cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

San Franisco Bay to Post Falls Idaho in April

Tootall58
Explorer
Explorer
Planning a trip to Post Falls Idaho in April over our son's Spring Break. Live in San Francisco Bay Area and planning on taking I5 to 97 to 84 to 395 to 90 and into Post Falls. Looking for any recommendations on camp sites and road conditions, what to watch out for and possible alternative routes. Thanks
6 REPLIES 6

Redsky
Explorer
Explorer
That is the most boring route you can take. If you want something a lot more interesting go to Winnemucca, NV and then go north up Hwy 95. Vast difference in scenic aspects of the two routes. Even if you need to take the planned route north you owe it to yourselves to come back on Hwy 95 and actually see western Idaho.

My wife has family in Spokane and we live in Monterey. We we go to visit we fly up. In a few months we are heading to Glacier NP and will be taking the scenic route. But then whenever I drive south to Laguna Beach I take Hwy 101 and not I-5, Life is too short to spend it driving on highways with zero scenery when there are alternatives.

Tootall58
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for that great bit of info on 95 being scenic and historic. Not sure how much time we will have, so may save 95 for another time. Thank you Stephen,
Don

pfidahospud
Explorer
Explorer
For what it's worth, those from Idaho don't generally use Hwy 95 to get to the opposite ends of the state. It's quicker to go into Washington and use 395 / I84 or I90 / I15. In Idaho, Hwy 95 is scenic, slow, and historic, but doable with any rig.

faebrain
Explorer
Explorer
We've towed numerous times up 95 from 80 into Idaho. No issues, pretty good roads, only a couple grades nothing too serious. It is my preferred route when we go to northern Idaho.
2011 Ford F250 6.7 PSD Crewcab Lariat 4x4 (timbrens)
2015 Cougar 301SAB
Sold:2002 Ford F250 PSD CrewCab Lariat 4X4 (DP Tuner, plus other goodies!)
2008 Sundance 2890BHS 5Vr
Yamaha 2400iS

Tootall58
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the suggestions. Will definitely look at those campgrounds and will look at the possible route change to 95. Thanks again,
Tootall

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
You could also go up 95 and across. Two places first night I would suggest on 97 are Collier Memorial State park or Lapine state park. They are about 70 miles apart. Both offer unique experiences, and both are great parks. From either one post falls should be an easy day drive. If you want to go a bit farther first day, right on the Columbia river just off the bridge at Biggs is a nice Washington state park.