cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roll Call Alaska 2016

GGeorge
Explorer
Explorer
I have been planning this trip for 4+ years. It is now time to update my estimates and make my reservations.

Estimate Wash/BC border about 5 May 2016, north on route 97/1/2 to Tok, south to Valdez, make the hump to Anchorage, then to Homer and Seward, north to Denali, Fairbanks, back to TOK and off to Dawson, then south to Watson Lake, Smithers, then to CAN 16 east to Jasper,/Banff, on to Glacier in Montana, arriving early Sept so I can get thru the park then west to Kalispell. South thru the US to Houston area for the thanksgiving holiday and Florida for the Christmas holiday. Since I am sure it will be cold in Ohio I wont return home till April 2017.

Alaska here we come!!!!

G George

On edit, yup it's time to plan 2016. I edited your post to modify the title to be consistent with previous years; it will facilitate future searches for members.

... Eric (Moderator)
GGeorge
Marietta, Ohio
2014 Coachmen Encounter
2010 Jeep Liberty
782 REPLIES 782

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are no better or worst places to stay - there are just places. You'll discover that CG's are open 8-10 weeks per YEAR so they are not top class. And you won't care because you are there for the far north adventure not some CG with various facilities. Here's a big clue:
In Yukon with a population of 36,000 and 186,272 square miles you can meet one person every 5 square miles – how’s that for a big front yard?

About staying at the next CG: Leave by at least 9am and stop by 2pm - you'll be ahead of the rest of the pack. You can't do anything about the caravan reservations but you can be ahead of the rest of the pack and have a better site or just get in. And if not just pull off into one of the various possibilities and there are many.

OK a class A is more limited than a hummer but still lots of options. I'd certainly advise towing but lots of options...

Sure a 9,000 mile trip to a foreign county is daunting but - yes Canada is a foreign country but very friendly.

A caravan camper let us copy his itinerary and we went to most of their tourist places. If you scan our Alaskan Trip blog you'll pick up most of them.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
We are also wanting to take our 1st Alaska trip in 2016. Has anyone assembled a list of the better places to stay and things to see? I was hoping for someone to recount a previous trip mentioning good campgrounds (and the bad ones). We'll be travelling in a class A and I'm sure that will put some areas out of reach but just the enormity of the trip should make for an epic adventure. Just looking at the atlas is kind of daunting. It would also be fun to connect with some of the RV.Netters at the campgrounds. I'm assuming that the last week of May is about the earliest 1st time Alaska trippers should cross over into Canada. BTW, does anyone know if DishNetwork works that far north?

GGeorge
Explorer
Explorer
topic bump
GGeorge
Marietta, Ohio
2014 Coachmen Encounter
2010 Jeep Liberty

12thgenusa
Explorer
Explorer
2016 will be the first trip for us. It has been a dream trip for many years. We had wanted to go the first year we were both retired (2013) but a back surgery in April of that year ended that plan. Then along came a move to northern Colorado, and recently, a knee replacement surgery.

We plan to leave some time in June after a visit to Arkansas for for my MIL's 90th birthday.

We're starting to get the planning going and getting excited.

2007 Tundra DC 4X4 5.7, Alcan custom rear springs, 2009 Cougar 245RKS, 370 watts ET solar, Victron BMV-712, Victron SmartSolar 100/30, 200AH LiP04 bank, ProWatt 2000.

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
I believe that 2012 was the last year that US dollars flowed to the Shakwak Agreement to fund maintenance and improvements in the Alaska Hwy and Haines Cut Off between Haines and the Border at Port Alcan.

This funding was normally in the range of $20 to $30 million dollars per year. Keep in mind the political situations in the world in 1997, when the Shakwak funding first started. It was put in the US federal budget under Gerald Ford and then in late January Jimmy Carter was sworn in as president.

During those years it was seen as a need to have an ice free port, such as Haines and a land connection to get goods and services to the US military in Alaska, the same basic reason the Alaska Hwy was built in the first place. Sometimes I think we RVers start thinking it wass built for our personal enjoyment as a way to drive to Alaska and hear the fat lady sing, so to speak.

The US no longer has any real need for the Alaska Hwy or the Haines Cut off road as the Alaska military is supplied by air and barge out of the lower 48 these days. I can't remember the last time I saw a US military convoy using either road and probably never will again. The Alaska Ferry system is in much the same situation, it was started as a way to subsidize transportation costs for the residents of SE Alaska, back when they basically controlled the legislature in Juneau, which is no longer true. The power has switched to the Anchorage bowl and the Railbelt region of the state.

The latest state budget short fall, that I have seen , is over $3 billion dollars. But with 2016 being an election year, I really doubt that much is going to be done to fix the problem long term. I suspect there will be major cuts in the ferry system for next summer, cuts in the state parks, road maintenance in general, and it may even get so bad that they will have to cut back on building and maintaining bike paths in the Anchorage area. LOL

Alaska dollars come from 3 main sources, about 1/3 are from oil revenues which are declining greatly in price and volume, 1/3 from federal spending, which will probably continue declining and the last 1/3 from all other sources, mining, fishing, timber, etc. The only real source of business dollars to the state come from the Alaska Native Corporations, which earn money outside the state but spend it in Alaska. Very few tourist dollars end up staying in state, very long. Very few Alaska owned tourist businesses. Current estimate is that 20% of the Alaska workforce doesn't live in Alaska.

All this verbiage to say, expect to see some changes in Alaska and on the way, those of you, that have been to the north country before. It will still be a great trip for 99.99% of the visitors.
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
In Yukon, your off-road vehicle must be insured to be on campground roads. The rules also apply to any road that is government maintained. Same rules in B.C., I believe. I think in B.C. a licence on the vehicle is also required.

sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
When we go, we'll be in a large toy hauler. With that being said, I don't really want to take our Harleys up there for site seeing, so does anyone have any recommendations what we could take to do some site seeing with, 4 wheeler, UTV, dune buggy??? It would need to be something legal to drive from maybe the campground to the side roads.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

Fer2005
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry to hear that! I'd like to say a lot more but this is a family forum!

If it gets graded it might be smoother though!
2009 Winnebago Journey 39Z
2012 Ford Taurus Toad

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
Well, you can all expect to once again drive the gravel sections between Haines Junction and the Alaska border in 2016. Paving of these sections was put on hold because the USA is no longer providing financial support via the Shakwak Agreement. This 1977 agreement provided funding for improvements to the Haines Road and the Alaska Highway from Haines Junction to the border. About 90% per cent of the traffic on this section are American travelers.

Read more in the Yukon News
http://yukon-news.com/news/no-new-money-for-shakwak-roadwork/
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

Fishhunter
Explorer
Explorer
Just got back from Whitehorse. Bought a TC from Fraserway. Sue is right, absolutely no traffic on the Alcan, in fact none to speak of from Glenallen to Whitehorse. Nice drive except for the frost heaves. Clear roads going over, but had snow off and on coming home.
sue.t wrote:
This morning (Nov 6) on my way into Whitehorse there was a truck with a travel trailer (about 30' long) parked in one of the rest areas. The morning temperature was -8C (17F). It was too dark to see the licence plates, but I figure maybe an Alaskan heading south.

Other than locals, most RVs are off the Yukon highways now. This afternoon numerous trucks with campers heading out, likely for hunting. Better than sleeping in a tent this time of year.
2021Ram 3500 DRW
2020 Arctic Fox 29-5K
ORV 24RLS Titanium (Sold)
2015 Adventurer 86FB (Sold)

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
FYI On 8/21/13 many of the Alaskan highway CG's including their fuel stations were closed for the season. Plan ahead.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

GGeorge
Explorer
Explorer
My jump off date is 3 May 2016 leaving from Ohio. With only 174 more days, I am excited after 5 years of route planning, hunting for places to see and things to do.

I am planning 35 days from here to the Canada border, a total of 50 days to/from Alaska thru Canada, and 45 days in Alaska, before I am back in the USA near Browning, MT in mid September hopefully before Glacier NP closes.

I have read reference books from every author and publisher available. I have changed my route 3 times and have an unknown amount of things to see and do. If it rains, I figured I have been wet before. If it is cooler, well I have been cool and cold before. If it snows, I am in big trouble.

I am looking forward to meeting some of you on this trip.

GGeorge
GGeorge
Marietta, Ohio
2014 Coachmen Encounter
2010 Jeep Liberty

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
This morning (Nov 6) on my way into Whitehorse there was a truck with a travel trailer (about 30' long) parked in one of the rest areas. The morning temperature was -8C (17F). It was too dark to see the licence plates, but I figure maybe an Alaskan heading south.

Other than locals, most RVs are off the Yukon highways now. This afternoon numerous trucks with campers heading out, likely for hunting. Better than sleeping in a tent this time of year.
sue t.

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
With El Nino this year, what is the forecast for next summer? I went in 2012 in late May, June and early July and it was not bad. In 2014 I went in late June and july, it was very rainy.

If you plan to go on the Dalton, make sure you pressure spray the underside of you vehicle at the first occasion, ie in Fairbanks. The stuff they have on the road goes like ciment after a very short time. I still find some of that stuff stuck to the frame after 2 years.

I went with a thuck camper on a Ford 4x4 both years, for me it was the best option to go on the Dempster, Dalton, Dawson to Chicken, Denali highway and going up the Salmon Glacier in Hyder. My bigfoot 10.6 truck camper was a litle crampy especially after weeks of rain but it is a great camper to take any rough road.

Not sure if I would take the TC again, now used to a 34 feet Class A and its great views and comfort. I sure would not do any of the Artic roads with a class A, the Denali or the Salmon Glacier.
Monaco Cayman 34 2003, Cummins 300HP
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.

DakotaCamper
Explorer
Explorer
sljohnson1938 wrote:
DakotaCamper wrote:
We're in for 2016. We have a truck camper but we are taking my mother with us and there is not enough room for 3 adults and 3 pets in the TC. We bought a small 5'er to tow up there.

Looking forward to our trip. My DH spent 25 years in Alaska and has been all over the place so I have my own personal tour guide.

Hi Sally - hope all is well there. doing fine here.

stuart

PS - Fearless leader

Ha! You make me laugh, Stuart. Looking forward to seeing you and your wife again next summer. Hopefully at Hook's place, too!
Sally

2006 Ford F-550
2006 Lance 1191 Truck Camper
Torklift Tiedowns, FastGuns, SuperHitch, FastGun Wobble Stoppers, Lock and Load Cargo Carrier
2008 Surveyor 260BH Fifth Wheel
Torklift GlowStep Revolution, B&W Companion Hitch