cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rt 40 Alberta Canada?

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
Working on our route to Alaska in spring of 2017. Will be coming north out of Jasper and wondering if RT40 is a good choice?

On Google maps RT40 more or less goes north and south toward Dawson Creek which is the start of our journey across the Alaska Highway.

AAA Trip Ticks routed us from Banff back toward Edmonton. That seems like a lot of back tracking to me, especially if we are taking in the sights around Jasper, but having no idea what RT40 involves, maybe it is the best route to take?

We are traveling in a TC so gravel roads and or curves and hills should not be a problem. TIME is NOT an issue. We have about 5 & 1/2 months to explore the north country.

What say you experienced folks about RT #40, "good to go" or "better choose another route"?

Lakeside
11 REPLIES 11

johnwalkerpa1
Explorer
Explorer
We took it south on the way home from Alaska in 2015. Good road for the most part and nice scenery.

Do be aware of the truck traffic...much more than we saw on the Alaskan Highway but its all relative.

The thing to be aware of on this stretch of road is not so much the volume of truck traffic but of the many places where trucks are entering or leaving the highway...

PghBob
Explorer
Explorer
Took 40 in the summer of 2015 on our trek to Alaska. Beautiful road, in great condition, only a little traffic. Watch for trucks.

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't hesitate to go that way but you may want to go west a ways too at lest out to Mt Robson. I'd plan on staying along the 40 between Hinton and Grand Cache, I like Pierre Grays. The stretch between GC and Grande Prarie is pretty boring IMO
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

explorenorth
Explorer
Explorer
It's possible to spend a lot of time on Hwy 40 (a week would allow you to see the main sights), especially around Grande Cache. Although there are some beautiful parks between Hinton and Grande Cache as well, at least make a stop at the beautiful Visitor Information Centre on the right as your enter Grande Cache if you have even a few hours to spend exploring.
Murray

Whitehorse, Yukon
http://ExploreNorth.com/
and blogging at http://ExploreNorthBlog.com/
I live to travel, and travel to really live

answerswillvary
Explorer
Explorer
Moved from Roads and Routes to RVing in Canada.
2009 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QBP

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
Many thanks to all who have answered my post. As in the past, RV.net folks graciously answer my questions.

Lakeside

whatimmadoboutm
Explorer
Explorer
I travel the Hinton to Grande Cache portion of it often, and it's definitely on the narrow side. Some areas have little to no shoulder, and there can be a fair bit of commercial vehicle traffic. With that said, during daylight and good weather, it's definitely manageable. The area around Grande Cache is beautiful.

Also, there are several campsites along that stretch. Some are part of the Provincial park, and others are maintained by the local mill.

http://www.westfraser.com/responsibility/recreation/frma/campgrounds

lizzie
Explorer
Explorer
We used this route on our return from Alaska in 2013. It was a beautiful road.

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is a spectacular drive, be prepared to take your time to enjoy the scenery and wildlife. I have never seen so many deer and elk in my life.

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
Highway 40 from Hinton to Grande Prairie is a paved road all the way with no surprises for the RVer.

cruiserjs
Explorer
Explorer
Yes - rte. 40 is a good road. No reason to go all the way back to Edmonton!!
Colorado Cruiser
Cruiser CF29CK 5th wheel; 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD, 2wd, short bed
wonderful lifetime traveling companion/spouse