cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TX Hwy 46 New Braunfels to Hwy 281?

navvets
Explorer
Explorer
Is this road okay for motorhome and toad? Want to go north on I-35 out of San Antonio and cross over to Hwy 281 North.
8 REPLIES 8

timandsusan
Explorer
Explorer
We drive up 281 to Denton to see the Gkids. Never get on I-35 and always skip Austin. Yes it adds about 40 miles to the trip but the road is great, lots of places to eat--with ample parking for rigs. Great BBQ in Stephenville at Hard 8 BBQ--a must stop for us heading north or south!

Fleet_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you need to go to New Braunfels, why not take 281 from San Antonio? Otherwise, 46 is good road, nothing to be concerned about.
2007 Winnebago Journey 34H
Toad, '08 Ford Taurus X
Blue OX, Aventa
US Gear UBS

navvets
Explorer
Explorer
TexasShadow wrote:
46 is partly 4 lane, but fine for MH travel. Use the loop to get around New Braunfels. 281 north is being worked on starting about 10 miles north of the 46 junction and the work area runs about 6 miles. There is a bit more road work a few miles futher north, but after you get to Blanco, it's clear sailing.

Thanks for the info...

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
46 is partly 4 lane, but fine for MH travel. Use the loop to get around New Braunfels. 281 north is being worked on starting about 10 miles north of the 46 junction and the work area runs about 6 miles. There is a bit more road work a few miles futher north, but after you get to Blanco, it's clear sailing.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

navvets
Explorer
Explorer
Okay thanks, just trying to avoid Austin, Waco, and Fort Worth areas...

VoodooMedicineM
Explorer
Explorer
4 lane
Bill and Joey the dog

navvets
Explorer
Explorer
Was just wanting to know about Hwy 46 fm new Braunfels over to 281. Is this road two or four lane?

VoodooMedicineM
Explorer
Explorer
281 is 4 lane divided. Where are you headed? I'm at Potters Creek now.
Bill and Joey the dog