cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

at wits end

Road_Phantom
Explorer
Explorer
Three weeks ago, we reserved a spot at Wildwood Village, Wildwood, Fl. I cancelled the following day, but not after they had already taken out a $500 deposit from my credit card. The reservation was not until Dec 01 of this year for what would have been six months. I called a total of four times to ask why my money wasn't credited back to the card and told each time that they would look into it. The last two times they said it was resolved, but when I called back three days ago the clerk couldn't find any record of me. Finally after waiting on hold she found my papers and promised once again that the money would be credited. Three days have passed since then. If nothing happens by next week, I'm contacting the florida Fraud department and make a complaint. I also will call the credit card and let them know.
Do you have any further suggestions? Thanks.
21 REPLIES 21

Road_Phantom
Explorer
Explorer
resolved. I finally got my credit back in full. I did call the credit card company and they told me to wait 30 days before making the complaint. The CG took full blame and did the right thing.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ralph Cramden wrote:
doxiemom11 wrote:
Most credit cards require you to notify them "in writing" of any dispute for charges.

If your bank requires you to dispute charges in writing, you should shred that card and find another bank. The only time I have ever had to submit anything in writing when disputing a charge was if the merchant in turn disputed the charge back, and the bank needed to escalate the claim.
X2 Phone call works for us.

The last one was 2 fraudulent charges. One was a online purchase shipped to us and the shipping address was changed 1 day before delivery to a nearby town. The UPS delivery indicated a woman accepted the package at that address. We did receive a snail mail form to fill out and were reasonably sure the merchant disputed the charge.

The item was a $900 pair of very high end hiking boots from a company in Colorado. We certainly understand why the merchant was unhappy. We're reasonably sure this occurred from a hospital cafeteria charge.

Years ago someone charged airline tickets to us 3 weeks in advance. The credit card company said they would be meet them at the airport.

This is sad don't you think? Plus we pay $0 in credit card fees while others pay 20%.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Road Phantom wrote:
The first move is to resolve it amicably. At the time there was no reason to jump the gun. Most Campgrounds are trustworthy and want your return visit. I already mentioned calling the credit card company, I need viable solutions, thanks for your thoughts.

You do not have to get snarky. Call your credit card company and dispute the charge. You will get your money back and the campground will get a charge back. Your case is simple, and straight forward. Unless of course the $500 was a non-refundable deposit and you are trying to forget that!

soren
Explorer
Explorer
doxiemom11 wrote:
Most credit cards require you to notify them "in writing" of any dispute for charges. Call them and ask what procedure you need to follow. The only dispute we ever had was with an office where the "owner" would not let anyone else make any adjustments including applying your electric deposit to final electric bill and then refunding the remainer( but you could pay if you owed more). As we were there checking out we placed a call to the owner and demanded our credit be refunded before we left. Finally got it, but would never go back there again.

Sorry, buy your first statement is wrong. I have resolved several issues, in my favor, with a simple phone call to my CC provider. I gave a quick statement, and the issue was resolved quickly. I have also found that, if you have a compelling statement, the issue is handled in a manner that the customer is presumed to be correct, and the issue is tentatively resolved in your favor, prior to the merchant even being contacted. As for your other issue, I have repeatedly been in that situation, and being billed/refunded for your electric balance after you depart a long term site is quite common, and has never been an issue for me, or any of the other snowbirds/full-timers in our social circle. Not saying you were wrong to demand that the issue be resolved before you depart, but it's SOP to depart and have your balance addressed after you are gone.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Just keep it simple. Just call your credit card company and dispute it and they will refund your money.

That's WHY we use credit cards for purchases cause we can cancel it. :C

Once the credit card company has returned the charge I'd just forget about, why waste any time of your day trying to get back at them?

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

12th_Man_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
Even after a refund is issued it can take 3 or 4 days for it to appear on your credit card.
2014 GMC Duramax 4X4 DRW Crew

2015 DRV Tradition

Krow
Explorer
Explorer
We booked site for 4 months (Dec-Mar)in Florida about this time last year. In August we had a family tragedy that caused us to cancel that reservation. It took about a month for us to receive credit, minus the non-refundable portion of a couple hundred $(I think). The credit was processed from a different location than the campground in FL, somewhere in the mid-west US if I remember correctly.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
doxiemom11 wrote:
Most credit cards require you to notify them "in writing" of any dispute for charges.

If your bank requires you to dispute charges in writing, you should shred that card and find another bank. The only time I have ever had to submit anything in writing when disputing a charge was if the merchant in turn disputed the charge back, and the bank needed to escalate the claim.

Just shoot them an email. It's not like they need a registered letter.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
doxiemom11 wrote:

Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most credit cards require you to notify them "in writing" of any dispute for charges. Call them and ask what procedure you need to follow. The only dispute we ever had was with an office where the "owner" would not let anyone else make any adjustments including applying your electric deposit to final electric bill and then refunding the remainer( but you could pay if you owed more). As we were there checking out we placed a call to the owner and demanded our credit be refunded before we left. Finally got it, but would never go back there again.

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bumpyroad wrote:
JoeH wrote:
I would contact the CC company and then file a complaint with the state-- here's the link consumer complaint form

I looked on their website and their cancellation policy states:

Cancellations up to 30 days prior to scheduled stay, full refund minus a $10 service fee.

Cancellations within 30 days prior to stay will be handled on a case by case basis but generally will be refunded minus a $10 service fee.

with that cancellation policy I would get a decision from a manager/owner before doing anything drastic.
bumpy

The OP's reservation is for Dec 01,2018---- he's well within the 30 day window for a refund, minus the $10 service fee.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
JoeH wrote:
I would contact the CC company and then file a complaint with the state-- here's the link consumer complaint form

Cancellations up to 30 days prior to scheduled stay, full refund minus a $10 service fee.

Cancellations within 30 days prior to stay will be handled on a case by case basis but generally will be refunded minus a $10 service fee.

with that cancellation policy I would get a decision from a manager/owner before doing anything drastic.
bumpy

soren
Explorer
Explorer
Road Phantom wrote:
The first move is to resolve it amicably. At the time there was no reason to jump the gun. Most Campgrounds are trustworthy and want your return visit. I already mentioned calling the credit card company, I need viable solutions, thanks for your thoughts.

You were given a perfectly reasonable solution, that you should of done, well before stressing out over four calls to get the issue resolved. A five minute call to your CC complaint department would of placed the matter into their hands and gotten it resolved with no headaches at all. It's admirable that you find the need for an amicable resolution with the CG, but really, how far are you supposed to bend over before you are stressed to the max, with nothing to show for it?

Sadly, the fact is that more than a few front offices in CGs are run in an extremely incompetent manner. Reporting them to any state office is nothing but a waste of time. Most of these operations are guilty of nothing more than being staffed by poorly trained and paid help, with incompetent supervision. Heck, if that's a crime, I can think of one national chain of RV dealers/repairs shops that is quite guilty..........

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III

Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard