cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Route around Atlanta

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
I have yet to plot a route around Atlanta going north south.
Atlanta occupies about a 1/3 of the state west to east.
Anyone found a good route around Atlanta that won't take two hours longer?
16 REPLIES 16

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
Tifton to Calhoun is about an extra 50 miles to go up thru Albany to Columbus and Rome and rejoin I-75 at Calhoun. So that's an hour. I don't lose as much time with the RV as I would solo, I'm towing 65-68 anyway. Lots less traffic, and you can sit for a hour in Atlanta.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

M_R_E_
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks rwess. I will give that route a try next year.
toolmaker

rwess
Explorer
Explorer
Use US 27, great road. Mostly 4 lane the whole way and 65 mph. Just figure out where to connect to it and where to get off. Beats the heck out of I-75 and Atlanta traffic. Use I-185 from LaGrange to Columbus.
rwess
USN Ret.
2017 Open Range 216RBS
2010 Chevy 2500HD Z71 4x4 LT

Mayor30
Explorer
Explorer
Atlanta sucks no matter when you go through. look for another route that goes way,wat around.

ADAD437
Explorer
Explorer
down home wrote:
I-75. Thought about going on I65 to I10 and across to I75 and toward Tampa. It's been a while and last time, Tolls at up rolls of quarters and and bunch of dollar and five dollar bills in a car on Sunshine Parkway. I understand some don't even take money now they mail you a bill a big one without a transponder.
I should have asked for advice on entire route to Tampa, from I75/I24 split.

where are the tolls on this route, i take it all the time to visit family. no tolls.

James,Gail & Pancho
2005 georgie boy Pursuit

๐Ÿ˜›

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
With COVID, I don't think traffic is nearly as bad as it used to be. My wife had to go to her office the other day, and instead of being 1.5 hours, it was about .75 hours.

Like someone suggested, just get in a middle lane, and go straight through, just take your time and don't hurry.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
75 is the easiest. Go non-rush hour. You will find fairly regular traffic from 575 south to the perimeter. I will ease up there. Just keep off the right lane and certainly the left. Left lane will suddenly end up and ramp and then dead end on the bridge into the road crossing the interstate.
Try to stay with the traffic and watch as far ahead as you can see. changing lanes constantly is not a good idea and some of our troopers working the traffic there will remind you.
We have some interesting things in Atlanta, but nothing worth slowing down and getting hit from the rear when trying to see them.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
bucky wrote:
Go through mid-morning between 9:30-11:00, stay in the second lane from the right and you'll have no trouble straight through on I-75.

I usually suggest get there BEFORE rush hour traffic. No later than 6AM.

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
I-75. Thought about going on I65 to I10 and across to I75 and toward Tampa. It's been a while and last time, Tolls at up rolls of quarters and and bunch of dollar and five dollar bills in a car on Sunshine Parkway. I understand some don't even take money now they mail you a bill a big one without a transponder.
I should have asked for advice on entire route to Tampa, from I75/I24 split.

Darklock
Explorer
Explorer
early Sunday morning is the only good time.

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
75 or 85?
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
I make it a point to go through Atlanta early Sunday morning. I usually never have to kick cruise control off.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just drive thru there is no good bypass.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
anxiously waiting for the magical solution.
bumpy