Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TRAFFIC ALERT: I-80 westbound closed over Donner Pass

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
Due to snowstorm.

RENO, Nev. (MyNews4.com & KRNV) -- Interstate 80 westbound is closed at Donner Pass due to wintry driving conditions.

According to Nevada Highway Patrol Trooper Dan Lopez, the number of spin-outs vehicles were experiencing necessitated closure of the road. He did not tell News 4 when he expected the road to reopen.

Chains are required on all vehicles except four-wheel drive vehicles with snow tires on all four wheels from Nyack (Placer County) to the Donner Lake interchange.

Eastbound trucks are being screened at Applegate (Placer County) and drivers must have maximum chains in their possession in order to proceed. Permit loads are prohibited. Westbound trucks are being screened at Prosser Rd. in Truckee. Drivers must have maximum chains in their possession in order to proceed.

Link
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel
16 REPLIES 16

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some years ago I was trying to get to a trailhead north of I80 in mid May. After successfully passing through several late season snow drifts, I tried one that was too deep for my RAV4, and ended up spinning 3 tires. Fortunately a taller pickup came along and pulled me on through. But then I had to work my way back out. While embarrassing, it was also a good learning experience.

SRT
Explorer
Explorer
jmtandem wrote:
Yep and the fact that 80 closes in storms on a regular basis because people think they can drive 65 because they have all wheel drive. They don't have all wheel STOP when the roads are snow covered.
But what do we know jmtandem, we just live here in the area.

Yup, a lot of folks don't understand that a four wheel drive or all wheel drive vehicle does not stop any better than a two wheel drive vehicle. Some learn that in the snowbank on the side of the road waiting for a tow.

Actually it allows them to go deeper into the snow banks.....:B We see the same here. Our main driver is a Subaru Tribeca with Bridgstone Blizzaks on all four wheels (separate summer tires and wheels)in the winter. I have to exercise control over the right foot to restrain itself as the Tribeca is really surefooted in the snow.

MarshaNichols
Explorer
Explorer
Oh my, the arguments gave me a headache...the Donner Pass was closed...period!

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep and the fact that 80 closes in storms on a regular basis because people think they can drive 65 because they have all wheel drive. They don't have all wheel STOP when the roads are snow covered.
But what do we know jmtandem, we just live here in the area.

Yup, a lot of folks don't understand that a four wheel drive or all wheel drive vehicle does not stop any better than a two wheel drive vehicle. Some learn that in the snowbank on the side of the road waiting for a tow.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

Litch
Explorer
Explorer
jmtandem wrote:
The CHP did share the conditions. The OP just happened to get the info from a Nevada source. You can bet when I-80 closes at Donner Summit(especially on a Friday!) that thousands of people in Reno are paying attention. Lots of Reno bound money gets stuck on the wrong side of that closure.

This thread is going to a strange conclusion. The westbound lanes were closed not the eastbound lanes. Those coming from California to Nevada were on the eastbound lanes. But, now both directions are open and free flowing so the whole thing is sort of moot.

But what do we know jmtandem, we just live here in the area. 🙂
2006 Chevy HD LBZ Duramax/Allison
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 30sks

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
If they only closed westbound than that means the other could close at any time. Either way it's news in Reno more so than it is in California.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
The CHP did share the conditions. The OP just happened to get the info from a Nevada source. You can bet when I-80 closes at Donner Summit(especially on a Friday!) that thousands of people in Reno are paying attention. Lots of Reno bound money gets stuck on the wrong side of that closure.

This thread is going to a strange conclusion. The westbound lanes were closed not the eastbound lanes. Those coming from California to Nevada were on the eastbound lanes. But, now both directions are open and free flowing so the whole thing is sort of moot.

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't I wish that Eastern CA was annexed by Nevada!! All our sales tax dollars go there anyway.

You are not alone. Lots of folks from Susanville to Bishop often feel more linked to Nevada than California.

I guess my original comment was that since this road is in California and not Nevada and the chain restrictions don't begin until 25 miles into California and there is no snow in Reno that the CHP might be the ones to share the information to the media on the road conditions. It has nothing to do with where cars get serviced or folks cross the line to eat, etc. The official information I would think would come from the state the road is in, not a neighboring state that is not seeing snow on their portion of IR 80. But, what do I know anyway?

The best information I have found is on the Caltrans website 'California highway conditions' and then click on the road you are interested in and/or you can look at live cams on Donner summit also through this website. It is much more timely than a radio station announcement. I travel IR 80 to Truckee and sometimes Sacramento once a week and their website is the place to get information.

Litch
Explorer
Explorer
jmtandem wrote:
But the news link is for a Reno station. The pass is only 30 miles from the border. Whether they are on scene or not, the Nevada State Patrol should be well aware of what is happening over the pass.

http://www.nvroads.com/icx/pages/incidentlist.aspx wrote:

There is a conditions related event (Chains Required, All Vehicles Except 4-Wheel Drive with Snow Tires) on I-80 from mile post 53.4 in Placer County to mile post 14.2 in Nevada County in Nevada.

For a second there I thought Nevada annexed some of eastern California. Still reads like that as Nevada County is not in Nevada but in California, or at least it was before the annexation. And the California Highway Patrol cannot speak to their summit conditions on their interstate route over Donner...........??????

Don't I wish that Eastern CA was annexed by Nevada!! All our sales tax dollars go there anyway.
2006 Chevy HD LBZ Duramax/Allison
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 30sks

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
Us out West wrote:
Due to snowstorm.

RENO, Nev. (MyNews4.com & KRNV) -- Interstate 80 westbound is closed at Donner Pass due to wintry driving conditions.

According to Nevada Highway Patrol Trooper Dan Lopez, the number of spin-outs vehicles were experiencing necessitated closure of the road. He did not tell News 4 when he expected the road to reopen.

Chains are required on all vehicles except four-wheel drive vehicles with snow tires on all four wheels from Nyack (Placer County) to the Donner Lake interchange.

Eastbound trucks are being screened at Applegate (Placer County) and drivers must have maximum chains in their possession in order to proceed. Permit loads are prohibited. Westbound trucks are being screened at Prosser Rd. in Truckee. Drivers must have maximum chains in their possession in order to proceed.

Link

CHP is reporting that I-80 westbound is now open...with restrictions.

Original link has the update.
Our Trip Journal

MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen both CHP and NHP on both sides of the state border.

The other day was at a Chev dealer here in Reno getting an oil filter and fuel filter change and there was a CHP officer also in the waiting area...not strange to see in town.
Our Trip Journal

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
If the Interstate is closed due to winter conditions does it really matter which side of a state line it is when any traffic attempting to continue on that route will be stopped?
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
But the news link is for a Reno station. The pass is only 30 miles from the border. Whether they are on scene or not, the Nevada State Patrol should be well aware of what is happening over the pass.

http://www.nvroads.com/icx/pages/incidentlist.aspx wrote:

There is a conditions related event (Chains Required, All Vehicles Except 4-Wheel Drive with Snow Tires) on I-80 from mile post 53.4 in Placer County to mile post 14.2 in Nevada County in Nevada.

For a second there I thought Nevada annexed some of eastern California. Still reads like that as Nevada County is not in Nevada but in California, or at least it was before the annexation. And the California Highway Patrol cannot speak to their summit conditions on their interstate route over Donner...........??????