cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2013 vacation to NM,Colorado and South Dakota

leesan
Explorer
Explorer
Just came back from our annual camping vacation. This year we went to Chama NM and stayed at Chama RV Park, Nice place ,small little town, Cumbres and Toltec train. Didn't ride a little to expensive. Next stop was Estes parkJellystone not impressed with that place. Sites not leveled, not a lot of privacy. I would not stay there again After Estes Park our next stop was South Dakota stayed at Rafter J Ranch. I would give that park a 10. Sites very spread out,lots of trees and the views were magnificent .A little expensive but worth the money. The only negative was the Wi Fi didn't work at all at night time to many people trying to get on it and the system was overloaded. Coming back stayed at Elk Creek in GrandlakePark needs some upgrading but not too bad.then on to Carbondale and stayed at the KOA. The negative at this campground was the owners were updating the bathrooms so they only had portable ones. Owners very nice people.We visited Maroon Bells. What are gorgeous place to me this has been the most beautiful place ever.If you are around Aspen you cant miss this place and last but not least Rifle Falls very nice park with water falls just minutes away from the campground. This year our camping trip was fantastic. Happy Trails for next year.
4 REPLIES 4

crabbin_cabin
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nice report but I'm sorry you did not take the train ride from Chama. We liked that route even better than the 'famed' Durango/Silverton train. IMHO - worth it to go back to!

DesertHawk
Explorer
Explorer
Hope you took some time to go watch the train go up the mountain to Cumbres Pass. Very neat seeing it going up & racing ahead to see it cross the hwy. Last summer we did the 1/2 way trip (Chama to Osier by Train; Return by Train) & the next day got to follow the train up to the pass as we were moving on to Colorado Springs.

The Ride was Fun, but tiring. I have always enjoyed just following the train & seeing it moving along & hearing it's whistle blow as it comes to & crosses the hwy. It stops at the Cumbres Pass Station to take on water. Good place to get good photos of the train.

Cumbres Pass, elevation 10,020 ft. Chama is at 7,871 ft.

A nice drive to Antonito, the second pass between Chama & Antonito is La Manga Pass (10,230').
NM/CO Route 17

Cumbres Toltec Steam Train runs from & to Chama & Antonito turns soon after Cumbres Pass Station & head cross country to Antonito. One or two Train Chasers followed it into the back country some way. Waved at them often, but not sure how they got out in the back country. Ha!
C&T Train Photos

The price also includes a good hardy & hot Lunch, all one could want to eat. Buffet Lunch @ Osier

We have always stayed at the State Park south of Chama.
:CDesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

bradnailer
Explorer
Explorer
I've been camping at a NFS campground about 20 miles from Chama towards Antonito since I was a lad. Love the area. Great trip report.
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 233RBS
Prior: Jayco Pop Up, Shasta Bunkhouse, Rockwood Pop Up

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Always nice to read a trip report! Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel