Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

30 yr camping picture

MrWizard
i have mentioned this photo several times in posts
i found it in a box while cleaning a couple days ago

taken on a morning trail ride thru Bryce Canyon
we were on top of a ridge line down in the canyon and the sun cast the shadows of the horse train on the canyon floor below us

the photo is Aug 4 1987, it is fading and the color has shifted a little

hope i can find the negative, IIRC it was taken with a compact Pentax 35mm

that trip and this picture created a lifetime memory
this is a scan directly from the photo

Click For Full-Size Image.
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s
15 REPLIES 15

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for sharing. I love posts like this. Interesting how an entire trips memories can be captured in a moment.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your Dodge trip brought back memories:

Early in our marriage - after AF duty and before kids - the DW and myself bought a new Dodge B200 (3/4 ton) delivery van and built stuff inside to kindof convert it into somewhat of a camper. Not exactly complete with it's porta potty, pull out bed, vent cut through the metal roof, side window cut through one metal side, linoleum over plywood floor, 40 gallon aux gas tank I installed while lying on my back on the ground, humming inverter to make 120V AC, heavy duty engine cooling option, after-market cab air conditioning I installed from a kit, big over-stock-size tires I had installed, and it's walk on the knees stock ceiling height.

That good old Dodge served us for years as a daily driver and camper. We carried a Honda Scrambler on-road/off-road motorcycle on the back on some of our RV trips using a mount I made for it from some pipe and a piece of channel iron. It's smooth running 318 cubic inch V8 could log around 18 MPG on the open road while providing an outstanding 60+ gallon total gasoline capacity range. We traveled all over the West in that rig on our short two-week or less vacations before there was much traffic on highways that were in good condition and on offroads that weren't in good condition.

Ohhh ... for the good old simple days!
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

MrWizard
Horse drawn popup ๐Ÿ™‚
We made that trip in a Dodge bubble top camper van
Complete with 12v fridge and porta potty
Son thought that toilet was the greatest thing we every had with us while camping, he was eight years old at that time
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ha .... right you are. A shrub it is!

I coulda sworn it was a shadow of your small horse drawn pop-up being pulled down the trail, but with one of it's wheels somehow refusing to be shadowed. ๐Ÿ˜‰

MrWizard
because its NOT a wagon wheel
its a shrub, the shadow of the horse and rider is mostly obscuring
thats the bottom of the shrub where it branches out
there were NO wagons on the trail ride, just people on horses on a 'Narrow' trail

nice optical illusion, i never noticed

click the link on the first picture for a closer look at the enlarged image
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mr.W,

An outstanding artistic shadow image! It reminds me of those photos of the students they used to make in grammar school.

One aspect of your image has me scratching my head though ... why does a small portion of the bottom of the wagon wheel look like a real image instead of a shadow??

MrWizard
that could be
its been 30yrs, long time for a memory of a picture/scene

the shadows look like what mind say they should, but now the trees/brush isn;t green

i actually like the color in the other one more

thank you, you don't need to keep trying, my memory is probably playing tricks on me
and i like the green trees and purple rock glow
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
More like this?

Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

MrWizard
great job, the rocks and brush look great

i keep thinking the shadows should be more black less purple
but thats probably a mental thing, because there is black in the parts of the shadows and the morning light does crazy things among those rocks

very nice, thank you
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know exactly how the colors were originally, but I took a stab at fixing it up for you. See what you think.

Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Naio
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lovely!
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

JaneNLee
Explorer
Explorer
Excellent photos...thanks for sharing to both of you !!!
Never RV with anyone crazier than you!!

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
Impressive. (Death Valley days?)
Cal

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great. Thanks for sharing.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad