cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rv'ing out East

wanderinglolita
Explorer
Explorer
I have a fair amount of experience with my RV out West, but am looking to travel out East with it, and spend September until mid-November up in New England, then travel south along the Eastern Seaboard to warmer lands after that. I will not be travelling in the busy summertime. How feasible is it to find spots to camp, say in W. Mass, Vermont, Upstate NY, New Hampshire and Maine, and also hope to jump into NE Canada in the fall? I have a 24 foot A class, so not too big. I prefer parks and camping spots to RV Parks generally. Information on camping availability, ease of travel and such would be appreciated. I know of the difficulty of accessing big cities with a motorhome, and would be doing more 'country' driving. Trying to decide whether to do the trip this way, or with my car/hotel option; and would prefer to have my home on wheels, but don't want it to turn out to be a silly idea with a lot of hassles. Information on the camping trip south in mid-November would also be appreciated....are there a plethora of RVers in Florida in the wintertime? Thanks!
9 REPLIES 9

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Can't speak to the NE question but as you move south below the MD line many great state parks and COE camping is available but may require reservations to get spots. Avoid major cities at all cost and enjoy our beautiful countryside and forests. The interstate highways are not your friend. Seek out US highways and enjoy.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

BillMFl
Explorer
Explorer
We leave Maine in the first two weeks of Oct. It gets very chilly at night and remains quite cool in the day. After Labor Day the crowds are gone and Sept is our favorite month, usually sunny, dry and mild. Early Oct the leaves are at their peak all thru NE. Late Oct and Nov can be great below the Mason Dixon line but with the occasional cold front. I never worry about reservations after labor day, but call ahead before noon at my favorite locations.
Order is illusion. Chaos is reality. But right or wrong I'm still the captain. 🙂

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree that finding campgrounds in New England past mid-October is pretty hard. Expect some freezing temperatures at night and possibly during the days; you should be OK if your motorhome is equipped for subfreezing use with heated wet bays etc. Snows in October are certainly not unheard of—I remember one rather significant storm quite a few years ago on Columbus day weekend that caused minor havoc with the many leaf peeping tourists and tour busses going around.

Crossing into Canada is entirely doable provided you have the proper identification documents and other paperwork, don't have any banned items, etc. It is helpful, though certainly not at all essential, to have some understanding of French when traveling through Quebec province. A friendly attitude and a little creativity generally will bridge over the gaps sufficiently to get a good meal in a restaurant or whatever.

Germania
Explorer
Explorer
Caution lots of toll roads in the East, might be wise to look into EZ Pass, automated toll paying system that covers 95% of the eastern seaboard

Germania
Explorer
Explorer
Caution lots of toll roads in the East, might be wise to look into EZ Pass, automated toll paying system that covers 95% of the eastern seaboard

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
By the first of November, I would be down around Maryland/DC/Virginia. Better chance of finding open but empty RV parks.

Florida won't be too difficult if you stay north of Orlando or in the center of the state. You can always pick up days here and there in state parks.

Definitely hit the Everglades if you go that far south. The weather is wonderful and, when I was there in January, the campground was pretty empty.

As you head south, you might try Greenbelt Park (NPS) in Greenbelt, MD, about 10 miles from DC. No hookups, but very convenient. Assateague National Seashore is also great in November if you like the beach and don't mind no hookups.

In South Carolina, if you want to visit Charleston, try Buckhall Recreation Area. It has electric and water. The only problem might be getting space.

If you want to visit Savannah, you can stay in the Downtown Visitor Center Parking lot for 2 days for $12.

In Florida, you should be able to get a spot in Anastasia State Park for a few days if you want to visit St. Augustine.

Ocala National Forest has boondocking sites and quite a few campgrounds that should have space.

It sounds like a great trip!
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Aces High in East Lyme CT is open year round.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

wkswenson
Explorer
Explorer
Very few CG's left that stay open past Columbus Day now. And depending on the weather cycles, snow could be in the air...
Walter & Donna Swenson
2013 Cedar Creek 38FL - Front Living, Trail Air
2011 Dodge RAM 3500 6.7 CTD DRW CC LB
Our Website - "A Work in Progress"

gcloss
Explorer
Explorer
After Labor Day in the Northeast camping availability is not a real problem. The only issue you may have is that many camping friendly places close-up in October, many closing on Columbus Day. There are some that are open all year, but they are few and far between.
2012 Ram 2500 Big Horn Crew Cab 8' box
5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE