cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wa 14 or I-84

Bigdog
Explorer
Explorer
Heading over to Crowe Butte Park in Paterson in a couple of weeks and would like to take the route that has the least hills as I'm having some problems with the engine and Cat says to run it anyway as it has to be replaced soon. She runs ok on level or small hills, but doesn't like hard pulls.
I do know that if I take I-84 and cut over at Maryhill, I have that nasty hill up from the river, but I can't remember how much up and down there is on 14.
GO COUGARS
2001 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
330 Cat Turbo Freightliner Chassis
2011 Jeep Liberty(toad)

'88 Mustang 5 Spd 5.0L GT convertible (not Toad)
5 REPLIES 5

Bigdog
Explorer
Explorer
N7SJN wrote:
I would avoid 97 out of Biggs. 14 has a lot of ups and downs but none of them compare to the Maryhill grade. Retired commercial bus driver and have experience on both sides of the river.

Also retired bus driver. School bus for 15 years after 31 years as an industrial laundry driver. Did a bit of charter bus moonlighting tho.

Thanks guys.
GO COUGARS
2001 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
330 Cat Turbo Freightliner Chassis
2011 Jeep Liberty(toad)

'88 Mustang 5 Spd 5.0L GT convertible (not Toad)

Murphsmom
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
I-84 will have less climbs and less curves.
You may want to come all the way to Umattila and double back on WA 14

X2

N7SJN
Explorer
Explorer
I would avoid 97 out of Biggs. 14 has a lot of ups and downs but none of them compare to the Maryhill grade. Retired commercial bus driver and have experience on both sides of the river.

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to assume that you are going to Crow Butte from Silverdale, not somewhere else. I would say that 14 would be the easiest on your rig, only large grade is at the aluminum plant, and going east it is downhill. Most of 14 east of the 97 bridge is slow up and downs, no large hills. 84 really isn't much different, just a couple of pulls, none extreme.

Can't think of any direction to send you on the way west back home if that is the next leg!! I think the hill by the aluminum plant is somewhat easier than the climb up from the river on 97.
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I-84 will have less climbs and less curves.
You may want to come all the way to Umattila and double back on WA 14

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker