cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Atlanta GA then to Florida

sonuvabug
Explorer
Explorer
Mid April 2017, I'm attending a mid downtown Atlanta conference near Piedmont Park. I was thinking of driving our truck camper down from Canada (towing a cargo trailer with our maxi-scooters), staying at a camping facility reasonably nearby (30 minutes maybe if doable) so that I can hop on my maxi-scooter and ride into Atlanta for the three days. I understand the MARTA is potentially my friend here to.

After the conference, my sweetie is flying south. I would pick her up at the Atlanta airport or even further down south somewhere (either with scooter or the full TC set up) and we would continue our way for a 10 day vacation in Florida (both coasts).

The Atlanta area facility could be a state or gov't park or an actual RV campground ... I don't have any preference. I will not be spending much time at the campsite so basic power would be about all I need. I don't need a lot of campground amenities/attractions either as I won't be there much ... just to sleep basically. Most meals will be taken in the city so I won't even be around at mealtimes either.

What I do want is a clean, safe place to camp for about 3 nights with good showers and real turlets (not vaults). Someplace where my TC and trailer will be safe from undesirables when I'm not there. I also prefer not to ride through neighborhoods that are "seedy". Already been there done (Harlem, East St. Louis etc.) I am not afraid to ride on any type of road including superslabs ... at super slab traffic speeds.

I searched on Atlanta GA in this forum and read everything that I found. Given my needs, trip purpose and location, I'm thinking many of the previous suggestions may not apply to my case. BTW - we have visited Stone Mountain area (not campground) before.

OK then, you now know my situation, what campground suggestions do you have?
2007 Adventurer 90fws Truck Camper
2001 FORD F250 SuperCab; 8' box; 4x4, 7.3l diesel, rear Sumo Springs
14 REPLIES 14

sonuvabug
Explorer
Explorer
Sam Spade wrote:
Horsedoc wrote:
Looks like you have never been to Atlanta.

Who has never been to Atlanta ? Please use the quote feature.

I am in Atlanta now, for 10 days, on my motorcycle. IF you use some common sense, it is no worse than most BIG cities.

I believe Horsedoc is referring to me. I have been in Atlanta but did not really drive much there. It certainly didn't stand out as being worse than Toronto or other major cities. In fact, I can't even remember the traffic. I do remember the Coca Cola tour and the CNN tour.

I agree with your statement on common sense Sam ... funny how a little of that will take us a long way.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Horsedoc wrote:
Looks like you have never been to Atlanta.

Who has never been to Atlanta ?
Please use the quote feature.

I am in Atlanta now, for 10 days, on my motorcycle.
IF you use some common sense, it is no worse than most BIG cities.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looks like you have never been to Atlanta. You can make it the downtown area using surface streets if you come through Decatur. That is a longer (time wise) route but doable. Unless you leave very early in the morning, traffic will still be heavy.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

sonuvabug
Explorer
Explorer
Charles2222 wrote:
If you ride QE 401 your scooter must be something we call by another name here.Atlanta won't worry you.Twenty years ago 401 was as bad as Atlanta was two weeks ago to me.Stone Mtn. Is best I think.

I ride a 600 cc Honda SilverWing maxi-scooter. About 600 lbs., accelerates like a scalded dog with a top end around 100 mph. I totally respect congested, superslab roads ... they just don't scare me like they would some riders.

Charles2222
Explorer
Explorer
If you ride QE 401 your scooter must be something we call by another name here.Atlanta won't worry you.Twenty years ago 401 was as bad as Atlanta was two weeks ago to me.Stone Mtn. Is best I think.

Rangerman40
Explorer
Explorer
Stone Mountain, but ditch the scooter or you'll get your ass ran over. Take the bus.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
I'd be terrified to ride a scooter in the Atlanta traffic. I work a weekend 12 hr shift in part to avoid the traffic, which has become insane in recent years.

You might consider checking Boondockers Welcome, you might find an individual that would allow you to park for the few days you need to stay, might find someone with a poolhouse with a bath you could use, just a thought.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Bob_Shaw
Explorer
Explorer
Red Top Mountain State Park is a good option,on the North side, Atlanta South is pretty far out and I-75 on the south side is undergoing a lot of construction right now, as is I-75 on the North side for the new stadium. I think your best bet is Stone Mountain. It's the only decent RV Park with reasonable access to Marta, since Marta runs out into Dekalb County. I'm not sure about Jones RV Park, but the traffic on I-85 is horrible. When I first worked downtown I camped at Stone Mountain and took Marta into town. That was before the subway and Marta was only 25 cents back then, but, it was certainly doable. I've also stayed at Southern Oaks Mobile Home Park while my house was being built. It is right next to I-85 about 20 miles South of the city. It's about a 1/2 hour ride downtown from there, and you can catch Marta at either the airport or College Park Station. Actually though, it's quicker to drive in from there, if you can get parking. Southern Oaks does have about a dozen RV sites up front, but, they're pretty bare, a gravel parking lot with hook-ups basically. I was able to stay in a mobile home site, and it was pretty nice, but that's been about 20 years ago. There's a really good restaurant called Frank's right outside the park.

Again, if it were me, I'd stay at Stone Mountain. JMHO

junmy3
Explorer
Explorer
If I wanted to stay South of Atlanta I would probably stay at Atlanta South. High Falls and Indian springs are nice state parks, not COE parks but will add a good bit of driving. I have never even seen Atlanta South, the reviews I have seen would not scare me off.
Jim & Junnie
2016 Jay Flight 27RLS

RRinNFla
Explorer
Explorer
Since you are not looking for any amenities, I would not hesitate to recommend Jones RV park in Norcross, just outside the beltway near I85. We stayed there for a weekend. It is in a decent neighborhood, and there are plenty of nearby restaurants. I wouldn't think Stone Mt would be worth it for you. It is a resort, and you pay resort prices. High Falls is an hour from downtown, longer than that during rush hour.
Richard

2015 Prime Time Crusader 295RLT
2008 Ford F250 V10 (Gas), EC, SB, 4X4

sonuvabug
Explorer
Explorer
JoeH wrote:
We've stayed at Atlanta South RV a couple of times while passing thru the area. It's an OK place , right off I-75. Seemed to be a good number of temporary construction workers staying there. So during the day, the place was really quiet, at the start of the morning and end of the work day, people were coming and going.
As far as I'm concerned Atlanta has the worse traffic of anywhere I've been. Good luck on riding the scooter thru that mess.

Thanks for your suggestion Joe. Busy superslabs do not bother me as I regularly ride the 16 lane Hwy 401 near Toronto, ON Canada. I believe the "401" has the distinction of being the busiest highway in North America. That sounds impressive doesn't it? However, depending on the time of day and well into the night, when you're only moving at 20 mph because of the heavy volume, it's actually less impressive than it sounds ๐Ÿ˜‰

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
We've stayed at Atlanta South RV a couple of times while passing thru the area. It's an OK place , right off I-75. Seemed to be a good number of temporary construction workers staying there. So during the day, the place was really quiet, at the start of the morning and end of the work day, people were coming and going.
As far as I'm concerned Atlanta has the worse traffic of anywhere I've been. Good luck on riding the scooter thru that mess.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

sonuvabug
Explorer
Explorer
Sam Spade wrote:
I've asked....and researched as much as possible....and the ONLY one I have found that comes anywhere close to your needs is STONE MOUNTAIN.

My latest visit will require only a place to park the empty RV for about 10 days.....but RV storage spaces are at a premium near Metro Atlanta too.

I will be interested to see in any NEW information shows up in your thread.....because nothing new has the last 2 or 3 times it has come up.

One of the posts listed 2 CoE parks ... Indian Springs and High Falls and they sound like interesting options as they are on the right side of the city (south'ish) and accessible to the airport. Don't know about riding in or accessing the MARTA from these.

For me, Stone Mountain is a place I'd like to stay at and enjoy ... not just park my RV and hustle into town during the days. Seems like a waste of money to me ... especially if it is on the spendy side.

The horse park campground idea sounds pretty basic and austere ... but maybe that's all I really need.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
sonuvabug wrote:

OK then, you now know my situation, what campground suggestions do you have?

I've asked....and researched as much as possible....and the ONLY one I have found that comes anywhere close to your needs is STONE MOUNTAIN.

My latest visit will require only a place to park the empty RV for about 10 days.....but RV storage spaces are at a premium near Metro Atlanta too.

I will be interested to see in any NEW information shows up in your thread.....because nothing new has the last 2 or 3 times it has come up.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"