cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Utah Roads For Class A

Burghere
Explorer
Explorer
We're heading to Utah this Sept. and Oct. and are concerned about driving on the mountain roads with a class A diesel pulling a toad. I have the Mountain Directory which lists the roads and grades but I'd like to get some first hand experience from others on our planned route.

Cisco to Moab via Rt. 128

Moab to Blanding via U.S. 191

Blanding to Torrey via Rts. 191, then 95N, then 24W

Torrey to Escalante to Bryce via Rt. 12

Bryce to Zion via Rt. 12, U.S 89, Rt.9

Zion to St. George via Rt. 9

Gary & Kathy Burger
2002 40ft Monaco Windsor
Des Moines, Iowa
2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Demco Tow Bar/Base

18 REPLIES 18

TundraTower
Explorer
Explorer
One more thing.

Blanding is only 70 miles from Monument Valley. We saw all the national parks except Zion, but Monument Valley was the most spectacular of all in my opinion, and the setting for Gouldings RV campground in a box canyon is unbelievable.

If possible, you should consider a 24 hour side trip to see this.

If you do, there is an 11% grade about half a mile south of Bluff called Drive Shaft Hill. Only about half a mile in length, but intense.
2013 Tundra, 5.7FF, TRD, 4WD, tow pkg
2014 Forest River Cherokee 264
Prodigy II / Equalizer 10K
103 nights & 12,700 miles since April '13

TundraTower
Explorer
Explorer
We did a 1200 mile loop from Santa Fe thru Utah and back to SF 2 months ago that covered most of your routes -- in a Tundra pulling a 32' TT.

Utah does an outstanding job of marking down grades with the % incline and just enough notice to downshift. Anything more than 8% for sure we went down in first with the flashers on and didn't have to use the brakes.

Be aware that this is very desolate country, especially in regard to fuel stops. The stretch from Blanding to Hanksville via Scenic 95 is one of the most gorgeous drives we've ever seen, but it is 144 miles between service stations and I don't think we saw 8 vehicles in that stretch. Plan a picnic or snack on the runway overlooking the bridge at Lake Powell - first left after the bridge if N bound.

We camped at Torrey and made a day trip to Bryce. Went down Scenic 12 which was beautiful but took over 3 hours to travel 100 miles, including a 10 minute stop for the cows to get off the road. We came back to Torrey via 89/62/24 which is not as scenic but a good road thru the country (and takes you past the only real grocery store in probably 100 miles at Lola).

Blanding and Torrey were especially nice towns. A bit Quirky, but very nice, neat, and friendly. We wished we could have stayed longer at both. Blanding has a first class dinosaur museum just a block off 191.

This was the best trip we've ever taken. Take your time and enjoy, but know where your fuel stops are. We found lots of stations closed and deserted, so plan your fuel stops where there are at least 2 stations.
2013 Tundra, 5.7FF, TRD, 4WD, tow pkg
2014 Forest River Cherokee 264
Prodigy II / Equalizer 10K
103 nights & 12,700 miles since April '13

Burghere
Explorer
Explorer
I really appreciate all the feedback on my planned trip to Utah. I was concerned about driving mountains on the route I put together. By the way, I put it together based on the Utah vacation brochures I have been receiving for the last 2 months. If anyone has any suggestions for a better route please let me know. Once again, here is the route:

From St. George we'll probably head to Las Vegas then to the Grand Canyon.

Gary

Gary & Kathy Burger
2002 40ft Monaco Windsor
Des Moines, Iowa
2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Demco Tow Bar/Base

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
You want to avoid the "Moki" and check on the tunnel at Zion.

Other than that, roads is roads. Just do it!

The only way anybody becomes comfortable in the mountains is by driving in the mountains. Take it easy. Don't let anybody rush you. Enjoy some beautiful country.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
Burghere wrote:
We're heading to Utah this Sept. and Oct. and are concerned about driving on the mountain roads with a class A diesel pulling a toad. I have the Mountain Directory which lists the roads and grades but I'd like to get some first hand experience from others on our planned route.

I've done most of your intended route and you should have no real problems driving it. You'll have to check about the restriction on rigs going through Zion's tunnel and there is a fee for oversize rigs.

Just a question on my part, are you driving this route because of Mountain Directory or you just want to go this way?
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
jolooote wrote:
Been all over Utah several times. The ONLY road you need to be aware of is Rt.261 between Mexican Hat & Natural Bridges. There is one small area that may not be shown on some maps. Its called the Moki Dugway Switchbacks. The nice hyway suddenly turns into a, narrow in spots, dirt road for about 2 miles while it climbs up a very steep mesa wall.

if you zoom in in streets and trips that section is clearly shown. drove up it hugging the rock wall side. the mountain directory grossly under states it IMHO. also in google earth.
bumpy

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
Been all over Utah several times. The ONLY road you need to be aware of is Rt.261 between Mexican Hat & Natural Bridges. There is one small area that may not be shown on some maps. Its called the Moki Dugway Switchbacks. The nice hyway suddenly turns into a, narrow in spots, dirt road for about 2 miles while it climbs up a very steep mesa wall. Don't worry about Rt.12. Its a beautiful drive. The Hogsback section has plenty of room. The only road in the USA that gives me the 'willeys' is the Million dollar hyway Rt.550 in Colorado & a short section of the park road atop Crater lake.
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"

harley-dave
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think its the lack of guard rails that's the problem. The problem is that the ground on both sides of the road disappears from view and its a long way down on BOTH sides that bothers people. try going over that on a harley sometime. Tends to mess with your sense of balance a little not being able to see dirt on either side.

Dave
2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special
1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4X4
SKP # 121272

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
I am cautious:E

I have never towed over US 550 between Silverton and Ouray

I have never towed over Slumgullion Pass into or out of Lake City, CO.

BUT . . . I HAVE towed Utah 12 from Bryce to Torry and never had a moment of concern. I would choose to follow that route again if I were back in the area. I consider it one of my favorite roads in the USA.

dave54
Nomad
Nomad
Why do so many people get all white-knuckled on UT12?

It is a better road than all of the dirt roads I put my rig on, and UT12 is paved. So what if there are no guard rails on the hogsback section? You have driven on similar roads and not hit the guard rail, so why worry about it here?

Is it some psychological safety blanket to see a guardrail along the edge? Would you drive any differently if one were in place?
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
We towed on all of those roads last Sept/Oct except 128 and 9. We drove both and they are doable, but 128 is a bit tight in places. May want to just do 128 with the toad. Some people say 12 is bad, but we loved it. You will too. The 'cliff' section is only a mile long and 35 MPH. October weather is chilly. Was in the 20's or 30's every night in Torrey the 2nd week of October when we were there.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Restrictions for the Zion-Mt. Carmel tunnel. Scroll down and check the Prohibited Vehicles section to make sure you are OK.

Pictures of the hogsback section on UT-12. If you can keep the tires on the pavement on other 2 lane roads, you will be OK. No one drives fast on this 1/4 mile section.

2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450๐Ÿ™‚

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've done all of those multiple times in our 40' Endeavor towing our Wrangler. No real issues on any of those roads. Yes, there are some relatively steep grades but nothing to get your panties in a wad about. Only real comments are on 128 and 12. 128 is a bit narrow and twisty along the river. Mostly depends on the idiot coming the opposite driving way too fast. There has been much discussion and debate about 12. Lots of white knuckled reports and never again statements on this forum. Yes, there are some places where you could drive off the edge and make an ugly splat way down below, but the views are worth it. I would rather drive 12 than 128 in my bus. I've even been known to go out of my way to drive 12 between Torrey and Escalante.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I picked up a Motor Carriers' Road Atlas at a truck stop. It's invaluable when I get off the Interstate. I figure if the trucker's aren't using a certain road then I won't either.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE