cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trip Suggestions for Northern CA

Not_a_Clue
Explorer
Explorer
I am starting to plan our two week vacation for next year, starting on Memorial Weekend.

We are going to check out the Redwoods for sure and would like some other ideas on places to stop and check out. Also a route to take.

We will probably go as far North as Grants Pass in Oregon and work our way back as far as SF. We are interested mostly in the area north of SF, the Redwoods.

Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks
Linda B.
Our Blog
2009 29' Fleetwood, Fiesta V10 - The Little Bus
2008 Saturn Vue (Toad)with US Gear UBS
& Demco baseplate and tow bar.
FMCA# F412985
Traveling with Robin(friend)& Buddee(cavalier)
13 REPLIES 13

Not_a_Clue
Explorer
Explorer
Marv Hoag wrote:
If you highball it from SoCal to Grants pass on I-5, you can do it in 2 long days. Several parks in Grants pass. Then take Hwy 199 to Crescent city. Down 101 to Klamath where there are a few RV parks to choose from. Do a little exploring around Klamath (some neat picnic areas overlooking the ocean). Take the Saturn and hike Fern Canyon (Google it, easy and pretty).If you want to treat yourself to dinner, there're several nice places in and around Eureka. Take 101 south to Avenue of the Giants. Ancient Redwoods RV park is a good home base for the many groves of redwoods located in this area. Stay at the KOA in Willits and take the Saturn over to Ft Bragg for the day.

After all that, time to head for home, your 2 weeks are running out.

This looks like a pretty good idea of what I had in mind with a couple of variations. How is Hwy 12 from San Rosa on the 101 to the I5? We looking to take a drive through the Napa, wine country area.
Linda B.
Our Blog
FMCA# F412985

fireman93514
Explorer
Explorer
Oregon caves and crater lake are worth a look also.
John & Judy
2007 Winnebago Access 31C
2008 Ford Focus

Marv_Hoag
Explorer
Explorer
If you highball it from SoCal to Grants pass on I-5, you can do it in 2 long days. Several parks in Grants pass. Then take Hwy 199 to Crescent city. Down 101 to Klamath where there are a few RV parks to choose from. Do a little exploring around Klamath (some neat picnic areas overlooking the ocean). Take the Saturn and hike Fern Canyon (Google it, easy and pretty).If you want to treat yourself to dinner, there're several nice places in and around Eureka. Take 101 south to Avenue of the Giants. Ancient Redwoods RV park is a good home base for the many groves of redwoods located in this area. Stay at the KOA in Willits and take the Saturn over to Ft Bragg for the day.

After all that, time to head for home, your 2 weeks are running out.
2000 Monaco Windsor 40
2009 Honda Fit Sport
2012 Chevrolet Equinox

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
In Crescent City, take a tour of the lighthouse. After being taken out of service, it was about to be torn down. The city stepped in to purchase the lighthouse and open it for public tours. Note: tours are available only at low tide, which of course varies from one day to the next.

They make some great cheeses in Crescent City. Ask any local about the cheese factory. I like their dry Jack.

PUCampin
Explorer
Explorer
If you like exploring caves you could check out Lava Beds National Monument. In the Northeast corner of CA about an hour South of Klamath Falls. 22 developed caves and over 700 discovered caves throughout the park. You can take one of a couple guided tours, but in general most of the caves are open to be freely explored. The developed ones are well marked, easilly accessable and some have self guided tours. Bring your hard hat and flashlights or check them out from the visitor center.

There is a 43 site dry camping campground within the park, first come first served. RVs to 35ft OK, longer may have dificulty navigating the road. The campground host may be able to provide guidance to what sites can accomodate longer RVs There is also camping at medicine lake.

Google "Lava Beds National Monument" The nps has a very informative website.

I have been here a couple times when I was a kid and loved it, highly recommend you go at least once!
2007 Expedition EL 4x4 Tow pkg
1981 Palomino Pony, the PopUp = PUCampin! (Sold)
2006 Pioneer 180CK = (No more PUcampin!):B

Me:B DW:) and the 3 in 3 :E
DD:B 2006, DS ๐Ÿ˜› 2007, DD :C 2008

Not_a_Clue
Explorer
Explorer
We love the outdoors and road trips. Any campgrounds to go along with these great ideas?
Linda B.
Our Blog
FMCA# F412985

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
You didn't say whether you like nature or active sports or shopping or ???, but our state tourist bureau has something for everyone. You can download some materials and they will mail you others.

http://www.visitcalifornia.com/

Some of my personal recommendations: Lassen Volcanic National Park, Glass Beach at Fort Bragg, the Redwoods in various national and state parks, Trinidad (scenic little beach town), Mendocino (scenic artsy beach town).
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
If you want to see one of the prettiest waterfalls in the US, check out Burney Falls.
Burney falls visit 2012

Not_a_Clue
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the ideas, keep them coming.
Linda B.
Our Blog
FMCA# F412985

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
I always recommend doing a Google search for `____ tourism' and put the town, area, or whatever, in the blank space and read what the experts recommend for their area.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Chevytrkr
Explorer
Explorer
Don't pass up the Avenue of the Giants south of Eureka. We stayed at Ancient Redwoods RV Park and loved it. We plan on going back next month. Ferndale is not far away from here.
Rich & Anne
SW Louisiana

2014 Fleetwood Storm 28F
2013 Fiat 500 Pop

rctour
Explorer
Explorer
We were in that area in April, up part of the coast to Washington then east.

One of our favorite places, we used to fly our airplane into often, is Shelter Cove. It's remote, nice homes, a little golf course, couple of restaurants, mini mart/store and marginal RV park. I could live there but my wife thinks it's too remote, and it is.

If you are super adventurous there are RV site on the ocean just a few miles above Shelter Cove, but we are too tall and long for that trek.

We avoided most of hwy 1 for hwy 101. You are shorter so I guess it wouldn't be such a strain for you, too much for me.

I really like Shelter Cove!
2017.5 Lance 2295
2021 Silverado Duramax

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
In Fort Bragg or Willits California be sure to check out the Skunk Railroad. It's fun to take a trip on the train or skunk cars between the two cities. Lots of beautiful scenery and logging history.

http://westportbeachrvpark.com/ is right on the beach or nearby Wages Creek Campground is even better. Very beautiful area of coastline. http://www.skunktrain.com/

In Occidental, Ca. the family style dinner at Negri's Original Italian restaurant is great...the Apple Fritters are unbelievably good.

Bodega Bay is a quaint coastal town lots of shops and places to eat.

Be sure to stop at all of the tourist traps just for laughs like the Trees of Mystery http://treesofmystery.net/ or Confusion Hill http://www.confusionhill.com/ or now closed but still somewhat visible Hobbiton USA based on the Hobbit Characters. No website and it's near the end of the Redwood Highway.

It's actually hard not to find something to see North of San Francisco. Very beautiful scenery, lots of hiking trails, rivers and creeks, wild Blackberries in August growing by the side of the road....