cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roll Call Alaska 2016

GGeorge
Explorer
Explorer
I have been planning this trip for 4+ years. It is now time to update my estimates and make my reservations.

Estimate Wash/BC border about 5 May 2016, north on route 97/1/2 to Tok, south to Valdez, make the hump to Anchorage, then to Homer and Seward, north to Denali, Fairbanks, back to TOK and off to Dawson, then south to Watson Lake, Smithers, then to CAN 16 east to Jasper,/Banff, on to Glacier in Montana, arriving early Sept so I can get thru the park then west to Kalispell. South thru the US to Houston area for the thanksgiving holiday and Florida for the Christmas holiday. Since I am sure it will be cold in Ohio I wont return home till April 2017.

Alaska here we come!!!!

G George

On edit, yup it's time to plan 2016. I edited your post to modify the title to be consistent with previous years; it will facilitate future searches for members.

... Eric (Moderator)
GGeorge
Marietta, Ohio
2014 Coachmen Encounter
2010 Jeep Liberty
782 REPLIES 782

petrel
Explorer
Explorer
In Seward now. Spent two days and one night in kenai and ninilchik. Decided to make a week of the peninsula so we can return to ninilchik for an absurdly expensive halibut charter at the end of the month. Going to homer in a few days.
43' Renegade/Coronado '06
2017 F450
2001 Ford Excursion PSD
1997 F350 Crew Cab PSD

Chiefelectusn
Explorer
Explorer
sljohnson1938 wrote:
we are now in Homer, AK. spent the last two nites in a Alaska state CG in Ninilchik. wx was great the first day with great view of the mts. the second day was crummy. cloudy all day. will spend two nites here at the Homer Spit CG.
we then start back. plan to spend couple of days in Chicken then not sure if we will go TOW highway.

stuart

If weather permits take the TOW. It's a fun drive, some great sights, plus Dawson City is a real treat. Lots of history, heck the ferry ride across the Yukon River is worth the trip.
Andy, Barney, Opie and Aunt Bea would want you to.

sljohnson1938
Explorer
Explorer
we are now in Homer, AK. spent the last two nites in a Alaska state CG in Ninilchik. wx was great the first day with great view of the mts. the second day was crummy. cloudy all day. will spend two nites here at the Homer Spit CG.
we then start back. plan to spend couple of days in Chicken then not sure if we will go TOW highway.

stuart
1999 Dodge 3500 CTD dually
Ham radio - WU4S

dreamer
Explorer
Explorer
Carrera glider wrote:
Heading to Hyder today, we will be in Tok in the afternoon then head to Destruction Bay for the night. If we cross paths say Hi, Alaska plates on our Navion IQ.
We will post a road report going S tomorrow from Whitehorse and on the way back to Alaska, after driving up and down the Cassiar.

Smoke in Anchorage a little worse this morning wind must be blowing our way.
The fire is on the Mountain side just out side of Anchorage if we get some rain they should make good progress toward control. Highway S is open right now.

We're not too far behind you. Decided not to do top of the world and head south. Very interested in a road report and a bear report from Hyder. Thanks.

dreamer.
'07 HR Scepter - 400HP
'02 Tracker
'02 Honda Reflex
'16 Chevy Silverado - M&G Brake System
'17 RZR 900 Trail
'17 RZR 1000 High Lifter

How does it feel
To be on your own
With no direction home
Like a complete unknown
Like a rolling stone? - Bob Dylan

SBradley
Explorer
Explorer
Heading to Hyder today, we will be in Tok in the afternoon then head to Destruction Bay for the night. If we cross paths say Hi, Alaska plates on our Navion IQ.
We will post a road report going S tomorrow from Whitehorse and on the way back to Alaska, after driving up and down the Cassiar.

Smoke in Anchorage a little worse this morning wind must be blowing our way.
The fire is on the Mountain side just out side of Anchorage if we get some rain they should make good progress toward control. Highway S is open right now.
S Bradley
Navion IQ 24V

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
There's a big fire 20 mi SW of McCarthy - up to 20,000 acres. I'd be concerned with smoke. Check it out.

http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/4867/

The McCarthy fire created a smoky haze in southwestern Yukon. Whitehorse was quite thick with it today.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
We left our fifth wheel at an open area by the Copper River when we drove into McCarthy http://yukonsights.ca/20100826_Valdez-Chitina.html

Kennecott Mines historical site

sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
Nabesna Road in August 2010
http://yukonsights.ca/20100823_NabesnaRd.html

sue t.

GGeorge
Explorer
Explorer
Departing Homer tomorrow AM, I think the tour group will be ahead of me on our way to Anchorage. Will be @ JBER fri & sat, then to Palmer sunday. Lake Louise Tuesday and Valdez wed thru Sunday. Weather in Homer is nice now but expect rain Fri-Sun. Homer definite do is Pratt Museum and Skyline Drive. Also, at Ocean and Island Visitor Center Mom Moose and 2 calves have been in area. 2 Sisters has great lunches and fresh baked bread. Eagles nest w/3 eaglets @ city dump station to the left as you enter from the traffic light end.

Travel safe!
GGeorge
Marietta, Ohio
2014 Coachmen Encounter
2010 Jeep Liberty

lizzie
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so much for the info. We saw the fire driving in yesterday but it rained all night and is still raining so we are hoping for the best. I think we will try for Kenny Lake. We want to stay a couple of nights. I don't hear much about the Nabesna Road. Is it worthwhile? lizzie

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
lizzie wrote:
Can someone who went to McCarthy please let me know quickly where you parked your RV? We are in Valdez until Saturday morning, then want to drive out to McCarthy. lizzie
Lizzie, check with the folks at the Kenny Lake store. They may let you leave the RV there while you go to McCarthy. They have electric hookup sites and non-electric sites, potable water, and a dump. But there is also plenty of open space and parking lot that they may be willing to let you use for short-term parking if you don't want to stay there. Just remember that it is an all-day trip to Kennecott, so you may want to have a campsite before you make that long drive.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
There's a big fire 20 mi SW of McCarthy - up to 20,000 acres. I'd be concerned with smoke. Check it out.

http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/4867/
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

lizzie
Explorer
Explorer
Can someone who went to McCarthy please let me know quickly where you parked your RV? We are in Valdez until Saturday morning, then want to drive out to McCarthy. lizzie

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
He could also take the Skagway Haines ferry.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

dreamer
Explorer
Explorer
How is the top of the world highway? Thanks.

dreamer.
'07 HR Scepter - 400HP
'02 Tracker
'02 Honda Reflex
'16 Chevy Silverado - M&G Brake System
'17 RZR 900 Trail
'17 RZR 1000 High Lifter

How does it feel
To be on your own
With no direction home
Like a complete unknown
Like a rolling stone? - Bob Dylan