cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trip to Death Valley National Park from Illinois

marybethmc
Explorer
Explorer
Any suggestions on travel to Death Valley. We are driving a 35 ft class A. Leaving Illinois last week in August. Are there any private campgrounds near the area with electricity and water? I know it will be hot there and would not want to rely on my generator to keep my coach cool.

Also are there any challenging roads we will encounter coming to that area?

Thanks Marybeth McGreevy
23 REPLIES 23

marybethmc
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all your suggestions. I think we will postpone Death Valley till April. I am sure everything would be taxed including us.

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Gonna need a bigger AC.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
You really might want to re-think those plans. Anything short of winter in Ill. is going to equal 100+ in Death Valley. Theres a reason the snow birds flock to DV in WINTER... because its the only time tolerable
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
beware! because it will be so hot that your a/c won't be able to cool it down enough to be anywhere near comfortable, and there is no shade in the rv parks to help keep the skin of your rig cooler. the inside of your rig will be in the high nineties with your a/c going strong and hard.

I strongly suggest you look for an rv park in Pahrump NV and then make one or two day trips down into the park. Take an ice chest full of ice and water and other drinks.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Usually have their little restaurant open too, wgriswold.

"10 Full-hookup Sites (30 and 50 amp): $35.00 per night
Electricity, water, and sewer hookup for each site. All sites have fire pits and picnic tables
***Be advised: Our electricity is produced by a diesel generator and the power is not as clean as line power. Some new RVs may have issues with our electricity."
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wgriswold
Explorer
Explorer
If I were to visit Death Valley in August (I wouldn't) I would stay in Panamint Springs Resort. It is about 20 miles west of Stovepipe Wells and 15 degrees cooler. It is rustic. There is one fairly steep pass on the road between Stovepipe and Panamint but the decrease in temp is worth it.

Stovepipe Wells has about 15 full hookup sites.

I would want reservations at either place.
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 Laramie
Arctic Fox 25Y

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
You could not pay me to go there in Aug or anytime other than winter. Death V is usually the hottest place in the nation during the summer
samsontdog:o:W

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hot there? Today's anticipated temperature at Stovepipe Wells is 115 degrees and 116 at Furnance Creek. BUT its a dry heat.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
That's quite a drive, should be fun. Hot is an understatement. It was hot when I went there for Christmas - I can't imagine how it would feel in August.

If you don't like mountains, I think I 40 does it's best to avoid them. I 80 or I 90 West out of Illinois hits a lot of mountains once you reach Colorado or Wyoming. I 40 to eventually I 10. It's going to be very hot along the entire drive, so make sure your on board systems are ready to work pretty much non stop.

As far as parks in Death Valley, it's a big place. When I think Death Valley, I think Furnace Creek. There's a small RV resort there, privately run. It's next to the National Park campground which has no hookups, but is also very nice.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed