cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Southern California to Georgia in the Fall

HOOKUP
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking about a trip to my sister's place in Valdosta Ga. leaving in early October and returning to Ca in late November. Any thoughts about routes, weather and such at that time of the year? It is something we've promised my sister for years. Are we OK, or should we consider a different time of year to make this trip?
Al & Debbie
Scooter, Italian Greyhound/Basenji Mix
Maximus, Seal Point Siamesewww.flickr.com/birdiemama
2013 Newmar Baystar 3209
2005 Honda CRV Toad
7 REPLIES 7

lhenry8113
Explorer
Explorer
We did a similar trip in 2010. Used I 10 most of the way--wanted to stop in San Antonio, Galveston and New Orleans--than on to Fl. In LA. check out an RV Campground--Cajun Palms--loved that place. Outside of Mobile, Ala. there is a little campground--Shady Acres-family owned and clean, in Fort Stockton, Texas great campground--Fort Stockton RV Park. Keep in mind you will be stopped by Border Patrol. It was a fun trip and would definitely do it again. Lars
2017 Chev/CLass C Forest River Forester 2251 SLE

A Positive Attitude May Not Solve All Your Problems But It Will Annoy Enough People To Make It Worth The Effort.
H Albright

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
As a Good Sam member, if I were planning a trip like yours, I would get on the GS web page, go to the "Plan a Trip" menu, click on "Trip Planner," and put in my starting point and destination. The program will then draw the shortest Interstate route (most likely I-10). But, if you don't want to go the shortest route, you can also drag-and-drop an entirely new route or just displace part of the shortest route to an area you really want to visit.

Using "Search Near My Route," you can go out 15, 30, or 60 miles from that route, then click on "Things to Do" and "Campgrounds" to see everything available in the GS database within that swath of territory. Under "Things to Do" you might select "Festivals", "Picture Perfect," and "Small Town Gems" to find events, scenery, and picturesque villages to stop in along the way that you might miss without the Trip Planner. You may even find that you want to leave the Interstate for long, parallel distances of US or state highways just to be able to see more of these events/sights.

I have used this method for several years for routes as varied as Denver to Alaska in summer and Denver to the Texas Gulf Coast in winter. I don't always follow it as planned because I like a flexible schedule and route. But Trip Planner is a great starting point and an easy way to get a lot of information quickly on any route. And, although I am not a salesman for Good Sam, I really appreciated knowing that I had their Roadside Assistance on our 2013 Alaska trip.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
On the I-10 route Houston is not a problem except at rush hours. You do not need to go thru New Orleans. Expect some rough road sections on any route thru Louisiana. You pick up I-12 in Baton Rouge and get back on I-10 near Slidell. Any potential winter weather problems would be in the Arizona area; and someone in that area could help you on that.

moonlightrunner
Explorer
Explorer
What you failed to mention is if you want to be on the mile-a-minute interstates or if you want to be on the more relaxed US highways. Then there is the combination of both that you could take. What sights do you want to see along the way? All those states that you will be passing thru have online state tourism websites. Perhaps you need to visit a few of them. My goddaughter was telling me just the other day about the places they will stop and visit on their way back east. Did you know the Alamo was free? They will stop and see it. The it's down to Corpus to see the Lex and the beach (she has really missed the beach from when she was staying down there). Over to Houston on the roads near the beaches to see some big amusement park/Aquarium/garden type thing there and then onto I-10 for a little while before getting back on the beach front highways. They plan on staying in parking lots, "first night free" city/county parks, and use Passport America discount for private campgrounds every few nights. I looked at the route they were planning on taking (and they still plan on adding some more places to see) and the are wandering all over the lower parts of the states they are traveling thru. Very little straight shots from one place to another. Most of the sights they are wanting to see are either free to low cost or they have found "bundles" to lower the costs and add more places to see. They are doing this on a budget too. The internet is a wonderful thing for stuff like this.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
40 to Memphis and then 22 down to Birmingham

RamblinManGA
Explorer
Explorer
Hi from AZ. . .pretty much a straight shot on I-10 to Lake City, FL, then North on 75. Of course that drive would include 2 of my least favorite places to go anywhere near, Houston & Nawlins. You could veer off on I-20, which skirts DFW, but isn't bad. Then go down I-75 at Atlanta. (don't hit ATL at rush hour & you'll be fine ). Travel safely, Craig
Formerly 'Seahawk09'

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Let me consult my crystal ball. lol

Just pack up and go. Weather can't be predicted. As far as the the route I would head, um, east.

Good luck.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE