cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Travel thru West Va to Bowling Green to Nashville

BillMFl
Explorer
Explorer
Leaving Maine next week for Nashville. Thinking about using I81 south to I70 at Hagerstown to I68 in W Va on to I79 to Charleston then I64 to I65 to Bowling Green then on to Nashville. I have not driven this route before. Usually go down I81 to I40. Are there any serious issues thru W Va etc. Traveling in a 38' V10 Class A. All interstate but how are road conditions, etc? I expect heavier traffic than usual on I81 because of I95 flooding. Would like to try this new route and expect some mountains in W Va. Thanks for any info!
Order is illusion. Chaos is reality. But right or wrong I'm still the captain. ๐Ÿ™‚
6 REPLIES 6

BillMFl
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for the replies much appreciated!
Order is illusion. Chaos is reality. But right or wrong I'm still the captain. ๐Ÿ™‚

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
We drove the I-70, I-68, I-79 route to I-64 and then I-64 to St. Louis in late August. I don't recall any real problems. We have driven this route a number of times and never had any real issues. When driving that great a distance, there are going to be some construction areas somewhere along the route. It has been a couple of years, but we have taken the Bluegrass Parkway several times between I-64 and I-65 it saves some miles and was good road.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
OK, my experience is several years old and it does involve a couple of different trips, but I have driven over that route from Hancock, MD all the way to Nashville--that is I-79 to I-64 to Lexington, KY. One of the nice park we stayed in was Stonewall Jackson State Park in West Virginia.

I took the Bluegrass Parkway from Lexington to Elizabethtown so I did not follow I-64 on to Louisville. Picked up I-65 in Elizabethtown.

This was not all in one trip, but every mile I have described above; and some in reverse direction, but every mile.

I cannot recall any issue with regard to towing a 34' fifth-wheel and I would have no hesitation to follow this route again.

BillMFl
Explorer
Explorer
so nobody has driven this route lately?????

BillMFl
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:
You can check the TDOT website for current info on construction, incidents, etc. There has been some construction on I-65 but I'm not sure of the status.

TDOT SMARTMAP

Thanks but TDOT only covers the last few miles approaching Nashville. Would like to hear from anyone who has driven thru W Va and Kentucky on the route I posted.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
You can check the TDOT website for current info on construction, incidents, etc. There has been some construction on I-65 but I'm not sure of the status.

TDOT SMARTMAP
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board