cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Route from NE to Grand Canyon

bp_mp_tx
Explorer
Explorer
Considering a trip from our home in central TX to the Samboree in Hastings, NE then to the Grand Canyon. Can anyone tell me about Hwy 191 in Utah, Hwy 163 in Arizona & Utah & Hwys 160 & 89 in AZ.? We're driving a RAM 3500 dually & pulling a 36' TT (so we're about 60' bumper to bumper). Just don't want to run into any surprises. lol
Bill & Mary
2017 Thor Challenger 36TL
2017 Jeep Cherokee
6 REPLIES 6

mwebber78
Explorer
Explorer
See the North Rim if you've got some time and stay up that way a few days.
2013 Jayco Eagle 334RBTS
Disclaimer for the daft: Don't confuse my opinion with facts.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
speaking of back country driving, if you aren't used to crossing those cattle control pipes crossing the road, or the fake ones, beware that there might be free range cattle jumping in front of you. 🙂
bumpy

dkreuzen
Explorer
Explorer
bp/mp/tx wrote:
Considering a trip from our home in central TX to the Samboree in Hastings, NE then to the Grand Canyon. Can anyone tell me about Hwy 191 in Utah, Hwy 163 in Arizona & Utah & Hwys 160 & 89 in AZ.? We're driving a RAM 3500 dually & pulling a 36' TT (so we're about 60' bumper to bumper). Just don't want to run into any surprises. lol

It appears you are planning on going from Flagstaff, AZ to 191 north towards Moab, UT through Monument Valley. I have taken that route many times, like two weeks ago 😉

Hwy 191 in Utah: There is a rough section between US160 and Bluff. If you use US163 you will bypass it.

Hwy 163 in Arizona & Utah: That's the route to see Monument valley. The road has a few rough spots but very scenic. Steep grade south of the Mexican Hat but I have never had a problem.

Hwys 160 & 89 in AZ.: Both are good two lane roads. 89 north out of Flagstaff has a long grade but not bad. 160 through Tuba City is good but put on your defensive driving hat while driving in the reservation. :E
Dennis
2012 Monaco Knight 36PFT
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon on 2007 16' Car Trailer

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
I hope there is more to see on your trip than the Grand Canyon where visitors spend an average of 3 hours at the South Rim. Of course, most don't hike or take the horses down to the bottom, etc.
You could spice it up a bit by staying in Williams and taking the train to the South Rim. At least this takes a day which includes the three hours while the train turns around.
P.S. Mountain Directory West is a good resource for trip planning.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
What part of US-191 are you talking about. From the Arizona state line to I-70 there are lots of ups and downs with one short really steep grade South of Blanding as Bumpy mentioned. There is a pretty good climb out of Moab to I-70. Between I-70 and I-80, there is a steep grade North of Helper and then up and down around/through Flaming Gorge. The last time we drove it two years ago the road was in pretty good condition.

You will need to check on the road conditions for US-89 South of Page, it was closed a while back after a land slide.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
191 in Utah was decent a number of years ago but there was one fairly high grade to climb, blanding to bluff or somewhere along there.
bumpy