cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Taconic State Parkway _ FINES

yobuck185
Explorer
Explorer
So unfortunately I got a ticket on the Taconic State Parkway in NY last week. I foolishly listened to the campground directions instead of checking myself. DUMB! Apparently outside of NY and Rochester cities there are no fixed fines. You plead then they tell you what the fine is. Perhaps the most ridiculous and scam like thing I've heard of...at least recently. Has anyone had this issue and do they know what the penalties that they were assessed?
18 REPLIES 18

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Simple - Stay Off the Parkways when in NY.

Simpler - avoid NY - Really not a good solution as it is such a Beautiful State

Recently Stayed in Hamlin Beach State Park - Stayed off the Parkways with 11' arched overpasses.

Great little State Park - just looked at the map and stayed off the Parkways.

Only issue was the drive in and out on smaller two lane local roads - just take your time and you will be fine.

JMHO,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

yobuck185
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
RVhiker wrote:
Is a SUV a passenger car? How about a Jeep? Maybe a Honda Ridgeline? Maybe an old El Camino? Maybe a sedan towing a small trailer? How about a seven passenger van? Maybe a 15 passenger van?

Any of the above would be legal as long as they are registered as passenger vehicles and not commercial. If any of them are towing a trailer though, all bets are off. The same rule applies to nearly all NY State parkways.

The NY state parkway system is well represented online. Seems like a lot of articles and forums discussing it. If your interested check it out because they define exactly what "passenger vehicles" means. Pick up truck = good. Pick up truck with commercial plates = bad. #WTF

yobuck185
Explorer
Explorer
kohldad wrote:
Sorry for your headache. I think I would explain the situation about how a state employee told you to get on the parkway and beg for mercy on the court.

Was this Lake Taghkanic State Park by chance? They did the same thing to me but I refused to get on the parkway even though I only had to cross traffic and drive up a couple hundred feet. Only when I absolutely refused to get on the parkway explaining that I knew RVs weren't allowed, did the lady get frustrated enough with me and hand the phone off to a gentleman who quickly understood and gave me direction to the park which didn't include the parkway.

On hindsight, we spent so much time trying to get to the campground it would have been cheaper fuel wise to stay in a commercial campground or just stayed in a truck stop and paid their shower fee.

Private Campground. It was really nice but for future reference anything east of 87 is a nightmare to get to with a trailer or RV. If your going be sure to stay for awhile because its going to take you 2 hours to get from the highway to the campground.

yobuck185
Explorer
Explorer
fitznj wrote:
A friend of mine just got hit with the same "scam".
He got pulled over on the Taconic with his 16ft toy hauler.
Police would not tell him the fine unless he pled guilty;
Turned out to be $100.

I reached out to a friend who's a lawyer. I'm waiting to see what he says before I o anything. Thanks for the heads up. Your the first to actually have a similar story to relate to!

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
full_mosey wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:
RVhiker wrote:
Is a SUV a passenger car? How about a Jeep? Maybe a Honda Ridgeline? Maybe an old El Camino? Maybe a sedan towing a small trailer? How about a seven passenger van? Maybe a 15 passenger van?

Any of the above would be legal as long as they are registered as passenger vehicles and not commercial. If any of them are towing a trailer though, all bets are off. The same rule applies to nearly all NY State parkways.

That's your opinion, not a documented legislated, legal definition.

BTW, is there a turnaround opportunity after the sign? If not, it is even more a SCAM. Officers giving tickets are not Public Safety Officers, but Road Tax Collectors. I hope they are proud of their service, ha ha.

"That's your opinion, not a documented legislated, legal definition."

Tell that to those issuing the penalties. The fine and definitions are for real
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sorry for your headache. I think I would explain the situation about how a state employee told you to get on the parkway and beg for mercy on the court.

Was this Lake Taghkanic State Park by chance? They did the same thing to me but I refused to get on the parkway even though I only had to cross traffic and drive up a couple hundred feet. Only when I absolutely refused to get on the parkway explaining that I knew RVs weren't allowed, did the lady get frustrated enough with me and hand the phone off to a gentleman who quickly understood and gave me direction to the park which didn't include the parkway.

On hindsight, we spent so much time trying to get to the campground it would have been cheaper fuel wise to stay in a commercial campground or just stayed in a truck stop and paid their shower fee.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

full_mosey
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
RVhiker wrote:

That's your opinion, not a documented legislated, legal definition.

BTW, is there a turnaround opportunity after the sign? If not, it is even more a SCAM. Officers giving tickets are not Public Safety Officers, but Road Tax Collectors. I hope they are proud of their service, ha ha.

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
RVhiker wrote:

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

brooks379
Explorer
Explorer
I HAVE NO IDEA BUT I GOT A $250 PARKING TICKET IN NYC A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO AND I WAS PARKED ON SOME BACK STREET THAT 20 OTHER VICHEALS WERE PARKED ON. THEY WROTE THE TICKET AND STUCK IT IN THE DOOR HANDLE WHILE I WAS SLEEPING.

RVhiker
Explorer
Explorer
There's lots of advice and information in forums...
sometimes it is correct.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2008 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab; Duramax/Allison; Pullrite 14k Superglide Hitch

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
I've never understood what part of "Passenger Cars Only" on the Taconic Parkway entrance signs is ambiguous about what is allowed.

lol

full_mosey
Explorer
Explorer
NO:

pickups, vans...?

Cite/link the definition of a passenger car.

SCAM!

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've never understood what part of "Passenger Cars Only" on the Taconic Parkway entrance signs is ambiguous about what is allowed.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
A friend of mine just got hit with the same "scam".
He got pulled over on the Taconic with his 16ft toy hauler.
Police would not tell him the fine unless he pled guilty;
Turned out to be $100.
Gerry