cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Are campgrounds more crowded or is it just me?

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
We just upgraded our RV to a new Phoenix Cruiser 2351D and picked it up in Elkhart, IN after their lock down of a month and a half. On our way home, which we wanted to take our time getting back home to check everything out. Any way, most all the state parks enroute were packed. Lucky to even get in.
Planning an early July trip and have to make reservation most of the way, which is very unlike us. Parks we wanted to stay over were booked and had to replan. We'd find a park of 43 sites and 9 openings and a day or so later only one or two were open.
We're not use to making reservations, as we are never really sure when we'll be where. I mean if we really like a place we'll stay a couple of extra days or leave eralier than planned. Besides I hate "ordering" a site based on a couple inch square picture. Looked at Google Earth, but that won't show the incline of the site, how far the power pole is, or if it still has shade or not, etc.
We are state park, COE & municipal/county park campers. Commercial/private parks just don't cut it for us. Even FamCamp will fork for a nigh.
So any way, is it me being locked down for so long that every thing seems more crowded or are there more people out and about?
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!
41 REPLIES 41

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
JAC1982 wrote:
I'm in a Facebook group for Colorado RV camping, it has over 9,000 members. Every single day there is a new member posting something along the lines of "We just bought an RV, where can we go camp". With other types of travel being ill-advised, I think this will just be the norm this summer.
Next year might be a good time for used RV deals ๐Ÿ˜‰

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in a Facebook group for Colorado RV camping, it has over 9,000 members. Every single day there is a new member posting something along the lines of "We just bought an RV, where can we go camp". With other types of travel being ill-advised, I think this will just be the norm this summer.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
wapiticountry wrote:
bucky wrote:
Bears Den wrote:
After weeks of trying to get a reservation at a state park in the Keys for next May, I finally got into Curry Hammock. Fortunately, we are flexible with our dates. Itโ€™s aggravating to see 8 spots open at a state park and at 8 am when you can reserve, all 8 are taken by 8:01 am.

Actually they are taken by 8:00:01 AM. There are folks out there running bots or having 15 of their friends on laptops all hitting the button the split second the window opens. Florida is constantly trying to keep it honest but it's a losing battle.
Friends that travel with us in the winter months are on their own from now on. Near impossible to get 1 site much less 2.
The only way it will ever be made close to fair is to make the deposit and the cancellation fees painful. A $10 or $20 fee stops no one. A fee equal to one night's stay isn't much more effective. Require payment in full and make the cancel fees 25% if cancelled with more than 60 days notice, 50% with between three days to 60 days notice and no refunds on either weekend or holiday reservations and that might make people think twice about reserving multiple sites in different locations on the same days or reserving multiple sets of dates so they can choose which they will use later.

And after the first night no-show, then the site is open first-come at least two days, then reservable. I'd prefer first-come, but others are less flexible so a little chance for everyone in these cases.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer
bucky wrote:
Bears Den wrote:
After weeks of trying to get a reservation at a state park in the Keys for next May, I finally got into Curry Hammock. Fortunately, we are flexible with our dates. Itโ€™s aggravating to see 8 spots open at a state park and at 8 am when you can reserve, all 8 are taken by 8:01 am.

Actually they are taken by 8:00:01 AM. There are folks out there running bots or having 15 of their friends on laptops all hitting the button the split second the window opens. Florida is constantly trying to keep it honest but it's a losing battle.
Friends that travel with us in the winter months are on their own from now on. Near impossible to get 1 site much less 2.
The only way it will ever be made close to fair is to make the deposit and the cancellation fees painful. A $10 or $20 fee stops no one. A fee equal to one night's stay isn't much more effective. Require payment in full and make the cancel fees 25% if cancelled with more than 60 days notice, 50% with between three days to 60 days notice and no refunds on either weekend or holiday reservations and that might make people think twice about reserving multiple sites in different locations on the same days or reserving multiple sets of dates so they can choose which they will use later.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bears Den wrote:

Puma 30RKSS

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
garmp wrote:
So any way, is it me being locked down for so long that every thing seems more crowded or are there more people out and about?
Been this way in CA since at least the 1960s. Now it can be even worse with internet reservations there are plenty of places solid booked for all Summer months and booked six+ months in advance.

YEP! as i have said before, now off season often requires reservations 6 months in advance.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
garmp wrote:
Been this way in CA since at least the 1960s. Now it can be even worse with internet reservations there are plenty of places solid booked for all Summer months and booked six+ months in advance.

JeremyFr
Explorer
Explorer
Been using our camping pass this year, haven't had any issues here in WA getting into any of the resorts, but the state parks have been completely closed until recently, not even going to bother with those this year.
2016 Ford F150 XLT SCREW Long Bed 4x4 3.5L EcoBoost with Stage 3 Livernois Tunes

2007 Jayco JayFlight 23FB

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm also in the NW so I found out when I bought my RV that we had to book way in advance if we wanted a weekend spot. If you are looking for weekday, they are usually a little easier. I booked our July spot in November and our August spot by December, but that one is in MT. We tried to book a memorial day weekend back in November, but couldn't find an opening. Obviously lots of reservations were canceled. So, it just depends on if you are looking for a place that takes reservations or not. If they don't take reservations, you might be able to just show up. Being able to dry camp sure helps. We have a place not far from where we live we can just show up and usually find a spot even with a larger 5th wheel.

The other issue is size. I like the reservation due to the size of our rig. We found one state part that limits how many reservations they will take, opening the place up for people that just show up. The only issue we had is that we booked what we could get, then tried to change when we got there to an open spot, the camp ground manager wanted us to pay for the reserved spot and pay again for the spot we wanted to move to. Not cool, we just stayed where we reserved. Probably will try that place again this summer by just showing up and seeing what happens. There are some other non official camp spots in the area so we could just park anywhere. It's all dry camping anyway.

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience

richclover
Explorer
Explorer
Wapiticountry wrote:
โ€œ...And don't forget, it is also a regional thing. Most people who need to plan long trips cancelled them due to uncertainty. It was not known up to the time they open when National Parks will open. Travel to follow your favorite Baseball team, or NASCAR driver is off for the year. Nobody is going to take their RV across the country to go to a cancelled music festival. That leaves near local trips, so parks near major population centers are getting much more business than normal. Areas dependent on those planned trips are suffering. ..โ€

Agreed. The national forest camp sites in the Uinta Mtns, UT, are very crowded this summer. Local word is the RV dealers in Salt Lake City are having a very good season.
Rich
2019 RAM 1500 Classic 4X4 Hemi
2021 CanAm Maverick DS Turbo
Southern NV

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, very busy here in PA. We are not good planners. With 2 working adults and 3 kids we make a lot of last minute decisions. Used to be fairly easy to get a sit. Not so much any more.

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
garmp wrote:
We just upgraded our RV to a new Phoenix Cruiser 2351D and picked it up in Elkhart, IN after their lock down of a month and a half. On our way home, which we wanted to take our time getting back home to check everything out. Any way, most all the state parks enroute were packed. Lucky to even get in.
Planning an early July trip and have to make reservation most of the way, which is very unlike us. Parks we wanted to stay over were booked and had to replan. We'd find a park of 43 sites and 9 openings and a day or so later only one or two were open.
We're not use to making reservations, as we are never really sure when we'll be where. I mean if we really like a place we'll stay a couple of extra days or leave eralier than planned. Besides I hate "ordering" a site based on a couple inch square picture. Looked at Google Earth, but that won't show the incline of the site, how far the power pole is, or if it still has shade or not, etc.
We are state park, COE & municipal/county park campers. Commercial/private parks just don't cut it for us. Even FamCamp will fork for a nigh.

Just got back from a reservation at Mom & Pop campground, The owners mentioned the campground was almost booked solid, where a year ago it wouldn't have at this time. With business reopening everyone is just itching to get out.

I usually don't book July 4th weekend but this year I did just before the covid broke. For me that reservation is worth gold especially after loosing my April & May reservations.

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Usually the MO is no reservations here. Works well Sunday-Thursday. To be sure for the weekend get there Thursday if possible or early Friday. Lots of CGs hold a few no reservation sites. Bag one of them for the weekend.

Plan B: There is always Walmart or Lowes.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

GeeWillakers
Explorer
Explorer
BC has been like WA for a decade and I suspect AB too. RV sales, especially trailers for family camping, are way up. Good luck getting a site in a PP this summer. Weโ€™re looking at maybe September.
2007 Triple-E Commander A3202FB W22 8.1 6spd Banks Power
2014 Jeep Wrangler JK toad, a Bug and a Frenchie