cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cal coast

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
Planning a trip from bc down i5 -exit west past Stockton through pacheo pass connect to Gilroy then Rv at coyote canyon Rv resort outside San Jose (or the Koa in Watsonville but we love quiet at night so not sure). We will use this as a base to leave the 5th and do daytrips sanfrancisco Santa Cruz Monterey - possibly down to Hearst castle. Sound good? 2weeks makes it busy but can't wait. Any tips from the locals? Was in that area 2 years ago and loved it.
6 REPLIES 6

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the great tips. Wonderful advice. Another question for anyone familiar with the coyote valley Rv park. I see train tracks across the street. Are these used and if so do trains run at night? We're light sleepers.

Thanks
Paul

Woops - found the answer in another review, trains are pretty frequent. I know this isn't uncommon for rv parks but it is something that will bother us greatly so on to searching some of the other great suggestions here.

Thanks Again,
Paul

Redsky
Explorer
Explorer
I would look for something around San Francisco for a base for day trips in this area and a second base in Monterey for Pt. Lobos to Santa Cruz and the Monterey aquarium, and a third at San Simeon State Park campground (Paso Robles wineries, elephant seals 8 miles north of town of San Simeon, Hearst Castle, Morro Bay).

A place that is overlooked in Monterey is the RV park at the Monterey County Fairgrounds which is blocks away for the downtown area and the beaches and the harbor and the wharves. It is also 5 minutes from Highway 1 to go south to Carmel and Pt. Lobos or to go north to Moss Landing and Santa Cruz.

Traffic on Highway 1 in Santa Cruz is usually terrible and best to avoid. I live 35 miles south on Hwy 1 and it can take 90 minutes or longer to get to downtown Santa Cruz any day of the week. Coming into the San Francisco bay area via Hwy 80 is where I would start the trip and take in the city, Golden Gate Park and the museums, Ferry Building, etc. and then down Hwy 101 to the Monterey area.

othertonka
Explorer
Explorer
Another choice, Betable RV Park on Hwy 101 near Gilroy.
Betabel RV
Othertonka
2004 Southwind 32VS 8.1 Workhorse chassis
2002 CRV Toad
U. S. Gear Unified brake system
Retired Fire Captain, SFD

MarshaNichols
Explorer
Explorer
I live in Salinas which is 20 minutes from the Monterey area. If you want to do this area, you might want to consider Laguna Seco Race Track...they have an RV park. Allow no less than 1 day in this area. The Aquarium is a must see, Carmel, Point Lobos. On Cannery Row there is a wonderful place for breakfast or lunch...Trailside Cafรฉ. When you go into San Jose, some friends are staying at the Coyote Valley RV Park/Resort...they really like it.
I "second" the suggestion of the Wine Country RV Park in Paso Robles...great place to park...do walk Paso...nice wineries and drive to the coast.

Feel free to send me a private message if you want other suggestions. I was raised in the Bay Area (Oakland-San Francisco) and lived in San Jose and Gilroy...anotherwords, I know this area!!

Marsha

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
We had a rally at Coyote Canyon and it is a nice park. Quite a day trip to Hearst Castle. Have you considered staying in Marin County and taking the ferry to San Francisco for day trips, then heading south? There is a campground with a shuttle to the ferry terminal a short distance away.

Paso Robles has the Wine Country RV park on Hwy.46. Maybe 45 minutes to Hearst Castle. Lots of wineries in the area. Morro Bay has several campgrounds and is a bit shorter to Hearst Castle.
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
KOA RV parks are outragious in price and are like a Disneyland Zoo!!! Look at the RV Park in San Juan Bautista as a home base.