cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Waco Texas to Davis Mountains State Park

Isobar
Explorer
Explorer
We are going to be headed to Davis Mountain State Park from Waco Tx in early March.

Any advice for the route we should take?

Which of these two would you recommend?

1. US 84 to State 16 to US 190 to IH 10 (Waco, Goldthwaite, San Saba, Brady, Iraan, Fort Stockton, Davis Mountains)

or

2. US 84 to State 16 to US 190 to US 277 to IH 10. (Waco, Goldthwaite, San Saba, Eldorado, Sonora, Fort Stockton, Davis Mountains)

1. spends more time on US 190.
2. spends more time on IH 10.

How rough are both US 190 and IH 10?

How available is fuel?

How would you go?

Thanks
8 REPLIES 8

Isobar
Explorer
Explorer
Well, we chose route 1. The wind was a factor going there and back. We stopped for gas at San Saba, Menard, Eldorado, Iraan, and Fort Stockton. (I only have a 23 gallon tank and at 8mpg the stops were needed) The truck and trailer pulled/towed well and was stable despite the windy conditions.

Davis Mountain State Park is a beautiful place. We saw Fort Davis, Marfa, the Marfa lights viewing area and Alpine. Each location had its sites to see or places to eat.

Would I go again? YES but would hope for calm conditions and a little better MPG.

Isobar
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of the information, advice, suggestions and wishes.

Happyemptyneste
Explorer
Explorer
We have been several times on IH10 from Junction on. Be sure to stop at Balmorhea state park. Getting diesel didn't seem to be an issue on our trips in the past. If you have extra time be sure to take a day trip trip to Big Bend National Park.

4huskers
Explorer
Explorer
The full hook-up sites have cable. Great birding and hiking at the park. Have a home-made root beer with your food at the drug store

Captain_Happy
Explorer
Explorer
I was there twice many years ago. As I remember this is the only state park that I've been to that has TV Cable at each site. Also take a tour through old Fort Davis while your in the area.

jmhartley11
Explorer
Explorer
I live in Rochelle, Texas, just north of Brady. I have gone to Ft. Davis both ways, I90 and I10. I prefer the I10 route better. Smoother road, more fuel stops, and less time. Enjoy your trip. Ft. Davis is beautiful and a lot to do in the area.

Isaac-1
Explorer
Explorer
It has been over 20 years since I did the Hwy 190 route from Ft Davis to Waco (well Temple), and about 2 years since taking Hwy 290 west out of Austin to Ft Davis. Fuel stops options are not that far between, particularly on I-10 just don't let it get below 1/4 of a tank and you should be ok. There is a small town every 40 or 50 miles, and often truck stops in between on I-10. Maybe a bit less on Hwy 190. Personally I like the drive from Balmorea to Ft Davis on Hwy 17, is is narrower than Hwy 67 or 385, but not too bad, and FAR more scenic as it twists its way through the mountains (I think 45 or 50 mph speed limit). Speaking of speed limit, the section of I-10 is 85 mph.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
You can't go wrong with either way. They're good roads. Any medium town has gas and even the small ones, although you might pay a little more.

Have a great trip. It's a very nice park and be sure to take a tour at the nearby observatory. You're also not too far from Big Bend Nat'l Park for an added stop. Rio Grande Village RV has electric, if needed. March can start getting warm. Rio Grande Village campground (next door) has some nice shade trees.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel