cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

August cammping

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
It appears that COVID really packed most parks this past camping season. With the rapid growth of RV sales, cities being hot spots and online learning, folks were every where. Grab your internet and school the kids on the road. A lot of families were out with their new rigs for several reasons. Motels were questionable as to being safe, many restaurants were closed as were many other vacation activities. So head to the woods and let the kids wander throughout the forest with their cell phones.
I wonder how many families have become disenchanted with this new found freedom and what is to be expected this coming season. According to the "experts" things should be well in hand by late summer, early fall. Things should open up and be closer to normal. Say they are right this time and our regular life returns, what do you guess the camping scene will be like? Folks have gotten the hang of camping and are starting to enjoy it more, thusly getting out more? Or found out it is more work than they thought and the DW still has to cook, so it's no vacation for her at all and reminds you that you should have never bought that d@mn thing!
Myself, I see the parks more crowded than previous years before, but not to the level they were this past season.
So as I sit here pondering our August trip, I guess that I best decide where we're headed and start making reservations, which is very unlike us. But don't want to be left high & dry.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!
18 REPLIES 18

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
A bunch of guesses backed up by assumptions, ponderings and favorable recollections.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
QCMan wrote:
It won't be too much longer before a lot of the impulse buyers that thought having an rv was a great idea realize that it actually entails work and upkeep. On top of that, the backing in fights will cause many wives to tell their husbands where they can put the rv.
Look for many bargains on used rv's by end of summer and the campsites will be available again. We have run across quite a few newbies that won't even handle their own stinky slinky and tried to get other people to do it for them under the pretense of not knowing what to do. There will be bargains galore!

Well maybe, there are surveys showing otherwise. But most expect these newbies to stick to short local, weekend, trips so they may not have much affect anyway. Especially if they start the schools back up in the east and west coast. Trapping the parents to near home trips.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

QCMan
Nomad III
Nomad III
It won't be too much longer before a lot of the impulse buyers that thought having an rv was a great idea realize that it actually entails work and upkeep. On top of that, the backing in fights will cause many wives to tell their husbands where they can put the rv.
Look for many bargains on used rv's by end of summer and the campsites will be available again. We have run across quite a few newbies that won't even handle their own stinky slinky and tried to get other people to do it for them under the pretense of not knowing what to do. There will be bargains galore!

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
I did not see that last summer during our Florida to Idaho and back via Hwy 2 and down thru NE and KS back to FL. 21 states, 33 camping spots and we got turned down once on a last minute call to a park. And that was right outside West Yellowstone. And our second call got us a spot for the night.

My belief is that this over crowding occurred in states with lockdowns that shut down state parks and restricted the number of campers allowed in private parks. So yes that caused local overcrowding.

Now some boondocking sites seem to be mobbed but since we had never been there before I cannot say if that was normal. A great boondocking siye outside YNP was packed but YNP closed almost all the park cg.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper