cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tolls

outdoordb
Explorer
Explorer
Any one have an idea how much tolls I would expect to pay towing a double axel trailer from Baltimore to Cape Cod (95N)
10 REPLIES 10

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
2 Retired wrote:
You can avoid 95 going north by taking 301 in Md, missing all of DC, Baltimore area and taking the Chesapeake Bay Bridge to the Eastern Shore.

The OP trip STARTS in Baltimore. I was wrong above when I mentioned the Bay Bridge because that backtracks and adds 50-80 miles to the trip and unnecessary costs.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
You can avoid 95 going north by taking 301 in Md, missing all of DC, Baltimore area and taking the Chesapeake Bay Bridge to the Eastern Shore. From 301 we then take Rt 896 to I 295 to the Delaware Memorial Bridge, where we stay on 295 (NOT the NJ Turnpike) until picking up 95 by Trenton, NJ. (That is the NJ Turnpike). Take it to I 287 West to I 87/287 towards the Tappan Zee Bridge. You will miss the complete MESS that is NE Jersey and the NYC area going this way. Avoid taking I95 in this area at all costs! You could also go farther north on 87 and pick up I84 east
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

jergeod
Explorer
Explorer
If you have the time head to I81 to I88 to I90 get off on exit 24 and take freebee 90 back to I90 just before Mass. no tolls to this point, this will be a longer route with a little better scenery and about 619mi. You will have a short stretch of I90 NY then enter Mass. pike both toll roads, I think you will be under $25
if I remember right. I'm sure if I'm wrong someone will jump in.
George & Jerri
USMC VET
Jayco Eagle 339 flqs
upstate NY

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
We wanted to go to Dover AFB's Museum. So after leaving Andrews AFB - we went east.

Through New Jersey we took I-295 & I-195 to our stop at NavalWepSta Earle. Then headed around the Newark/ NYC area, we went over to I-287.

We could have taken I-287/87 over to I-95 - and that is likely your preferred route - but we wanted to go to West Point, and as I mentioned our destination was off of I-84.

(I-84 through Waterbury CT should still be a construction zone for another couple years - try to avoid it if possible).

For the New York Thruway and Tappan Zee Bridge - your vehicle should be a 4H and the toll should be $12.38 as long as you don't cross the bridge between 6:15 and 9:45 AM. Higher tolls in those hours. That toll is collected one-way only - eastbound/ southbound.

From Baltimore, you don't want to go all the way west to I-81, but you could take I-83 north to Harrisburg, I-78 over to I-287 and around the north of NYC to I-95 at Port Chester.

The I-95 route is about 425 miles from downtown Baltimore to the Cape Cod Canal. The I-83 / I-78 / I-287 / I-95 route is about 495 miles. So approx 70 miles (say 1 hour and 15 minutes) longer and puts you north of most of the NYC traffic.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab

outdoordb
Explorer
Explorer
How do you avoid 95 to go north

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
Ewww. I avoid towing on 95 at all expense. My old tolls calculated to be like $80 or more round trip from RI to VA. I take 287/87/78/81
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Which route.

EZ Pass a year ago for the Maryland Bay Bridge was $18 for a two axle trailer pulled by a two axle pickup. DE-1 was $9 and the Newburgh-Beacon Bridge across the Hudson was $3.05 for the same towing configuration. The two bridges were east bound tolls only. We avoided all the other toll roads by going farther north (and our destination was in CT just off I-84).

The Delaware Memorial Bridge toll is $10 for a two axle trailer - but that is collected west bound only, not east bound.

However on an overnight trip to Newark (don't ask) - we spent $7.20 on the NJ Turnpike and $12.50 to cross the George Washington Bridge / I-95 (bridge again an east-bound only toll) for a passenger car. For a two axle trailer - it would be a whopping $72 or $31.50 depending upon details of their rules.

A quick check shows the NJ Turnpike from the Delaware Bridge to the GW Bridge would be $39 one-way for the trip for a two axle trailer. Plus the GW Bridge toll.

So with EZ-Pass - bridges only if you take I-95 to the DE bridge:
Min - $3.05 + $10 = $13.05
Max - $72.00 + $10 = $82.00

NJT - $39 each way
Full-Time 2014 - ????

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab

outdoordb
Explorer
Explorer
I already have an EZPass. I'm not sure on the discounts, here in MD you only get them if you are a daily commuter

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Recommend you get an EZ Pass, or iPass, it makes life so much easier being able to roll through the toll booths with a transponder. In addition to the convenience factor you get a discount on the tolls...
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

Greydennyhawk
Explorer
Explorer
I think that there are specific web sites for the highways that you plan to use.
In NY, on the Thruway site, there is a toll calculator. You enter your axles and it figures out the costs.
Denny, Rosie and Josie the Beagle
2016 Allegro 36 LA
2016 Mazda 3