cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roll Call Alaska 2016

GGeorge
Explorer
Explorer
I have been planning this trip for 4+ years. It is now time to update my estimates and make my reservations.

Estimate Wash/BC border about 5 May 2016, north on route 97/1/2 to Tok, south to Valdez, make the hump to Anchorage, then to Homer and Seward, north to Denali, Fairbanks, back to TOK and off to Dawson, then south to Watson Lake, Smithers, then to CAN 16 east to Jasper,/Banff, on to Glacier in Montana, arriving early Sept so I can get thru the park then west to Kalispell. South thru the US to Houston area for the thanksgiving holiday and Florida for the Christmas holiday. Since I am sure it will be cold in Ohio I wont return home till April 2017.

Alaska here we come!!!!

G George

On edit, yup it's time to plan 2016. I edited your post to modify the title to be consistent with previous years; it will facilitate future searches for members.

... Eric (Moderator)
GGeorge
Marietta, Ohio
2014 Coachmen Encounter
2010 Jeep Liberty
782 REPLIES 782

missnmountains
Explorer
Explorer
bigboomer wrote:
Rambling RV Rat: Snowbound in the Middle of Nowhere - An "Unscheduled Stop" in our Trek North to Alaska

http://ramblingrvrat.blogspot.com/2016/05/snowbound-in-middle-of-nowhere.html?m=1

Hearing your story first hand had me shaking. We are glad you guys are safe and here in Whitehorse.

I cannot say it enough that I am so happy we stayed in Fort Nelson.

Ken
2016 Newmar Dutch Star 4369

Our Blog: Lawrence Adventures

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
DwayneN wrote:
In reading this I wonder if I should toss in a set of chains for the truck. Might never need them but what the heck is another few pounds. We are leaving Minnesota next Tuesday so this storm shouldn't be a concern by the time we get up there but if there is another...

When I was traveling with the TC and 4x4 truck, I allways carried a set of chain and was never afraid of any road condition. I could use chain on all 4 tires.

The chain I carry with the class A
https://www.etrailer.com/Tire-Chains/Glacier/PW6087.html

I have 6 of these, normally using 2 sets per read side. It is very quick to install, I modified it to be able to quickly attached it to the wheel using 2 rubber tie down. You simply pass it through the outside wheel and hook it, you have to use the proper lenght to make sure it will be tight. This is not to be use at 60 miles per hour, but if you go slow, there is no problem at all. I did have to use it once to climb a steep house driveway and to get out of a snow and ice parking area in a slope. If in doubt, I would use 3 per side of ensure a safe stop if needed.

When going downhill, the rear tires would hold you pretty good with the chains as the front end would tend to slide off on a slippery road. Using the low gear and the exhaust brake is only slowing down the rear so the front can still be steered. At worst you could also use chain up front in a very bad situation.

If I ever get in a situation where I have to move a couple of miles to get to a secrue place, I have no doubt I would use it. I also carry 2 rubber snow sled track cut in 3 feet pieces, very easy to store. This would be usefull to get out of sand or mud. I also once had to use pieces of 8 inch lumber to get out of a mud spot with the class A.

Be prepare, be safe.
Monaco Cayman 34 2003, Cummins 300HP
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.

DwayneN
Explorer
Explorer
In reading this I wonder if I should toss in a set of chains for the truck. Might never need them but what the heck is another few pounds. We are leaving Minnesota next Tuesday so this storm shouldn't be a concern by the time we get up there but if there is another...

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
One day at a time, you never know what's next. Do not worry about reservations, there is an overflow in Liard.

18 of June in 2014, we had snow on top of the world highway. Just pass Chicken, it was mud and snow.

9 of June 2012, we had a snow storm in Denali Park, the bus was stopped for a couple of hours.

Enjoy!
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
The stories and memories will live on forever and you're barely into the trip. 🙂 Glad everyone is OK.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

bigboomer
Explorer
Explorer
Rambling RV Rat: Snowbound in the Middle of Nowhere - An "Unscheduled Stop" in our Trek North to Alaska

http://ramblingrvrat.blogspot.com/2016/05/snowbound-in-middle-of-nowhere.html?m=1
www.ramblingrvrat.blogspot.com

'09 Int'l Durastar 4400LP
'15 Montana 3610RL
3 - 270W Solar Panels
6- 305amp AGM's
Magnum 2812 Inv
Midnite Solar Classic 150
Trimetric 2030RV
Primus 40 Wind

http://s962.photobucket.com/user/mybigboomer/library/RV%20Solar%20System

missnmountains
Explorer
Explorer
Carrera glider wrote:
What is the rush, find a place to pull off take a break even if it takes a day or two. Be safe, most of you have a home on wheels.

Exactly why we holed up here at triple G for three nights. We are headed out this morning.

Ken

SBradley
Explorer
Explorer
What is the rush, find a place to pull off take a break even if it takes a day or two. Be safe, most of you have a home on wheels.
S Bradley
Navion IQ 24V

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
A friend just posted this on facebook:

A very interesting Day 7: Fort Nelson BC to Watson Lake Yukon! 514km/320 miles. Got snowed in trying to cross the summit near Summit Lake! Got pushed out of a drift by 2 Alaskans when the plow plowed me in - then got rescued by a driller called Earl who hopped into the Merc and drove her over the summit and down the other side for me with the confidence that only a local with a class 1 licence could have - thanks to his mate too for picking him up on the other side! In the end I was the only vehicle to go over heading North! It was a lonely highway! Crazy conditions and I'm now proud to own a few more grey hairs!
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
We once had a snowstorm too in this area, we camped on top of Steamboat pass. The day after was beautifull with snow in the valleys and mountain top.

Enjoy!

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
It might be starting to melt, but still pretty thick on Steamboat, which is known for thick fog. I remember my Mom making my sister get out and walk on the highway alongside the ditch in the dark, so we wouldn't drive into the ditch in thick fog.

Again, this image will update automatically as the day progresses.

sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Came through Stone Mtn and Lake Muncho today going south. Just got a hotel room at Dawson Creek. I'm just driving my truck as I'm headed south to pick up a TT I bought in Idaho. There was 6" of snow up on top today. I probably drove through 250 miles or more of snow today.

Trucks spun out causing the problems and then everything came to a stop up on top for about four hours. Saw a DP headed north, looks like he spun out on a curve an slid down to the inside. They were shoveling snow. If they got down to the gravel, he'd probably pull out.

There was a 5th whl headed south that spun out and slid into the north bound lane in a slight jack knife. IMHO way too much of a 5th for what looked like a 2WD - no lock out hubs on the the front axle, but didn't have time to look anymore, there was oncoming traffic. There might be a 4X4 in his future.

Saw a pick up headed north chained up on all fours, he was doing all right. The bob-tail semi spun out one of the hills in front of me. While we sat there for four hours the dummy could have put on a set of chains like the other drivers did.

Left Anch yesterday morning at 3:30AM and was on the road again by 5:30 AM this morning. What are all of RVers doing out there on the road at 5:30AM, or earlier any way??? Most of you are retired, you shouldn't be on the road before 9:00 AM, learn how to enjoy sleeping in.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Tarheel_2
Explorer
Explorer
Glad I saw these messages. We're in Whitecourt tonight and headed early in the morning for Dawson Creek and would probably have been close to that area by tomorrow night. Walmart parking lot is looking pretty good right now!
Tarheel

2lazy4U
Explorer
Explorer
Sue, thanks for the highway cams link. I love cruising around from my living room, especially in bad weather. It's a beautiful day here in W. Colorado.

missnmountains
Explorer
Explorer
Now it looks like we may not be leaving until Monday or Tuesday. No worries. Just an update, it is now snowing here in Fort Nelson.

Ken