cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yellowstone or bust

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
I was posting on another persons post that I'm going to attempt Teton/ Yellowstone/glacier for 3 weeks in July. Lol I realize some say it's too much and I don't disagree. Working on taking off another half week. I'm going to try to reserve some days for campgrounds in next few weeks. I'm going to post my questions starting with day 1 and please experience campers....add your thoughts.

Day 1 Dover oh to Joliet Il on rt 30 390 miles and 6 hours 45 min

I don't know anything about Chicagoland other than I've been through it. Sometimes slow and sometimes at 90mph. I did take 30 from Chicago few months ago and not bad. My only requirement is be on other side of Chicago come morning and I'd love to treat family to Chicago pizza. If no camping anywhere what are some options.
38 REPLIES 38

newk
Explorer
Explorer
stew47 wrote:
$80 for all 3 parks plus Rushmore and where ever else we go doesn't seem terrible.

It doesn't help for Rushmore. Rushmore is "free," just like it's always been. But 2-3 decades ago they built a big, new, multi-level parking lot at Rushmore, so now they charge you to park. :R No way to get around it. The parking pass is good for a year, so if you go during the day and decide you want to return for an evening lighting, at least they don't charge you again to park.

The Park pass will be good for Devils Tower, YNP, GTNP, Glacier, SD Badlands. I always bought one until I qualified for the old fogey pass.

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
$80 for all 3 parks plus Rushmore and where ever else we go doesn't seem terrible.

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
Lol I havent thought of 39 as a youngster. Thank you though I'll look at it.

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Stew,
You might want to consider a National Parks Pass. I suspect you aren't over 62 yet, but if you are, the pass costs $10 and is good for life. There are other options if you're a youngster.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
Well as we push along planning now comes the hard part....lol how much is this gonna cost? Ok well how much is the stuff gonna cost that I don't know about? My known costs are the fuel (4000 miles at 7mpg), camp fees at 30 to 50 a night, and food (which I don't really count cause we gotta eat anyways. What are some other costs? How do you fellow rv ers plan?

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
KenMast wrote:

I noticed on the Coulter Bay website that they don't take reservations. How do you folks handle that? What do you do if you're in the middle of nowhere with no reservations and nowhere to stay and the closest Walmart is a hundred miles away and it's pitch black outside? I don't want to sound like a sissy, but where do you put a 45 foot motorhome and toad?

Colter Bay 'campground' does not take reservations for its 300+ sites. The Colter Bay RV next door does take reservations.

During our full-timing we have stayed in Yellowstone and Grand Tetons (among many others) and have never had a reservation. Some campgrounds in the parks don't even accept reservations and that's where we head. We stay nearby the previous night and drive to the campground early morning when folks are leaving. We always got a site with our 40' motorhome. One time we even pulled into Madison campground which does take reservations. We easily got a site because every day there are cancellations. We find it more pleasant to not be tied to reservations...but that's just us. It can be done. 🙂
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
KenMast wrote:
I'm pretty new to RVing, and Yellowstone is on my bucket list along with major trips to the Badlands, Grand Canyon, Brice, etc.

I noticed on the Coulter Bay website that they don't take reservations. How do you folks handle that? What do you do if you're in the middle of nowhere with no reservations and nowhere to stay and the closest Walmart is a hundred miles away and it's pitch black outside? I don't want to sound like a sissy, but where do you put a 45 foot motorhome and toad?

Colter bay does take reservations. I need to reserve soon. If I find myself without a camp site I'm just gonna pull over and sleep. Get up early and move. Never had to do that yet though. Seems like I remember some folks telling me they always manage a camp site. No guarantees on holidays though.

RamblinManGA
Explorer
Explorer
Hi from AZ. . . folks are different, aren't they ! We loved 10 days at Yellowstone & didn't think much of the Tetons ! We enjoyed Cody & Bozeman, but didn't care for Jackson Hole. The Badlands, Custer State Park & environs were very enjoyable, but I would not go near there when the biker crowd was there (no offense, just not my crowd). Also, when traveling with kids years ago, I gave them the AAA Tourbook for the area and said " OK, what looks good to you ?" they enjoyed making choices and I'm SURE we went some places that weren't on my list, and had a great time ! Above all, enjoy regards, Craig
Formerly 'Seahawk09'

KenMast
Explorer
Explorer
I'm pretty new to RVing, and Yellowstone is on my bucket list along with major trips to the Badlands, Grand Canyon, Brice, etc.

2015 Class C Thor Four Winds 31L. Toad is a 2012 Chevy Equinox.

martinto
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of good perspectives on options. Thinking to head to Seattle in 2016 with stops along the way. Glacier really appeals. Been to Yellowstone and the Black Hills area some years ago...but in a car! Now we are pulling a Coachman Apex 279RLSS. Looking at road trip planning guides but haven't locked onto anything yet.

So, from all this experience noted by fellow RV'ers, what is the best route, miles per day, what areas are a must to have a reservation and what time of year...especially considering a stop near Glacier. Retired, so time is not an issue. We're thinking a month, but want to do it all without any need to rush.

A_hitch_and_hop
Explorer
Explorer
Stew47 Last summer we stayed at a RV park in Hardin, Mt. on our trip East from Glacier NP. Three sites that we enjoyed. 1. Pompies Piller on I-94 east of Billings, 2. Bend County Museum in Hardin, 3. Little Big Horn NP. Devils Tower is not much unless you are into hiking. It also is very busy during Sturgis bike week.

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you want to avoid more tolls, don't bother with 88, take 80 east from I-39 south. 80 is fine, except during some rush hours (depending on direction). First thing in the morning, heading west from Indiana toward Iowa, it will back up. 30 will probably take you twice the time.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

Rustycamperpant
Explorer
Explorer
I would not go through Chicago. 90 seems to always have construction going on. I would take 90 to Rockford and then 39 south to Rochelle then 88 east towards Chicago, south on 355 to 80 east. Eventually you will be to the point where all these interstates combine to go around the "pond", but it can hardly be avoided. We usually take either 355 as I wrote or 295 whenever we go to Michigan ... one of our favorite states.
2009 Ford Expedition EB, 3.73, Equal-i-zer
2015 KZ Sportsman Showstopper 301BH

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
newk wrote:
Since you have kids... the Black Hills is really great for them.

Might I suggest that you let the kids do a little Googling of Glacier, Yellowstone and Black Hills. Let them help plan the vacation. They'll be more interested in it and get more out of it if they help plan it. As for how much time, I'd hate to say. For lots of vacationers it's the destination point. A week there wouldn't be unusual at all.

I'm sure you can order (free) vacation guides for Wyoming, Montana and South Dakota that will come packed with lots of popular tourist attractions including Yellowstone, Glacier and the Black Hills.

They would love to help. Lol maybe have mailers come in their name. They love getting mail.