Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Weather warning 4 Alaska....July 1st/2nd..update

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Batten down yer hatches....

http://www.adn.com/outdoors-adventure/2016/06/29/major-rainfall-predicted-for-southcentral-alaska-on...

Flood Statement
Issued at 05:38 Friday 01 July 2016

AT 522 AM AKDT...BASED ON REPORTING GAUGES A GLACIER-DAMMED LAKE
OUTBURST ALONG THE MENDENHALL LAKE AND RIVER IS CONTINUING. THE
ADDED WATER FROM THE GLACIER-DAMMED LAKE INTO THE RIVER SYSTEM WILL
RESULT IN CONTINUED RIVER RISES THROUGH FRIDAY EVENING. THE RIVER IS
CURRENTLY RISING AT AROUND 2 INCHES PER HOUR. ESTIMATED SUICIDE
BASIN LAKE LEVEL PRIOR TO RELEASE INDICATES THAT MENDENHALL LAKE AND
RIVER COULD SEE SIMILAR LEVELS TO THE 2014 RECORD EVENT OF 11.85
FEET.

FOR THE MENDENHALL LAKE:
AT 522 AM AKDT THE STAGE WAS 8.5 FEET.
FLOOD STAGE IS 9.0 FEET.
FORECAST: 11.6 FEET AROUND 10 PM ON JULY 1. INHERENT UNCERTAINTY IN
INITIAL GLACIAL LAKE VOLUME WILL RESULT IN VARYING CREST HEIGHT AND
TIMING WITH A CHANCE OF EXCEEDING RECORD LEVELS.

IMPACTS:
AT 9.1 FEET: WATER COVERS WEST GLACIER SPUR ROAD BETWEEN
SKATERS CABIN AND WEST GLACIER TRAILHEAD...ALSO WATER WILL FLOW INTO
THE MENDENHALL LAKE CAMPGROUND.
AT 10.0 FEET: WATER LEVELS WILL INUNDATE MENDENHALL CAMPGROUND WITH
UP TO 3 FEET OF WATER COVERING LOW AREAS ALONG WITH UP TO 1.5 FEET
OF WATER COVERING WEST GLACIER SPUR ROAD. PORTIONS OF WEST GLACIER
TRAIL WILL BE IMPASSABLE.
AT 11.0 FEET: VIEW DRIVE WILL BE FLOODED AND IMPASSABLE WITH
SIGNIFICANT FLOODING TO SOME HOMES IN THE AREA.

PLEASE STAY TUNED TO NOAA WEATHER RADIO OR YOUR FAVORITE LOCAL
WEATHER NEWS SOURCE FOR UPDATES ON THIS SITUATION.

IF YOU LIVE NEAR OR ALONG MENDENHALL RIVER SYSTEM STAY ALERT AND BE
PREPARED TO TAKE ACTION.

THE COLD WATER TEMPERATURES CAN INCREASE THE THREAT OF HYPOTHERMIA
AND LOWER THE TIME REQUIRED TO CAUSE HYPOTHERMIA.

Issued by National Weather Service

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/
5 REPLIES 5

MORSNOW
Navigator II
Navigator II
CabinetmakerII wrote:
So what time do they set off the fireworks? It never gets dark enough to see them. I was told by long time residents there is no firework display in Fairbanks... Oh well, I like the idea of sitting around the fire! Oh Bartender!

The fireworks are at Midnight tonight (Sunday night/Monday morning) in Eagle River, and Monday night in Anchorage after the double header ball game at the Stadium.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

CabinetmakerII
Explorer
Explorer
MORSNOW wrote:
PA12DRVR wrote:
FWIW, IMO we need the rain....certainly in the Los Anchorage area, suspect it's needed elsewhere too, although I've not been to the Copper River area lately.

Also FWIW and also IMNSHO, if y'all have a good camping spot, 4th of July weekend is a good time to just stay put. Most of the road-accessible campgrounds will be their busiest (maybe maybenot full, but busiest) this weekend.

.....and I find the drive back to Los Anchorage from either North or South a very less enjoyable experience on the last night of a holiday weekend than otherwise.....

^^^ This is the honest truth! ^^^

I love camping and ATV'ing all over south central Alaska, but this weekend will be a "stay-cation" due to the massive crowds everywhere. I have the camper moved to the back of my mountain side property, fire pit, and camp chairs all ready to camp out in the solitude of Hiland Mountain near Eagle River. I should be able to watch Eagle River's fireworks show from our fire pit.

So what time do they set off the fireworks? It never gets dark enough to see them. I was told by long time residents there is no firework display in Fairbanks... Oh well, I like the idea of sitting around the fire! Oh Bartender!
Cabinetmaker

2021 DRV 39 DBRS3
2017 F-450 4X4, Riece 24K Hitch
2011 F-450 4X4, Companion 18K Hitch, Air Bags (Retired)
2012 Cyclone 3800, 5th Airborne Kingpin (Retired)
2018 Polairs 1000 XP Side by Side

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
MORSNOW wrote:

I love camping and ATV'ing all over south central Alaska, but this weekend will be a "stay-cation" due to the massive crowds everywhere. I have the camper moved to the back of my mountain side property, fire pit, and camp chairs all ready to camp out in the solitude of Hiland Mountain near Eagle River. I should be able to watch Eagle River's fireworks show from our fire pit.

It sounds like a perfect spot for the holiday...lucky you!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

MORSNOW
Navigator II
Navigator II
PA12DRVR wrote:
FWIW, IMO we need the rain....certainly in the Los Anchorage area, suspect it's needed elsewhere too, although I've not been to the Copper River area lately.

Also FWIW and also IMNSHO, if y'all have a good camping spot, 4th of July weekend is a good time to just stay put. Most of the road-accessible campgrounds will be their busiest (maybe maybenot full, but busiest) this weekend.

.....and I find the drive back to Los Anchorage from either North or South a very less enjoyable experience on the last night of a holiday weekend than otherwise.....

2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN