cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WY, UT, AZ - Teton to Grand Canyon scenic route advice

Reflex439
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning a 2-3 month trip from the east coast to the west, then back. We have two weeks planned to travel from Teton down to the Grand Canyon, and would like to see Zion, Arches, Monument Valley, and??, along the way. I’m looking for some advice on good scenic routes to travel to keep off the interstates. Scenic two lane blacktop is my choice, but I’ll use the interstates if there isn’t a great scenic choice or we need to makeup time.

So between Teton and the Grand Canyon, are they any really good scenic routes I should make sure I travel on? Any real standouts that I can plan routes between the various landmarks and parks? We will be traveling in a 20’ Class B van so most any road won’t pose a issue (even Sitgreaves Pass out of Oatman AZ which is on our list).

Also, any suggestions on exceptional boondocking would be welcome. We are planning on a mix of campgrounds, BLM, overnight parking, as situations dictate. If there are some exception boondocking locations, we will try to work those in the plan.

Thanks
19 REPLIES 19

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I would add Colorado National Monument in between Dinosaur and Arches. Goblin Valley is an interesting spot worth seeing. If you decide to head down US-191 to Monument Valley, plan on short stops to see the Twin Rocks at Bluff and the Hat Rock at Mexican Hat. Also drive through Valley of the Gods. I've never been to Goosenecks SP, but many rave about the view. Moki Dugway is along that route also... good views.

With your B, you should plan to spend a night at the Navajo National Monument cg (very nice, but small campsites only) and perhaps hike to see some of the ruins. I stayed there with a 17' trailer last summer but I could have fit into only a few of the sites. From there it is an easy drive to GC.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Dinosaur National Monument has a nice campground along the Green River not far from the Visitor Center/Quarry. If you can not get into the Fruita Campground at Capitol Reef, in the Torrey area, there are campgrounds and dispersed camping opportunities in the Dixie and Fish Lake National Forests. In the Moab area, there are a number of BLM campgrounds along UT-128 and other routes. There are also dispersed camping opportunities in the Moab area, but the link I have no longer works Contact BLM for the areas where dispersed camping is allowed). In the Monument Valley area, there is dry camping at Goosenecks State Park and boondocking on BLM land in The Valley of The Gods. There is also a BLM campground in the Sand Island Recreation Area.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

Reflex439
Explorer
Explorer
CloudDriver, thanks for the route. I'll map it out and see how that works for us. Lots of good info.

Tow Hands, I don't want to try to do too much in one trip. Leaving Yellowstone guarantees a return trip and exploring Yellowstone, Idaho, Washington and Oregon, which will be the last few states to complete the US states I've visited with the exception of Alaska (a trip all on its own). I'm afraid if I do Yellowstone, I'll probably never get to those other states. It won't be easy fighting the temptation though 🙂

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
You mention the Tetons, Zion, and the Grand Canyon, but what about Yellowstone. Just a little north of the Tetons and one of the most beautiful national parks in the United States.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Take route 191 south out of Jackson to Rock Springs and continue south on 191 to Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area. Take the tour of the dam. IIRC it was free. Others will suggest camping there, we just drove on. Continue to Vernal for Dinosaur National Monument to see the bone wall. Continue on 191 to I70 east to 191 to Moab. Arches and the Island in the Sky portions of Canyonlands are right there. Before leaving moab take a 1/2 day trip up route 128 along the Colorado River as far as Fisher Towers. Go back up 191 to I70 west to route 24 south. Stop at Goblin Valley State Park. Continue on 24 to Capital Reef NP. Try for the Fruita campground in the Park. If not, Thousand Lakes RV Park in nearby Torrey was great. Take route 12 from Torrey to Kodachrome State Park and Bryce Canyon NP. Continue through Red Canyon to route 89 south to route 9 into Zion NP. Return on 9 to 89 south to 89A to Jacob Lake for the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Nice Forest Service campground at Jacob Lake and another on route 67 near the North Rim entrance station. Continue on 89A past the Vermilion Cliffs to join route 89 south to route 64 to the South Rim.

Good scenic routes with minimal interstate highways and at least two weeks of activities. Enjoy!
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450🙂