cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sites in Missouri

Thumperpull
Explorer
Explorer
DW and I will be leaving St. Louis on 7/26 and want to see some iconic MO scenery between there and Branson heading back to Texas. The state parks look interesting. Any suggestions from ya'll as to where we might consider stopping a couple nights?
Mike and Catherine
2004 Thumper 261S
2002 GMC Yukon XL
8 REPLIES 8

Thumperpull
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to you all. After being on concrete for a week, a nice couple nights in a peaceful wood by a stream will be like heaven. Exactly what I'm looking for.
Mike and Catherine
2004 Thumper 261S
2002 GMC Yukon XL

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
I could give you several suggestions starting with Montauk State Park. A trout fishing park, but also, very pretty and will accommodate every sized rig. Down a bit farther are the springs parks, Round Springs and Alley Springs, both beautiful in their own right. Near by them is Rocky Falls, which is a day use area, but still very worth the seeing. And down 44 further, just south of Cassville is Roaring River State Park. A very pretty place, but again a trout fishing park. Hope this helps and offers a few new suggestions.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

Odessa_Grandma
Explorer
Explorer
And I would like to add that Maramec Springs is not at Meremac State Park. The springs are a trout fishing area and the park is privately operated. It is beautiful.
Grandma and Grandpa
MO
2017 Flagstaff Microlite 21FBRS
2015 Dodge Ram 1500

littlemo
Explorer
Explorer
If you go to Meramec State Park, don't expect to have a river view as we thought we would from looking at park map. There is heavy wooded area between sites and river and "thicket" is all you will see. We were very disappointed after driving all that way. Also avoid site 112 as it is a mud hole if it has been raining or rains while you are there, as are the other sites near it. It sits in a hole.
I agree with one of the previous posters that Johnson's Shut-In state park looks very interesting. Enjoy your trip back to Texas!

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
After Branson, going back to Texas, head down into Arkansas.

Missouri from Springfield across US-60 toward Oklahoma is not so scenic as what you will have just seen around Branson. Table Rock Lake is the highlight of south central Missouri, and you can follow the same lake chain on into NW Arkansas, Eureka Springs to Springdale.

As you approach I-540, it starts to get urban over there, it is a major retirement area, with agri-industry and Walmart adding to the development. So I guess over the decades since it was built, 540 had done what it was supposed to do, urbanize a depressed rural area in Arkansas. But once you get over that far, you've seen what there is to see, and you can get on the Interstate and be out of there.

Next patch of scenic country will be inside Oklahoma, just north of I-40, on Lake Tenkiller, two state parks and several COE campgrounds along the east side up toward Cookson, and beautiful little lake and park at Greenleaf Lake SP, west of Tenkiller on Oklahoma highway 10.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Bipeflier
Explorer
Explorer
Our favorite part of this beautiful state is the portion around the old lead mines and Mark Twain Forrest south and west of Desloge. Just take I-55 south from St. Louis then hit Hwy. 67 south.

St. Joe State Park near Park Hills or St. Francois SP north of there are both acceptable parks. There is also Johnson Shut-Ins SP a little further south. You might also consider Big Creek RV Park.

In that area you have Taum Saulk Mountain (highest point in Missouri), Ft. Davidson SHS, Elephant Rocks SP, Missouri Mines, and the very nice Arcadia Valley.

On your way south to US 60 to head towards Springfield, a stop in the Ozark Scenic Rivers area for a cool float trip or wade in the rivers would be a nice break.

There are many scenic roads in the area to enjoy also. Not knowing what you like it is difficult to recommend things but to us this area is the essence of Missouri.
2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

chevyman2
Explorer
Explorer
From St Louis going west on I-44 towards Branson. Take exit #203 (just past Cuba! at F& ZZ exit) go left, then left again on outer service rd (ROUTE 66) to a little town called Fanning (just a few miles) to see the worlds largest rocking chair. They have a very unique gift shop and indoor archery range. A lot farther west (almost to Springfield) is the big drive thru animal kingdom. (Yes they have a place to unhook your trailer).
If you have a lot of time, you can hit a Saturday nite race at I-44 Speedway near Lebanon (Sleeper exit)It is an asphalt track.

If you want, you can take the Six Flags exit (closer to St Louis) and go left, then right (on ROUTE 66) then follow the little blue "historic route 66 signs" all the way to Rolla. Then I think it picks up again somewhere and goes again. --- Just past Fenton (before Six Flags) you can visit "Route 66 State Park" -- Please check the website first. There may not be room for trailer parking!!!

Camping World is near Springfield. As mentioned Bass Pro Shops is in Springfield (Off Hwy 65 south--Sunshine St exit) Bass Pro Shops is also in Branson in the "LANDING" mall in old town Branson. You will want to visit "Dicks 5 & 10" when in Branson too.
Tim-DW(Kathy)
12 Chevy Sonic DD, 03 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE, 2001 Jayco KIWI
If a "nightmare" is considered a dream-then I am living the dream

Odessa_Grandma
Explorer
Explorer
Maramec springs is nice if you like nature. It is just outside St James mo also several local wineries in that area.

Bass pro headquarters in Soringfield has a museum that is worth stopping to see. Wonders of Wildlife Museum and Aquarium.
Grandma and Grandpa
MO
2017 Flagstaff Microlite 21FBRS
2015 Dodge Ram 1500