Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Andersonville andd Appomattox

wtmtnhiker
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,
Were going to head south next week and plan to visit these two historic sites. Anyone have any experience with the CG's in these 2 areas that accommodate big rigs? Would like advice on where to stay. Andersonville Georgia/Appomattox, Va Thanks.
bgbassman(bluegrass bass man)
15 REPLIES 15

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:
TragedyTrousers wrote:
Confederate Naval Museum is definitely worth a trip to Columbus.

X2, really enjoyed it. Also the National Infantry Museum in Columbus at Ft Benning was first rate!

That was a good day..

Explorer
Explorer
In Appomattox be sure to set aside some time to go to the Museum Of the Confederacy Annex. It is an excellent museum on the edge of Appomattox NPS.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
TragedyTrousers wrote:

X2, really enjoyed it. Also the National Infantry Museum in Columbus at Ft Benning was first rate!
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

TragedyTrousers
Explorer
Explorer

Dave2001
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Holiday Lake State Park. They have a new campground area about 8 sites for larger campers up to 38 ft, also has 50 amp service. Restrooms and showers were really nice. It is close to Appomattox. Has limited cell phone reception.
2005 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 32SKD
2001 Dodge 2500 Quad cab, 4x4, HO, 6spd, 4:10

wtmtnhiker
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for the great replies and advice. Now have a good idea for itinerary. Leaving soon!

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
wtmtnhiker wrote:
TenOC wrote:
Southern Trails Resort in Unadilla, GA is a C2C park. I assume than any one can camp there. Call ahead -- you may get a free stay if you listen to a sales talk. The big advantage is that (1) it is near I-75 and (2) there are a large number of pecan trees in the park -- pick up all you want free. I suggest you do not park under a tree if you want to sleep. . . . :R

Andersonville POW camp and Jimmy Carter's home and peanut factory are a one day trip away. I was VERY impressed with the POW museum. I learned a lot. I suggest it to everyone. Remember the death rate at the POW camps in the south were about the same as the POW camps in the north -- and the southern people as well as the solders were "starving" when Andersonville was a POW camp.

What's a C2C park?

Coast to Coast -- A membership park. If you travel much (more than 60 days a year) you should check out (Google or this forum) RE-SALE of membership parks. There are C2C, ARO and RPI parks.

One of many postings
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
When we went to Appomatox,we stayed at Bear Creek Lake State Park. When we went to Andersonville,we stayed at Georgia Veterans State Park. While in Georgia,you may want to check out the Infantry Museum at Ft Benning and the Confederate Naval Museum in Columbus.

wtmtnhiker
Explorer
Explorer
TenOC wrote:
Southern Trails Resort in Unadilla, GA is a C2C park. I assume than any one can camp there. Call ahead -- you may get a free stay if you listen to a sales talk. The big advantage is that (1) it is near I-75 and (2) there are a large number of pecan trees in the park -- pick up all you want free. I suggest you do not park under a tree if you want to sleep. . . . :R

Andersonville POW camp and Jimmy Carter's home and peanut factory are a one day trip away. I was VERY impressed with the POW museum. I learned a lot. I suggest it to everyone. Remember the death rate at the POW camps in the south were about the same as the POW camps in the north -- and the southern people as well as the solders were "starving" when Andersonville was a POW camp.

What's a C2C park?

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad

Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

wtmtnhiker
Explorer
Explorer
pinesman wrote:
Parkview Mobile Home and RV Park is the closest to the Appomattox park. There is an Andersonville about 25 miles from Appomattox. Not to insult you, but I assume you realize that one is not the one you are looking for. A lot of people over the years have traveled a long ways to be disappointed in this Andersonville.

Yes thanks I do realize that. I should have stated more clearly. Andersonville Georgia/Appomattox, Va.

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
We stayed at Parkview RV Park in Appomattox last month. It is very convenient to Apppomattox Court House. We knew what to expect from the campground and we very well satisfied--a nice level place to park, friendly full-time-resident neighbors, and strong WIFI. We would definitely go back there again for the convenience of visiting Appomattox Court House.

This is not a resort or destination and makes no pretence of being so, but it was a pleasant overnight for us and we were able to visit the "Courthouse" in the afternoon and move on the next day.

You may have to get the WIFI password from neighbors. At least we did, but we arrived on a Sunday afternoon and the office was not open. We did have reservations.

pinesman
Explorer
Explorer
Parkview Mobile Home and RV Park is the closest to the Appomattox park. There is an Andersonville about 25 miles from Appomattox. Not to insult you, but I assume you realize that one is not the one you are looking for. A lot of people over the years have traveled a long ways to be disappointed in this Andersonville.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Georgia veterans SP would be the best choice for Andersonville
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)