cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Dakota?

sprose
Explorer
Explorer
We'll be heading from Rochester,MN to Livingsto, MT and google mapa give some choices of routes. We've never driven the area before so any suggestions on best route for RV and good campgrounds on the route. We are planning on one night along the way.
Thanks.
13 REPLIES 13

RVing_Photograp
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with Islandman. I grew up in central North Dakota along the Missouri River and now live in the NE corner of South Dakota. I have traveled to the western part of SD several times and would much prefer the drive across ND. More scenery and towns for stopping conveniences. My wife and I are now moving to Oregon and I will be going through Yellowstone on the way but plan on driving I-94 through ND and stop at the beautiful Medora, ND and the Theodore Roosevelt NP. The route is easy driving with a fifth wheel, as well.
"Live life or it will pass you by."

2007 Toyota Tundra with Firestone airbags
2011 Heartland Sundance XLT 24RL
2006 Kawasaki Brute Force 650i
Myself and Dr. (a.k.a the wife of 24 great years) New "Empty Nesters"
Storm, 4 yr Black Lab & Jazz, 12 yr mixed breed

ramyankee
Explorer
Explorer
One thing to watch out for around Livingston are the little BREEZES that could blow through there.....It can be pretty amazing. I lived in Livingston from 70-82 and it got pretty old.
Rick and Patti 🙂
2 Proud Christian CONSERVATIVES 🙂
2002 Chevy Silverado, 8.1, Crew, LB, 3.73, 4X4
2020 Mesa Ridge 291rls
Now living in North Idaho (formerly Northeastern California) ... but the heart is with MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've see pros and cons on using US212. Some say it can save an hour. Some say it is too remote.

grandma_lynn
Explorer
Explorer
we have driven 212 in the past, 2-lane but not a bad road.If you like antique shopping, Belle Fourche, SD has quite a few shops. Next stop Alzada,MT, if you need fuel. Next Broadus, MT,there is cafe used to be called the homestead had good food and there was an antique shop there with plenty of room to park on the street. Then on thru the reservation and to the Bighorn Battlefield, a must see sight. And there you will pick up I90. Happy travels.
full-timer in training

wcferb
Explorer
Explorer
Hwy 212 is a good road. Only one diesel stop, midway to Montana interstate.

sprose
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the feedback, GM has a route of I90 but uses 212 to cut out WY. Any concerns on using 212? I'm a Class C 33' plus toad on a dolly.

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
We have used every road at one time or the other in the last 16 years going to and fro to Great Falls,Mt. My vote is to use I-90. Have a great trip.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
paulj wrote:
From other threads it sounds as though the oil field congestion affects US2 in the western half of the state, but not I94 so much. Medora is still open to tourists.

I'll personally vouch for that. Took both routes (US 2 one trip, I-94 via Fargo from Grand Forks second trip) going from Grand Forks to Washington state last year.

I-94 was what I considered normal traffic, even in Dickinson area, which is also heavily invested in the oil boom.

US 2 was normal until one gets west from Minot, then it gets busy.

I-94 good road, and others have described sites to see along that route. I much prefer I-94 over I-90, but to be clear, it is I-90 in Wyoming I dislike.

I-90 Wyoming is a nice road, but wow. It is rural empty nothing out there until one gets to Buffalo (I-90 and I-25 split there) and moves north. Between the South Dakota border and Buffalo there is really only Gilette WY, and further west almost nothing.

At least on the I-94 route there is good scenery, and to me, especially following the Yellowstone River once one hits Glendive MT.
The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
From other threads it sounds as though the oil field congestion affects US2 in the western half of the state, but not I94 so much. Medora is still open to tourists.

StephJohn2010
Explorer
Explorer
Go thru South Dakota, no question about it.
John & Steph
2012 Fleetwood Discovery 40x (35,000 miles)
380 HP Cummins with an Allison Transmission - Freightliner Chassis
2015 Jeep Cherokee Limited Active Drive II

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
There's a good reason to NOT go through ND. For starters, you're leaving from the southernmost part of MN, to the southernmost part of Montana. Going thru ND will add about 200 miles to a 1,000 mile trip. But the biggest reason is the oil boom in western ND around Williston. Lots of tanker trucks on Rt. 2 and I-94, and you'd be lucky to find a barn to overnight in and you'd pay a pretty penny for it. Oil field workers have taken over everything. From your location, I-90 is a straight shot to Livingston, MT.
North Dakota will settle down, but not for a few years. I recently read that they've found massive oil shale deposits in the Willison area in addition to the oil already found, which requires more equipment for extraction, and more years.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
There was a recent thread about going from Rochester to Duluth, and how to bypass St Paul. Using the beltways doesn't add much time or distance, though.

I'm not sure why GM ascribes less time to the I94 route, even though the distance is longer.

I've driven both, and consider it a toss up, especially if coming from Wisconsin before the 2 freeways split up. I90 across southern Minnesota is supposed be bouncy (tilted slabs), but I94 has the Twin Cities. I94 has Teddy Roosevelt NP, but I90 has the Black Hills. I90 also skirts the Big Horn Mtns.

When I first drove west on I90 (with a small boat in tow) I crossed those mtns (on US14), into Yellowstone, spending the whole of 6 hrs seeing the sights, and continued on to Livingston and I90 west bound. But the return leg of that trip I took I94, and passed through the Twin Cities in the early morning hours.

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a native South Dakotan, but I like the drive through North Dakota better, more things to see, especially in the western part around Teddy Roosevelt NP. Take the freeway or go on US 2 and make sure you stop at Fort Union where the Yellostone River meets the Missouri. Will make your visit to Livingston more meaningful since that's on the Yellowstone also. Good CG's in the NP and no doubt private or county/municipal CG's along the way. Another must see place is at the Mandan village where Lewis & Clark spent the winter of 1804-05 with the Mandan Indians, probably good camping spots nearby but I'm not sure.