Moderator! I just don't understand people who know what the thread is about, then click on to it and criticize it ??? :h

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Over the years folks planning their trips to Alaska found it easier to follow-up and see what fellow forum members were doing as part of their adventures each year. The alternative in the past was to literally have hundreds of disconnected threads going on the same topic.

Even with this format, some members have started additional threads that deal with BC and Alaska travel but have more specific interests or questions.

It is what has worked best over the years.

... Eric (Moderstor)

Okie_Lady_Trave
Explorer
Explorer
jamesu wrote:
What is with this never ending "Roll Call" EVERY year? Page after page after page. Who reads this stuff? Wondering why the moderator never shuts it down after 10-15 pages. Come next January 1st it will be time to start "Roll Call 2016" and start It all over again. Not trying to be a Scrooge. Just wondering.

We are in Alaska now and I check often to see about updates that people put on here about the different areas they are visiting. Especially with the fires close to main highways, it is important to get perspective from other RVers. Also the last couple of years when preparing for this trip, I have read through many of the posts from the previous years. Loads of information. Another point is that when people loose interest in the post, they will no longer visit this site and it will naturally die on its own.

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
jamesu wrote:
What is with this never ending "Roll Call" EVERY year? Page after page after page. Who reads this stuff? Wondering why the moderator never shuts it down after 10-15 pages. Come next January 1st it will be time to start "Roll Call 2016" and start It all over again. Not trying to be a Scrooge. Just wondering.

uhmm...2016 Roll Call is already up and running. I too was wondering about why that was allowed, but....for people that like to plan way ahead, I guess that for them..it is a good tool.

Gary Haupt

jamesu
Explorer
Explorer
2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, Tombstone is an amazing spot to camp. Good hiking trails there too, the North Klondike River trail off the campground is an easy go and scenic.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

trcgolf
Explorer
Explorer
Dawson city heading for TOW and chicken tomorrow
Camped at tombstone park
Unbelievable spot
Worth the 72km drive
2013 GMC 2500 HD
6.0 L Crew 4x4
Crossroads Zinger

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
The area of Alaska that is under a Red Flag Warning is larger that the state of Texas.

Red Flag...no fires, no fireworks. Nothing that can set off a fire.

Gary Haupt

beeman1
Explorer
Explorer
In Fort Nelson BC and have not seen any other Roll Call signs. good
weather great time.:)