cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Weather on route?

cpd520
Explorer
Explorer
What resource/web sites do you use to check weather along your route?
Jack and Nina
23 REPLIES 23

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
One time we had to get from point A to point B in a hurry and a bad, bad storm was approaching. It was a family emergency I believe and we really had to go. So while I drove, DH ran his Delorme navigation program on his netbook and with a split screen had the weather (not sure which site) on the side. He actually navigated us through the cells using those two programs. There were enough roads to do that, thank goodness, but we safely bypassed the worst of the weather. Don't care to do that again, but like I said, we didn't feel we had a choice. Waiting it out wasn't an option as we were sittin' ducks where we were.

In the car, I like weather bug because it shows live maps that show the weather cells.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

Kaz
Explorer
Explorer
I use XM Weather displayed on my GPS for a real-time display, overlaid on my route, as I drive. Besides that, it doesn't require a cell phone connection and is (or is close to) NEXRAD-quality. For planning in advance, or for a quick check when I've got coverage, I also use the sources ID'ed above.

Skip
Skip
K4EAK
2013 Thor ACE 30.1

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I also use Wunderground and Accuweather but they don't tell you road conditions and which highways are closed because of weather conditions. Most DOT sites give road closure conditions, high profile vehicle conditions, and also web cameras. Nothing like looking at a web camera before making a final decision. Especially traveling in WY or even over mtn passses in any northern state. WY even brings up a map showing all route conditions and snowplow priority plan. If you break down on a seconday road in the winter nice to know if help is 24 hours or 2 weeks away.

louiskathy
Explorer
Explorer
Intellicast - Weather in real time

Travel Midwest - trained on Chicago but you can move it
Travel Midwest
Kathy

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
If going through a "weather worry zone" I set the CB Radio to "WX" (Weather station)or the car stereo to the "WX" setting. Otherwise Weather Underground or the other sites already mentioned.
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk bรฅt - Dette mรฅ jeg se!

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
I like to find the DOT site for each state which has the weather cameras. Nothing better than an actual view. Utah and Oregon and Washington have great sites. (Well, at least is the daylight hours!)

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
cpd520 wrote:
What resource/web sites do you use to check weather along your route?

1. Wonderground
2. Weather
3. Just google the city for weather conditions/road
4. The weather channel and Cal Trans are the least accurate and/or up to date

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Weather Underground (Wunderground.com). They have a road trip weather tool, as well.
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Most states have 511 weather avsilable on tue telephone. otherwise just google "DOT weather" for the state you will he in. Some states like WY has a good weather web site.
www.wyoroad.info